The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

8 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

why does a player need to be on the same line to provide protection? 

How often are 4th line meat heads on against the other teams stars? When they are, how often do they get burned on the scoreboard? 

We need a guy who can actually play top 6 and protect EP. E Kane comes to mind...

Him with guys like Virtanen, Gudbranson, Archibald etc throughout your lineup is how you make your TEAM tough to play against and keep the opposition from taking liberties. One 4th line plug doesn't work anymore. 

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Ross Johnston from the Islanders is the guy we need. He's young, mean, big, and doesn't loose fights. Also his pro points stats are trending up. I would try and trade some pieces we don't need for him or include Tanev in a bigger deal. Without  a guy like him we can't hold other heavyweights accountable. Reaves would also work 

Yes I agree we really need a guy that is physical and can play a regular shift...This should be high on Jim Bennings list with all the young prospects next year,

Boeser, Gaudette, Pettersson, we need someone that can protect but good enough to play 10-12 mins...

Ross Johnston would be fantastic, might cost a very good prospect...Think Ross is under 25...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

How often are 4th line meat heads on against the other teams stars? When they are, how often do they get burned on the scoreboard? 

We need a guy who can actually play top 6 and protect EP. E Kane comes to mind...

Him with guys like Virtanen, Gudbranson, Archibald etc throughout your lineup is how you make your TEAM tough to play against and keep the opposition from taking liberties. One 4th line plug doesn't work anymore. 

see: Matt Martin

10 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

He doesn’t, he needs to be on the ice at the same time as the other team’s best player.  You do not protect your best player by fighting  his attacker, you fight it by attacking the other team’s best player - mutually assured destruction, the principle of deterrence.

yup. In the clutch and grab days maybe you needed someone on the same line but not now. 

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

not often but when you play against putz' like Kadri we need a couple of guys able - and wiling - to take out Marner et al in retaliation. 

I think we could use both tbh for a year or two while guys like EP learn the NHL. 

My free agency wish list to replace the Sedins would be: Kane, Beagle and Reaves. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

My free agency wish list to replace the Sedins would be: Kane, Beagle and Reaves. 

Jimmy, c[mon, that is your second wish list of three players...ideally what you want is:

Hanson-Brothers.jpg

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Jimmy, c[mon, that is your second wish list of three players...ideally what you want is:

Hanson-Brothers.jpg

are they free agents next year?

but in all seriousness, is Guddy enough protection for EP? If Kardri throws and elbow into his head and the rest of our guys stand around with their thumbs up their butts it would be infuriating. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

not often but when you play against putz' like Kadri we need a couple of guys able - and wiling - to take out Marner et al in retaliation. 

I think we could use both tbh for a year or two while guys like EP learn the NHL. 

I'd rather fight fire (Kadri) with fire (our own 'Kadri'). Under 10 minute a night enforcers are increasingly rare and disappearing for a reason.

Far rather have size/grit/toughness throughout the lineup and we're headed that way IMO.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

I'd rather fight fire (Kadri) with fire (our own 'Kadri'). Under 10 minute a night enforcers are increasingly rare and disappearing for a reason.

Far rather have size/grit/toughness throughout the lineup and we're headed that way IMO.

who cares? I only want the guy for a year or two until EP gets established. 

I agree we do need toughness throughout the lineup.... whens the last time we had that? 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

are they free agents next year?

but in all seriousness, is Guddy enough protection for EP? If Kardri throws and elbow into his head and the rest of our guys stand around with their thumbs up their butts it would be infuriating. 

Guddy, Virtanen and something like Archie (if not Archie) is a decent start.   Someone with the edge of Kadri would be nice.   Kane no longer seems to play that way.   Reaves is great but will be quite expensive (though Canucks have nearly $30 million in space....not the $14 million people keep talking about).   Reaves can actually play too.   

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

who cares? I only want the guy for a year or two until EP gets established. 

I agree we do need toughness throughout the lineup.... whens the last time we had that? 

I care :lol: One guy eating up a roster spot from a better player while the entire league moves away from this for a reason, isn't the solution. I'd FAR rather have Archibald in that spot who can actually play hockey, skate, hit, PK etc.

By all means I'm 100% for adding a guy like Kane to our top 6 as part of the solution and bringing in guys like Gadj, and 'pests' like Gaudette, Lind etc over the next couple years but a 8-10 minute plug enforcer is not the answer.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I care :lol: One guy eating up a roster spot from a better player while the entire league moves away from this for a reason, isn't the solution. I'd FAR rather have Archibald in that spot who can actually play hockey, skate, hit, PK etc.

By all means I'm 100% for adding a guy like Kane to our top 6 as part of the solution and bringing in guys like Gadj, and 'pests' like Gaudette, Lind etc over the next couple years but a 8-10 minute plug enforcer is not the answer.

I dunno, I think Reaves brings more than plug status. Ideally if we could add someone like Wilson that would be great but I don't see WSH doing that. 

12 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Vitanen will destroy him when the time is right.

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I dunno, I think Reaves brings more than plug status. Ideally if we could add someone like Wilson that would be great but I don't see WSH doing that. 

Reaves is a 'decent' player for what he is but his career 7:56 ATOI is there for a reason. If he was a better hockey player, he'd play more.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Reaves is a 'decent' player for what he is but his career 7:56 ATOI is there for a reason. If he was a better hockey player, he'd play more.

I'd rather have the conversation "look what Reaves did" than "Jake shoulda done something there" - we've had far too many nights where people wondered why our guys didn't push back harder, its an actual skill to have the stones to make that kind of move. So what if its 7:56? how is that possibly relevant to the job? and fyi he's been closer to 10 mins with Vegas. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'd rather have the conversation "look what Reaves did" than "Jake shoulda done something there" - we've had far too many nights where people wondered why our guys didn't push back harder, its an actual skill to have the stones to make that kind of move. So what if its 7:56? how is that possibly relevant to the job? and fyi he's been closer to 10 mins with Vegas. 

This isn't about 21 year old Virtanen. Certainly not him alone anyway.

The 'job' is playing hockey. Seems pretty $#@%'ing relevant :lol:

Just now, aGENT said:

This isn't about 21 year old Virtanen. Certainly not him alone anyway.

The 'job' is playing hockey. Seems pretty $#@%'ing relevant :lol:

his specific job smart guy of being a 4th line enforcer - ATOI for 4th line guys is generally going to be low, so what?