The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Groundhog problems.

Bocivus

Yes, I've done my research but I'm hoping to get a personal experience or advice.  A groundhog has been spotted in my backyard and at first I didn't think much of it.  Now it has dug holes next to and into my foundation to my house.  You all know I'm a gun guy but I don't want to shoot the damn thing as it's only doing what's in its nature to do.  I bought a humane trap but I haven't caught it.  Any tips on on a personal experience on how to lure it in the trap so I can take it up the road and release it?  Any help would be appreciated.  I really don't want to shoot it but at the same time it's starting to damage to the foundation on my house.  Thanks in advance.

Just now, Bocivus said:

Yes, I've done my research but I'm hoping to get a personal experience or advice.  A groundhog has been spotted in my backyard and at first I didn't think much of it.  Now it has dug holes next to and into my foundation to my house.  You all know I'm a gun guy but I don't want to shoot the damn thing as it's only doing what's in its nature to do.  I bought a humane trap but I haven't caught it.  Any tips on on a personal experience on how to lure it in the trap so I can take it up the road and release it?  Any help would be appreciated.  I really don't want to shoot it but at the same time it's starting to damage to the foundation on my house.  Thanks in advance.

Buy one of these and make a game of it! ;)

3157ee0.jpg

1 minute ago, Bocivus said:

Yes.  I've tried broccoli, asparagus, cantaloupe, apples...  Maybe I'm being outsmarted but a caddyshack character.  Wouldn't take much. :lol:

The one thing I didn't think of was washing and scrubbing the cage with unscented soap.  It makes sense since their sense of smell is probably pretty good like any other rodent.

13 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

The one thing I didn't think of was washing and scrubbing the cage with unscented soap.  It makes sense since their sense of smell is probably pretty good like any other rodent.

Good thinking.  But...  Tried it.  I'm at the end of my patience.  But again, I respect ALL life, and I really don't want to kill the poor bastard.  But at the same time I don't want my house to be ruined. 

5 minutes ago, Bocivus said:

Talk about a rock and a hard spot.  Contrary to how most feel about me, I'm a sensitive guy.  I'd feelike awful if I shot it.  :(

Does the city have any vector control or animal control service that can help?  If they're taking your taxes anyhow... 

12 hours ago, Kragar said:

Does the city have any vector control or animal control service that can help?  If they're taking your taxes anyhow... 

Taxes...  :lol:.  I don't know, man. I live near a county that euthanizes pit Bulls simply for being the breed.  I don't trust anything in government.  I'd REALLY like to catch it and release it far away from my house.

3 minutes ago, Bocivus said:

Taxes...  :lol:.  I don't know, man. I live in a county that euthanizes pit Bulls simply for being the breed.  I don't trust anything in government.  I'd REALLY like to catch it and release it far away from my house.

maybe next to City Hall? :bigblush:

1 hour ago, Bocivus said:

Haha!!  Maybe they're animal lovers.

Maybe you could use a tranquilizer gun.  Make a nice comfy bed for it in a crate, sprinkle some lavender in there.  Tranquilize it. Take a scenic drive out into the country and find a flowery meadow to lay it in.  Maybe when you get home you could make an add on its behalf in the groundhog personals section to help it find a nice mate.

9 hours ago, riffraff said:

Maybe you could use a tranquilizer gun.  Make a nice comfy bed for it in a crate, sprinkle some lavender in there.  Tranquilize it. Take a scenic drive out into the country and find a flowery meadow to lay it in.  Maybe when you get home you could make an add on its behalf in the groundhog personals section to help it find a nice mate.

I'm really hoping it goes in the trap so I can release it near my work.  There's a bunch of those things out there.  One big happy family.

Archived