The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If you could choose which one would it be?

Ronalds.Kenins41

Best Style of Play  

141 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Our core is far from being built but the pieces are starting to fall into place. If you could chose the direction this team ended up taking and ending up in 5-10 years which of the above would it be? 

Both styles have cups 

Chicago 3 for 3 Pittsburgh 2 for 3

Boston 1 for 2 LA 2 for 2 

So there really isn't a right or wrong answer. 

I hate seeing our guys get bullied. I've hated that for the past 8 years so I'm down for a different style of play. I prefer the rough and tumble playoff hockey. I get excited about big hits and hemming the opposition in their end for extended periods of time as much as I enjoy a goal. OP, your poll is very biased. Just because a team plays the style of play I mentioned does not mean they're a low scoring team. There's nothing stopping us from scoring 3 or 4 goals a game with that style of play. A common misconception is that you can only build that kind of a team with a bunch of giants in your lineup. Wrong. It's about drilling that culture up and down your lineup.

A team full of big bodied puck possession monsters. Imagine Malkin, Jagr and Thornton fending off defenders and cycling like the Sedin's. A little bit overkill but it's the best way to try to explain what I want.

Cycling the puck is a basic skill and when you have monsters like say Kassian down low who can effectively utilize their body the cycle becomes a really good weapon.

Offensively minded, but not pissing away opportunities with shots through traffic from the point and shots from the boards.

34 minutes ago, Bur14Kes17 said:

Chicago and Pittsburg play the game the way it's meant to be played. If I want to watch a 1-0 or 2-1 score line then I'll watch soccer. I would much rather win games 4-2 or 5-4

I want the good ol days of 5-4 wins.  Lol i'd rather it be a standard of 4-5 goals per.

26 minutes ago, meh_wassup said:

I hate seeing our guys get bullied. I've hated that for the past 8 years so I'm down for a different style of play. I prefer the rough and tumble playoff hockey. I get excited about big hits and hemming the opposition in their end for extended periods of time as much as I enjoy a goal. OP, your poll is very biased. Just because a team plays the style of play I mentioned does not mean they're a low scoring team. There's nothing stopping us from scoring 3 or 4 goals a game with that style of play. A common misconception is that you can only build that kind of a team with a bunch of giants in your lineup. Wrong. It's about drilling that culture up and down your lineup.

I never implied that Boston and LA are low scoring. But its about what you specialize in. The high tempo style does result in MORE goals. But like I said there is no right or wrong answer. 

Some people are entertained by bure and Patrick Kane type players and a lot of speed throughout their team . Others prefer kronwall type hits and Thomas type saves. It really is personal opinion. 

Chicago has beaten both la and Boston. LA has beaten Chicago in their second cup. Boston has beaten Pittsburgh. Both styles are equally successful it really just depends on what you enjoy. 

Other.

Since we lack skill, finish and high offense prospects in our system and current team. I would like us to play to our strengths. We have a very defensive group of forwards and Dmen who are fast and can quickly clog the neutral zone. 

I can't think of a better system than the Nuetral Zone trap. It produced 3 Stanley cups for the NJ Devils. It's boring and archaic but it's bullet proof. If we are trying to win now it's the only way. 

A "run and gun" won't work with the lack of finish we have. It will be more like a "run and save/ miss the net."

We could also cycle the puck for an entire shift without taking a shot on net. The best defense is playing in the other teams zone. 

8 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Other.

Since we lack skill, finish and high offense prospects in our system and current team. I would like us to play to our strengths. We have a very defensive group of forwards and Dmen who are fast and can quickly clog the neutral zone. 

I can't think of a better system than the Nuetral Zone trap. It produced 3 Stanley cups for the NJ Devils. It's boring and archaic but it's bullet proof. If we are trying to win now it's the only way. 

A "run and gun" won't work with the lack of finish we have. It will be more like a "run and save/ miss the net."

We could also cycle the puck for an entire shift without taking a shot on net. The best defense is playing in the other teams zone. 

During that same period the red wings and Avs also had some success. No system is more successful than the other. They are equally successful if you look over the long term and at all cup champions. 

6 minutes ago, Ronalds.Kenins41 said:

During that same period the red wings and Avs also had some success. No system is more successful than the other. They are equally successful if you look over the long term and at all cup champions. 

They had skill and finish. If we want to hurry this thing up and win with what we have we need to fill up that Nuetral Zone. 

The Devils were built a lot like we are, great 2 way players with solid D and Goaltending. I don't care how boring the hockey is, the parade won't be. 

12 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Why can't we have both a high offense game with a good defense?

actually, our 2011 team was one of the only teams in NHL history to be in the top 5 in O,D,PK and PP. If Boston wouldn't have hacked the cup out of our hands, that team would have gone down as one of the most completely balanced Stanley cup champions ever. IMHO. 

20 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

They had skill and finish. If we want to hurry this thing up and win with what we have we need to fill up that Nuetral Zone. 

The Devils were built a lot like we are, great 2 way players with solid D and Goaltending. I don't care how boring the hockey is, the parade won't be. 

We are at a cross roads in a very fluid state right now; we can trend either way. By no means am I saying its all set in stone but with boeser, horvat, jullevi and Baertschi we build around them for a high tempo team. Most likely though we will need a lot more work though. With gudbranson, trymakin and virtanen, Horvat we can go for a more defensive style. We can even do both as well. 

Jim Benning is building from the net out but he is nowhere near done with the forwards though. Doesn't mean we should think he is making a Boston Bruins team. A lot can and will change. 

Archived