The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Article) Tryamkin was right

Davathor

5 hours ago, snucks said:

There is no substitute for size. The Canucks could have had to large guys playing D but have botched it.  The biggest problem with Canucks is management over thinking it. They are not genius's that for sure. Put the C on the player that deserves it (Horvat) bring Pedan on the D and things will start to fall into place but the Sedins could also be split up at times. Another player that can do it all and is miss used is Sutter.

& you're preachin' to my choir!

4 hours ago, Baggins said:

You're putting words in my mouth. I said Bowman didn't babysit players in the off-season. No coach does. It's up to the players to do what's asked. I don't need any proof it's done here we all know it is. All players have an exit interview at the end of the season here. This is when they are told what to work on and what is expected. It's up to the player to put in the work in the off-season. If a player can't motivate himself to put in the work you get Tryamkin this season - you don't play. It's no different to what Bowman did. Do you think he'll find his motivation next summer after sitting out?

Grabner had more than one golden opportunity to make this team and showed up in poor shape year after year. The spot went to Raymond two years in a row. Grabner squandered several opportunities including when traded to Florida and yet again showing up in poor shape. Nobody is going to babysit players in the off-season. Tryamkin isn't the first to show up to camp in poor shape and he won't be the last. Some just think they're good enough they don't have to put in the work. Not a good attitude for a young player.

You just showed the difference between a mediocre coach and a great coach, and the difference is obvious and even in Jr A. I played in the late 80's and our coach completely called out one of our players in the locker room and told him if he shows up out of shape then he wouldn't even make the team the following season. It worked, the guy showed up in better condition than most the next season so sorry but if it was me i'd have done the same with Try, either show up fit or sit, or not even make the team at all. There is nothing wrong with this approach! 

28 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

You just showed the difference between a mediocre coach and a great coach, and the difference is obvious and even in Jr A. I played in the late 80's and our coach completely called out one of our players in the locker room and told him if he shows up out of shape then he wouldn't even make the team the following season. It worked, the guy showed up in better condition than most the next season so sorry but if it was me i'd have done the same with Try, either show up fit or sit, or not even make the team at all. There is nothing wrong with this approach! 

Nothing wrong with this approach if you don't mind throwing away valuable assets.  So with your approach, Tram would now be playing in the KHL instead of wasting space in the Canucks lineup. Maybe you like that idea better, but I don't, I am a Canucks fan.

On 1/14/2017 at 9:56 PM, Lancaster said:

Didn't Tryamkin get married during the off-season too?

Wedding planning, the wedding itself, the honeymoon, then the mental/physical relaxation required afterwards.  It could have easily taken up to a month of his time.  A month not doing NHL level training may had impacted this performance a bit. 

Perhaps, but should that give Tryamkin a pass? And what if he shows up to camp next year being somewhat overweight and a bit out of condition? Will that be brushed off as, "Oh well, he was celebrating his first wedding anniversary"? I like to think that is is a one off and he'll do better in the future.

But more to my point mentioned earlier, what if we were talking about Edler (or some other whipping boy), would he be getting the same pass, or would he be being vilified by certain posters on this forum? 

regards,  G.

3 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Nothing wrong with this approach if you don't mind throwing away valuable assets.  So with your approach, Tram would now be playing in the KHL instead of wasting space in the Canucks lineup. Maybe you like that idea better, but I don't, I am a Canucks fan.

So just to get your position correct, if a player shows up to camp out of shape/in poor condition then he should be gifted a spot if he is a valuable asset?

What if that current whipping boy Megna shows up to camp next year (assuming he is here next year) and is out of shape? Should he be handed a spot because he might go somewhere else? Of course, what am I saying, he's only AHL material so we don't care, right?

What if Horvat shows up to camp next year, out of shape and in such poor condition that his effectiveness is significantly diminished for the first month of the season? This would be okay because he's a valuable asset, right?

And what if he showed up in bad shape the year after that, and the year after that? And what if he gets playing time and he is injured (in part due to him being out of shape)? 

So what about everyone else in between Horvat and Megna? Who gets a free pass to make the team regardless of what shape they are in, and who has to work their buts off during the off season?

regards,  G.

4 hours ago, iceman64 said:

I suspect that the team (the coaches and management) express their wishes and give advice regarding training/conditioning to all the players after each season. As a professional the player should take that advice and act accordingly. 

Would Scotty Bowman (and the trainers) have given a player a firm set of guidelines and expectations in April for an upcoming camp? Sure. (Remember when the hockey playoffs ended in April?)  Would Scotty have called those players up in July to check in on how they were doing as far as staying in shape? I don't think he did, yet WD is being knocked for supposedly not doing the same thing that Scotty didn't do...

regards,  G.

10 hours ago, Baggins said:

You're putting words in my mouth. I said Bowman didn't babysit players in the off-season. No coach does. It's up to the players to do what's asked. I don't need any proof it's done here we all know it is. All players have an exit interview at the end of the season here. This is when they are told what to work on and what is expected. It's up to the player to put in the work in the off-season. If a player can't motivate himself to put in the work you get Tryamkin this season - you don't play. It's no different to what Bowman did. Do you think he'll find his motivation next summer after sitting out?

Grabner had more than one golden opportunity to make this team and showed up in poor shape year after year. The spot went to Raymond two years in a row. Grabner squandered several opportunities including when traded to Florida and yet again showing up in poor shape. Nobody is going to babysit players in the off-season. Tryamkin isn't the first to show up to camp in poor shape and he won't be the last. Some just think they're good enough they don't have to put in the work. Not a good attitude for a young player.

What are you talking about, it was because AV hatez teh young playerz!!!!! That's why Grabner's spot went to Raymond, who is a much older guy...

regards,  G.

Archived