The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canada Overwhelmed By 100,000 Chinese Millionaire Immigrants

Salmonberries

23 minutes ago, smokes said:

Other rich people have done it in the past without a problem. How many of us have heard of rich Americans going over and buying real estate in other countries they never live in full time. Has never really been an issue then?

We are discussing Vancouver which is a city and a small one at that. Not a country.

red herring alert.

2 minutes ago, riffraff said:

We are discussing Vancouver which is a city and a small one at that. Not a country.

red herring alert.

It's happening in Toronto, Montreal as well. And when discussing about buying real estate in other countries, those properties still need to be in a city of a country. Just like Vancouver is a city in Canada.

2 hours ago, thejazz97 said:

Chinese immigrants aren't screwing over the country, Chinese millionaire immigrants are.

It's similar to Muslims vs Islamic terrorists.

lol

Pure garbage.

The only thing I see is land priced in the GVRD have skyrocketed.

Try purchasing land in London or a similar world class city.

7 minutes ago, smokes said:

Thier actions? Did they break any laws? Or did they simply walk into a door that was opened up to them by Canadian government? The government laid out the rules of elegibility and Asians just happen to be able to fit the bill. Who sold the houses to Asians at disgusting prices?  Your argument is exactly what lead to the headtax that tarnished Canadian history. There are people coming into Canada by the truckload. Immigrants from all over the world are surging into Canada, so are refugees, at the very least, the millionaire immigrants can pull thier weight and not be such a drain to government resources. 

A blind eye is a blind eye.

youre missing the info people are presenting to you.

they are a drain on the system when they abuse it by claiming

low income and reaping the benefits.

41 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

The crappy thing is that anybody willing to call it like it is is automatically accused of being a racist.

'Calling it like it is' is rarely accurate or fully informed. Feels good though.

3 minutes ago, smokes said:

It's happening in Toronto, Montreal as well. And when discussing about buying real estate in other countries, those properties still need to be in a city of a country. Just like Vancouver is a city in Canada.

Well that's fine.  Pick your Canadian city.  It's still wrong.

but whatever.  The damage is done.  Vancouver was great.  It had the right mix. It had a community feel.  It's just an overpriced void of soul now.

all I'm concerned about now are the environmental implications.

Just now, riffraff said:

A blind eye is a blind eye.

youre missing the info people are presenting to you.

they are a drain aim the system when they abuse it by claiming

low income and reaping the benefits.

I am not missing the point. You are assuming that all Chinese millionaire immigrants buy property then claim low income and drain the system. If that is not a racist statement then I don't know what is. Where are the numbers of what you are stating because if it was really so many people doing it as you state, the press would have a hey day and not let that story go to sleep. I don't see that happening.

Just now, smokes said:

Thier actions? Did they break any laws? Or did they simply walk into a door that was opened up to them by Canadian government? The government laid out the rules of elegibility and Asians just happen to be able to fit the bill. Who sold the houses to Asians at disgusting prices?  Your argument is exactly what lead to the headtax that tarnished Canadian history. There are people coming into Canada by the truckload. Immigrants from all over the world are surging into Canada, so are refugees, at the very least, the millionaire immigrants can pull thier weight and not be such a drain to government resources. 

First, don't try to turn my words into bs hate speech.  

I never said they committed any crimes.  Didn't even hint at it.  

I said it doesn't matter what type of people are buy the houses.  

I think the majority of the fault is on the government.   They shouldn't be allowing ANY groups of people to come in with their millions and raise the prices like they have.

yes, people are willing to sell to them, but if you are making 300k on top of your asking price, why wouldent you sell?

If the investors weren't there, neither is the obnoxious price. 

I'm a Canadian first person.  

we should be worrying about Canadian middle class working their ass off their whole life and never getting the chance to own their own home.  

We can't do that with the huge amount of immigrants we have coming in.  

Personally, if you don't plan on living here, paying our taxes, contributing to our country, no house for you.  

I don't mind us letting in immigrants, as long as they are here to contribute.  

