The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Question) Draft Age

ken kaniff

There has been recent talk about moving the draft age to 19 or 20 years old so that GMs have a better chance to draft better prospects and reduce the chance of drafting a bust. I think this is a great idea but Im not to sure how they would go about doing this. Would they just not have an NHL entry draft for 2-3 years while those 17 year olds that were to be drafted age appropriately? 

P.S. I strongly doubt the NHL actually does this. The PA would veto this in a heartbeat but it would benefit the game fo sho.

2-3 years?  Draft age is currently 18 (on or before Sept 15 of their draft year).

To change the draft age to 19 they would just have to skip the draft for one year.  Or they could have the draft, but only with previously undrafted players.One other proposal I heard would be for one year, to have the draft where 18 year olds could only be drafted in the first round.  Otherwise, only 19 or older.

I don't see any reason why the PA would stand in the way of this, it doesn't increase or decrease the amount of paying jobs in the NHL, AHL or ECHL.  It just shifts the age of eligibility.

I meant 17/18 year olds. still my bad

And I can see how that can work. Only 18 year olds in the 1st round. That way exceptional players could still go to the bad team. 

I think the PA would have a problem cuz the young players have to wait another year to get the big bucks. Also they're taking a year off of a possible career. 

Yeah you would think they would have to shift the rules on RFA as well. Otherwise they would be owning the players souls until they are a year or two older than currently. Almost 30 for some. PA wouldn't be very happy about that extended age before they are able to properly bargain for contracts. 

45 minutes ago, ken kaniff said:

I think the PA would have a problem cuz the young players have to wait another year to get the big bucks. Also they're taking a year off of a possible career.

They typically wait anyways.  How many 18 year olds, currently drafted beyond the first round, actually make the NHL in their first year?  Almost zero.  They are usually sent back to junior pretty quick.  The only thing they are missing out on is getting to attend a pro training camp.

1 hour ago, goalie13 said:

2-3 years?  Draft age is currently 18 (on or before Sept 15 of their draft year).

To change the draft age to 19 they would just have to skip the draft for one year.  Or they could have the draft, but only with previously undrafted players.One other proposal I heard would be for one year, to have the draft where 18 year olds could only be drafted in the first round.  Otherwise, only 19 or older.

I don't see any reason why the PA would stand in the way of this, it doesn't increase or decrease the amount of paying jobs in the NHL, AHL or ECHL.  It just shifts the age of eligibility.

Yup, the PA gets concessions out of a proposed change to draft age as well. As much as it'd delay potential earnings for the select few players who jump straight to the NHL, it wouldn't affect the other players at all.

The other part of the proposal I've heard is with the switch to a draft age of 19, the CHL/NHL agreement would also be altered to allow players in their draft +1 year to go to the AHL if they don't make their NHL team. This means the CHL teams would be guaranteed another year of McDavid/Reinhart/Ekblad type players but could lose players like Virtanen or Strome to the AHL (while many would still stay in junior).

But it'd be a simple transition, where they'd either do a partial change in one year or just wait to roll it into effect a year later.

3 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

The other part of the proposal I've heard is with the switch to a draft age of 19, the CHL/NHL agreement would also be altered to allow players in their draft +1 year to go to the AHL if they don't make their NHL team. This means the CHL teams would be guaranteed another year of McDavid/Reinhart/Ekblad type players but could lose players like Virtanen or Strome to the AHL (while many would still stay in junior).

Personally, I am all for it.  I think it's a good compromise.  I've always thought that draft age was too low, making it a bit of a crap shoot.

2 hours ago, goalie13 said:

Personally, I am all for it.  I think it's a good compromise.  I've always thought that draft age was too low, making it a bit of a crap shoot.

Same here. How many times has there been a player that has an average draft year then explode in offense the next year. Christian Dvorak would be a 1st round pick for sure. Brock Boeser would be a top 10 pick etc... 

And players like Virtanen would have gone much later (still want the kid to become great but did not deserve to go 6th overall)

2 hours ago, goalie13 said:

Ah, but it's so exciting for those top names! :P

But the crapshoot that's even the top 10 at times is a legit reason to up the draft age.

5 hours ago, goalie13 said:

One other proposal I heard would be for one year, to have the draft where 18 year olds could only be drafted in the first round.  Otherwise, only 19 or older.

This proposal is interesting. This would make the value of late-round 1st-round picks skyrocket. Want an 18-year old? You have to have your 1st.

I've wanted the draft to get pushed back one year for a long time. Yes there might be one guy every year who is playing in junior that should be in the NHL. But that's a small price to pay (and those exceptional guys could always go play in Europe for a season). Drafting will be a lot easier after seeing an additional year of development. Players will be a lot more mature. It will be good for the CHL and great for world juniors. 

After the Linseman case they phased it in from 18 to twenty over two years, dropping it to 19 in '79 and to 18 in '80 (Gretzky and Messier, it was ruled,  could be drafted at 18 in '79 because they had played a year in the WHA. The Oilers then snagged both 18 year olds, protecting Gretzky in the expansion/merger draft scenario and stealing Messier in the third round.

Archived