The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Article) Tryamkin was right

Davathor

19 hours ago, khay said:

Really happy with Tryamkin's progress. Size is definitely his asset but I like his intelligence on the ice a lot as well.

The thing that sticks out to me from this article is WD's ability to misjudge a player's potential. It seems like his initial reading on a player is pretty bad.

Bo Horvat on the 4th line to start the season and if the things hadn't played out the way it did, Tryamkin might be back in Russia by now. I get that his fitness level was not there but even later on, WD only played Tryamkin because he was forced with all the injuries to the D's just as he was forced to play Horvat more because everyone was sucking except Bo. And the team started playing better once Bo received more minutes and as Tryamkin started playing regularly.

I like Sutter but Sutter was deployed like Kesler or Kopitar on this team and Sedins at age 36 were getting over 21 minutes of ice at the beginning of the season. 

For the most part, the player deployment has corrected itself thanks to the players playing well and I guess I should give WD credit for eventually getting it right.

The only complaint that I have now is regarding Rodin. He earned his spot during the pre-season, he should be given an opportunity to show what he can do. Sure, maybe he needs more practice time with the team but maybe he should be given an opportunity to play with the Sedins since Megna is not producing much with the Sedins.

couldn't agree more I cant wait until hes on the power play

i have not read all of the posts

but i am surprised by this article ..

i never really doubted tryamkin's ability ... he played well at the end of last season when he was added to the roster

but should that and his present performance since he was added to the roster that actually sits on the bench and plays in games

excuse the fact that he showed up this year for training camp and preseason out of shape???

he needed 10 games of the regular season to get into condition

so he could play at an nhl level and the level he is presently performing at

how is that a fault of the gm, coach or team?

the guys is getting paid bigger dollars than well of 95% of the people frequent this forum

i am glad tryamkin is doing well and the team is playing well . and everything is rosy now

i trust tryamkin will show up in shape to training camp next season ??

would be professional of him to do so

edit.. upon reading the posts i see the cdc crowd has comprehensively dealt with the concerns i had . thank you

7 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

You're right it's done now and it nearly costed us a strong potential impact D. 

how did it nearly cost us anything?

he is canucks property

they never lost his rights

he was requested to go to utica. .he refused

that was the end of the matter.. he could not go anywhere else

you are creating more drama than there was

edit.. and i will never forget your failure to provide me those links to interviews you claimed had occurred where you say the sedins insisted they wanted to remain first line players.. i told you they did not exist. they do not.. you say they do.  you have not produced any .. . you are somewhat of a troll in my books as a result sir

2 minutes ago, Bovechkin said:

Man I'm pretty sure almost everyone forgot that Larsen is even on this team LOL

In fairness to him, he was a good insurance policy and lottery ticket.

With him, there was no reason to rush Stecher - who knew he'd be ready to skip the AHL - and really if anyone looks at this in context they'd realize that Larsen was acquired before we knew Stecher would sign here - before the Stecher signing.

Take into account that Tryamkin wasn't ready to play when he arrived - and the team lost a couple top pairing guys - adding Larsen made perfect sense at the time, and as much in hindsight, despite what we now know about Stecher.

19 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Love how lower picks who weren't necessarily expected to make it (e.g. him, Hutton, heck even Labate, Grenier) are getting chances to eventually make it to the big leagues. Everyone said he was a project but now he could have all the tools to become at least a top-4, if not top-pair (if he develops properly), and he's already learning to throw his weight around well

Bahaha, explosive hit and then the other guy #38 was stood up atempting to hit from behind.

21 hours ago, khay said:

Really happy with Tryamkin's progress. Size is definitely his asset but I like his intelligence on the ice a lot as well.

The thing that sticks out to me from this article is WD's ability to misjudge a player's potential. It seems like his initial reading on a player is pretty bad.

Bo Horvat on the 4th line to start the season and if the things hadn't played out the way it did, Tryamkin might be back in Russia by now. I get that his fitness level was not there but even later on, WD only played Tryamkin because he was forced with all the injuries to the D's just as he was forced to play Horvat more because everyone was sucking except Bo. And the team started playing better once Bo received more minutes and as Tryamkin started playing regularly.

I like Sutter but Sutter was deployed like Kesler or Kopitar on this team and Sedins at age 36 were getting over 21 minutes of ice at the beginning of the season. 

For the most part, the player deployment has corrected itself thanks to the players playing well and I guess I should give WD credit for eventually getting it right.

The only complaint that I have now is regarding Rodin. He earned his spot during the pre-season, he should be given an opportunity to show what he can do. Sure, maybe he needs more practice time with the team but maybe he should be given an opportunity to play with the Sedins since Megna is not producing much with the Sedins.

