The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Suggestions for jumpstarting the Power Play

*Buzzsaw*

This team is clearly snake-bit... and the worst thing, is they know it.

The Power Play is the best option to get players scoring again... but the way it is being coached right now is not working.

It needs a pretty thorough shakeup.

First thing:

Sedins should be split up... one on the first unit, one on the second.  It is clear their cycle game is not working, other teams have got Daniel and Henrik's moves memorized, they cut off the passes through the middle of the ice and force them into passes around the perimeter.  90% of any given PP now is the Sedins passing the puck around the perimeter... and it is clearly not working.

What is the main advantage of having one less Sedin on a unit? >>>  It's that you now have a replacement player who can take the puck to the net... and that is the big element that is missing from the Canuck's PP... there is no threat someone will actually try to take the puck from the halfboards, go to the net and either dish it off or try to jam it in.  All the teams playing the Canucks know nobody will actually take the puck to the net... so they can focus on blocking passes.   On the other hand, if there is a threat someone will actually drive the net, then they have to be much less focused on getting their sticks in the passing lanes.

Who are the Canuck's who can take the puck to the net? >>>>  Horvat, Sutter and Baertschi...  So you have one of those guys positioned on the halfboards, and all the PP passing is designed to give that player the opportunity for a little open ice which will allow him to take the puck to the net.   He makes his move... and either 1) takes it to the net for a shot or a jam, or 2) takes it halfway, then drop passes the puck to the defenseman behind, who then takes a shot or 3) passes the puck laterally across the surface to the other side, where someone one times it.

Whichever the choice is, when a player takes the puck to the net, there is inevitably havoc created, and players get out of position... this gives opportunities for rebounds, errors, puck bounces, etc. etc.

We have seen the same Sedin quarter-backed power play for the last 10 years... it worked great for 7 years... now it doesn't. 

TIME TO MAKE SOME CHANGES.

Willie will do the same thing night in and night out, so who cares?

With a powerplay that bad they should be trying every option they can. Park Tryamkin in front of the net? Try Gudbranson on the first unit? Put Virtanen in a shooting position? Do something that makes me think that they're trying to improve it!

Watching the Sedins cycle it for 30 seconds until they lose possession is just frustrating to watch.

10 minutes ago, CaNuCkSLoUiE23 said:

Bring back Sami Salo. 

Sounds like a good idea, but I heard he is on the IR after injuring himself cooking dinner and having a hot potato land on his foot :P 

I sure miss his cannon, and I am talking about his slapshot. 

Damn I am on a role here, almost Bamba level? No, ok I will just shutup. 

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

With a powerplay that bad they should be trying every option they can. Park Tryamkin in front of the net? Try Gudbranson on the first unit? Put Virtanen in a shooting position? Do something that makes me think that they're trying to improve it!

Watching the Sedins cycle it for 30 seconds until they lose possession is just frustrating to watch.

Parking Tryamkin in front of the net would be a great starting point.

Just now, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Parking Tryamkin in front of the net would be a great starting point.

I was kind of half joking, but really why not?

Send a message to the guys not getting it done on the PP. Put some players there who have something to prove.

8 minutes ago, Tomato Pajamas said:

We can jump into a time machine and go back to 2011. I mean, I've been spending all my time on youtube rewatching old highlights so that's kind of the same, right?

If there really was a functional time machine I'm pretty sure I'd be using it for far more sinister things than watching hockey. 

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I'm pretty sure WD isn't in charge of the power play. The PP coach goes over zone entry and setup options then the rest is up to the players. Do you guys really think WD tells the Sedins to cycle in the corner for a certain amount of time? 

1 minute ago, LaBamba said:

I'm pretty sure WD isn't in charge of the power play. The PP coach goes over zone entry and setup options then the rest is up to the players. Do you guys really think WD tells the Sedins to cycle in the corner for a certain amount of time? 

The players will do what the coach tells them to. If the coach can't get his players to buy into a system he shouldn't be the coach.

Powerplay time can also be taken away too. He'll never take it away from the Sedins though because they'll play politics over what's best for the team.

2 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Maybe Willie doesn't tell them to cycle... but he's been watching them for two seasons, and all they do everytime they get on the ice is cycle... do you think it is possible he hasn't noticed?  Or thought perhaps they might do the same if put on the PP together?

The situation is simple...  in the past the Sedins were great players and scored bundles... unfortunately they think they can continue to live in that past.

Until someone tells them their style is no longer successful, they will continue to follow their old habits.

These guys are being paid a lot of money... if they can't adapt to new conditions, then they should have their ice time reduced.

I think if they are challenged, they might respond by learning some news styles and skills.

25 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Maybe Willie doesn't tell them to cycle... but he's been watching them for two seasons, and all they do everytime they get on the ice is cycle... do you think it is possible he hasn't noticed?  Or thought perhaps they might do the same if put on the PP together?

27 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The players will do what the coach tells them to. If the coach can't get his players to buy into a system he shouldn't be the coach.

Powerplay time can also be taken away too. He'll never take it away from the Sedins though because they'll play politics over what's best for the team.

That is what the sedins do though. Thier cycle is a shadow of its former self without a Threat on the Blueline. We have no shot and no rushing d-men. It was really apparent today when you watched our PK defending against erik karlsson and their PK defending against nothing on the blue line. with no blue line threat you make a small box in front of the net and keep everything to the outside. With erik karlsson on the point we had to stretch our box further toward the blue line which opens up a box of McCain deep and delicious cake in front of the net for the Sedins to feast on. 

A cycle cannot be effective without a threat on the point. It was been the biggest reason for the rise and fall of the Sedins' production. WD has nothing to do with this. He can only use the offensively challenged d-men he has. 

5 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

That is what the sedins do though. Thier cycle is a shadow of its former self without a Threat on the Blueline. We have no shot and no rushing d-men. It was really apparent today when you watched our PK defending against erik karlsson and their PK defending against nothing on the blue line. with no blue line threat you make a small box in front of the net and keep everything to the outside. With erik karlsson on the point we had to stretch our box further toward the blue line which opens up a box of McCain deep and delicious cake in front of the net for the Sedins to feast on. 

A cycle cannot be effective without a threat on the point. It was been the biggest reason for the rise and fall of the Sedins' production. WD has nothing to do with this. He can only use the offensively challenged d-men he has. 

Has he even tried anyone but Edler and Larsen in that spot? How do we know Tryamkin or Gudbranson can't one time them from the point? 

Stecher had 5 shots playing with Edler against the Caps. Seems to me they have a guy that has looked good in that role, but he's in the AHL.

Until he tries different looks on the PP he doesn't get a free pass. 

16 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Has he even tried anyone but Edler and Larsen in that spot? How do we know Tryamkin or Gudbranson can't one time them from the point? 

Stecher had 5 shots playing with Edler against the Caps. Seems to me they have a guy that has looked good in that role, but he's in the AHL.

Until he tries different looks on the PP he doesn't get a free pass. 

Again pp is handled by pp coach not WD how many times does this need to be discussed...

5 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Again pp is handled by pp coach not WD how many times does this need to be discussed...

Willie is the head coach. He's responsible for all play on the ice as well as working with his assistants.

If somethings not working he has complete authority to step in and try and make it work.

Archived