The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) gaunce and expansion draft

Just curious to know if gaunce has to play a certain number of games to be eligible for expansion? I think Las Vegas would have a lot of interest in him and I'd rather keep him with the Canucks. Is it worth it to send him to Utica for part of the year to make him not eligible for the expansion? Not really sure how it all works in this case.

1 hour ago, RetroCanuck said:

Just curious to know if gaunce has to play a certain number of games to be eligible for expansion? I think Las Vegas would have a lot of interest in him and I'd rather keep him with the Canucks. Is it worth it to send him to Utica for part of the year to make him not eligible for the expansion? Not really sure how it all works in this case.

Every player not protected is exposed with the exception of players with less than 2 pro-years under an NHL contract.  For players above 20 one game in any pro-league (as long as they are under contract) counts as a pro-year.  So AHL years count.

Gaunce will be exposed if he is not protected regardless of the number of games he plays.  

Among the skaters who are exposed there needs to be at least 1D + 2Fs who have played 40 NHL games this season or 70 NHL games over 2 seasons.  

1 hour ago, Ojibwa72 said:

I would say Waive Sbisa and see if there's takers first as that would open up that Place for Try this year.

Then I would say you don't understand the requirements of the expansion draft.

We need to expose a veteran like Sbisa as per the rules. If he's gone, and we don't suddenly get Alex Biega into a bunch of games, then we either have to acquire another D to expose, or expose one of Edler, Tanev, or Gudbranson.

Gaunce isn't worth much. I don't have confidence that he'll be an impact player either. 

Over two seasons with VAN:

39 games played - 1 goals 2 assists (3 points)

Just another "Jensen". Very good in the AHL, not so much in the NHL. 

2 hours ago, D-Money said:

Then I would say you don't understand the requirements of the expansion draft.

We need to expose a veteran like Sbisa as per the rules. If he's gone, and we don't suddenly get Alex Biega into a bunch of games, then we either have to acquire another D to expose, or expose one of Edler, Tanev, or Gudbranson.

remember its a big if if someone takes him. If not he can still be exposed if he goes to the A as he meets requirements.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Gaunce isn't worth much. I don't have confidence that he'll be an impact player either. 

They have asked him to change his game to be more of an energy/shut-down player.  That's how he was developed in Utica - bottom-6 with the workers / Shinkaruk was top-6 with the skilled players.  They don't see him as a scorer and Gaunce has accepted it.  Last April he was talking of how he thinks he can be a shutdown C in the NHL and earlier in the year WD was talking of what a great attitude he had to accept that change in role because many players don't.  

1 hour ago, mll said:

They have asked him to change his game to be more of an energy/shut-down player.  That's how he was developed in Utica - bottom-6 with the workers / Shinkaruk was top-6 with the skilled players.  They don't see him as a scorer and Gaunce has accepted it.  Last April he was talking of how he thinks he can be a shutdown C in the NHL and earlier in the year WD was talking of what a great attitude he had to accept that change in role because many players don't.  

We are such a slow team though, and he is as slow as the Sedins.  They are 35.  He isn't.  We need more speed in the bottom 6.  If you are going to be a defense first player then you know you are going to get your opportunities on the counter.  You need speed for that.  Hansen and Bo are quite good in that role.  Gaunce will never get any offense playing that way, and I don't care where you are in the roster 6th D or 13th forward.  1 goal in 40 games is REAL bad.

On 11/23/2016 at 1:29 PM, NUCKER67 said:

He may not bring a lot in a trade right now but he does a lot of the little things well that don't necessarily get picked up in the stats. 

I actually think that he does have a higher offensive upside but that isn't really the role he has been asked to play, he's still adapting to the NHL so I would expect steady improvement.

Archived