Let's turn this around.

How about.  I like the way Willie has made young players earn their ice time.  Even Bo Horvat hasn't been gifted anything.

Many young players seem to be developing well.

Don't start going all Linden Vey on me.  I think they all made assumptions with him and wanted him to be more than he was.  They saw their mistake and Vey was let go as better alternatives were brought into the system.

Rodin has earned nothing in games that matter.  They had better find out what they've got there because he's on a 1 year contract

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

how did it nearly cost us anything?

he is canucks property

they never lost his rights

he was requested to go to utica. .he refused

that was the end of the matter.. he could not go anywhere else

you are creating more drama than there was

IF he bolts back to Russia does it really matter if canucks hold his rights?  Real good it does

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

edit.. and i will never forget your failure to provide me those links to interviews you claimed had occurred where you say the sedins insisted they wanted to remain first line players.. i told you they did not exist. they do not.. you say they do.  you have not produced any .. . you are somewhat of a troll in my books as a result sir

Um what? I said what again?  Maybe you should lay off that BC weed.  

8 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

IF he bolts back to Russia does it really matter if canucks hold his rights?  Real good it does

Um what? I said what again?  Maybe you should lay off that BC weed.  

he is under contract to the canucks

he cannot "bolt back to russia"

his contract does contain an out clause. that clause could not have been activated given how the canucks handled the issue

so you maybe should lay off the weed

i do not use any myself

2 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

his contract does contain an out clause. that clause could not have been activated given how the canucks handled the issue

i do not use any myself

He can bolt back to Russian any time he wants to, if he didn't feel he's playing here he could just move back home, his own words have admitted this. 

If canucks weren't playing him and he wants out, there would be no reason they wouldn't just terminate his contract, "send him to the AHL" or even loan him out to the KHL for the remainder of the year.  Nothing is stopping him from bolting back to Russia

There was a chance this Tryamkin-in-Vancouver thing could have flipped off the rails. Asked Thursday, through a translator, if he’d want to return to Russia if he still wasn’t in the lineup, Tryamkin said: “If it was that case, I would have to make a decision. But the situation changed. I’m playing now. So I don’t have to make that decision.”

If that hadn’t happened, there’d be no room for Tryamkin to play regularly and he’d likely be in discussions with his wife about whether he should move back to Russia.

11 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

i do not use any myself

Actually, I believe the KHL still doesn't honour NHL contracts (unlike some other European leagues)... so they would happily sign him and he would just be suspended from the Canucks.  Most leagues have a reciprocal agreement where you can't just bounce around leaving teams in the lurch.

Regardless of all that... I don't think he was mismanaged.  They did what they had to in order to bring him here.  They did what they believed was right in making sure he was conditioned for the NHL, it isn't like there is a well-worn roadmap for the proper body composition for 6"7" defencemen... there just aren't enough around.  He certainly was gassed a lot last season, and that problem seems to have largely been resolved.

On his end, he didn't want to get buried in the minors when he had better options and believed he could play at this level.  He "probably" should have been open to a two week conditioning stint which may have actually gotten him into NHL games faster.... but the way it has turned up roses, you can't really fault anyone.

We now have a legit NHL defenceman on our hands, which we didn't at the start of the season.  Whether he becomes a top 4 guy or a 3rd pairing one who knows, but I don't think there is a lot of doubt he belongs in the league... and it we didn't have room for him, I suspect there is a pretty long line up at the door of willing trade partners.

I will be interested to see if he can add a more physical and intimidating element to his game, and thereby reducing the holding penalties he is currently prone to.  It is not like he doesn't have the wheels and is out of position... it is just he seems used to the KHL way of doing things and gets caught reaching.  If he takes the body in those instances instead, it would be a big step.

2 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Let's turn this around.

How about.  I like the way Willie has made young players earn their ice time.  Even Bo Horvat hasn't been gifted anything.

Many young players seem to be developing well.

Don't start going all Linden Vey on me.  I think they all made assumptions with him and wanted him to be more than he was.  They saw their mistake and Vey was let go as better alternatives were brought into the system.

Rodin has earned nothing in games that matter.  They had better find out what they've got there because he's on a 1 year contract

Sure. It all worked out in the end. 

Rodin needs to play more to prove himself. If he doesn't play, he can't prove anything. 

I'm actually starting to think that there is a possibility that Rodin's knee is still not 100% yet. Otherwise, it doesn't make sense to not play him especially because he's on a 1 year contract and they need to assess him.

Archived