3 minutes ago, smokes said:

I am not missing the point. You are assuming that all Chinese millionaire immigrants buy property then claim low income and drain the system. If that is not a racist statement then I don't know what is. Where are the numbers of what you are stating because if it was really so many people doing it as you state, the press would have a hey day and not let that story go to sleep. I don't see that happening.

Buyers are are claiming homemaker and student as owner titles but You're right,

im a racist.

lets just carry on then.  No problem here eh

recently here in prince rupert 3 separate restaurants were sold to one group 2 of these were owned by long time chinese residents the third was a partnership owned by 2 local guys ,all 3 restaurants are now owned by the same offshore group ,2 of these were renovated 1 extensivly. not one penny was spent locally ,either materials or labour? , now you might say so what, but in a small town thats not the way to do business , apparently the reason they chose to come here was the crazy cost of restaurants in the lower mainland. needless to say all the other restaurants here are doing better because of the attitude of the "new people in town"

2 minutes ago, smokes said:

Watch the news. They are having a hay day.  And it is getting so bad the the government had to implement a 15% tax on this exact situation. 

Quit trying to make everyone out to be a racist.   

Just now, drummerboy said:

First, don't try to turn my words into bs hate speech.  

I never said they committed any crimes.  Didn't even hint at it.  

I said it doesn't matter what type of people are buy the houses.  

I think the majority of the fault is on the government.   They shouldn't be allowing ANY groups of people to come in with their millions and raise the prices like they have.

yes, people are willing to sell to them, but if you are making 300k on top of your asking price, why wouldent you sell?

If the investors weren't there, neither is the obnoxious price. 

I'm a Canadian first person.  

we should be worrying about Canadian middle class working their ass off their whole life and never getting the chance to own their own home.  

We can't do that with the huge amount of immigrants we have coming in.  

Personally, if you don't plan on living here, paying our taxes, contributing to our country, no house for you.  

I don't mind us letting in immigrants, as long as they are here to contribute.  

If it is the government letting people in, why are the locals attacking the people merely walking in the door that has been open? If the door is to be closed, it is the locals who should take it up with the lawmakers.

2 minutes ago, chon derry said:

recently here in prince rupert 3 separate restaurants were sold to one group 2 of these were owned by long time chinese residents the third was a partnership owned by 2 local guys ,all 3 restaurants are now owned by the same offshore group ,2 of these were renovated 1 extensivly. not one penny was spent locally ,either materials or labour? , now you might say so what, but in a small town thats not the way to do business , apparently the reason they chose to come here was the crazy cost of restaurants in the lower mainland. needless to say all the other restaurants here are doing better because of the attitude of the "new people in town"

They did renovations and didn't spend a penny locally? 

1 minute ago, smokes said:

If it is the government letting people in, why are the locals attacking the people merely walking in the door that has been open? If the door is to be closed, it is the locals who should take it up with the lawmakers.

So because a door is open it makes it ok to do shady business.

ok.

i see where you're coming from now.

Because the people and the government have never been in the same page.  

They want it to look like they are doing what is best for us, all while lining their pockets with awesome foreign cash.  

instead of bitching about investors, we should be bitching about the lawmakers to actually do somet to fix the problem.  

2 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Watch the news. They are having a hay day.  And it is getting so bad the the government had to implement a 15% tax on this exact situation. 

Quit trying to make everyone out to be a racist.   

I'm not making everyone out to be a racist. There are many who feel like I do, the government does little to curb the problem with house pricing and the immigrants are the ones being tarred and feathered while our fearless leaders are walking around unscathed.

3 minutes ago, riffraff said:

So because a door is open it makes it ok to do shady business.

ok.

i see where you're coming from now.

If you think this is shady business then you haven't been in business. Taking advantage is not reserved for just the Chinese.

I'm not making everyone out to be a racist. There are many who feel like I do, the government does little to curb the problem with house pricing and the immigrants are the ones being tarred and feathered while our fearless leaders are walking around unscathed.

And the rest of us are racist for being pissed at both parties.

lol. Well played!

Archived