The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017-18 Utica Comets Thread

Tuning into today's Comets game vs Syracuse, about to get underway at 4:00 - Demko gets the start in goal across from Ingram. Cederholm has been sent back to the K-Wings. Comets are sporting their Save of the Day jerseys again for this one:

Boucher-Darcy-Goldobin
Archibald-Cassels-Carcone
Dziurzynski-Hamilton-MacEwen
Comrie-Cameranesi-Cherniwchan

Wiercioch-Chatfield

Brisebois-Holm

Blujus-Sautner

End of the first period, Comets are up 1-0 off of Boucher's goal, shots are 11-7 for Syracuse. The Crunch had the run of play for most of the period as the Comets came scrambling out of the gate defensively, but Demko's made a number of solid saves so far - just a short while before the goal he made a sharp glove save off Yan coming down the wing at a good angle. The Comets had one powerplay which didn't amount to much; they had a couple shots but they were both one-and-done opportunities with no chance to get set up in the zone. Goldobin and Boucher are still the class of the Comets forwards and combined for the opening goal off of a great feed from Demko who caught the Crunch sleeping.

End of the second period, the Comets are up 4-1 after a dominant second period - shots are even at 22 apiece with the Comets having a 15-11 edge in the second frame. The Boucher-Darcy-Goldobin line is just torching the Crunch in this game... almost every shift of theirs has been in the Syracuse zone, and it takes the smallest window of opportunity for them to pounce and create a chance. Could've easily had two more goals as Darcy and Boucher both got in alone for a pair of chances in tight but couldn't convert. Comets have also been playing smart defense for the most part, with Holm definitely being one of the standouts. Sautner also looks like a much more confident player than the last time I saw him, he's been good positionally and is using his stick/body well.

Comets win, 4-2 the final! The third period was all Syracuse's as they completely dominated the Comets on the shot clock 20-2  (42-24 total) but Demko stood tall and made a number of impressive saves to preserve the victory. Things were definitely chippy throughout and boiled over towards the end with Archibald absolutely decking Mathieu Joseph with a flurry of lefts, followed by another scrum off the next faceoff.

The game was essentially won in the second period when the Goldobin-Darcy-Boucher trio took over and buried the Crunch with a series of goals, eight points total between them. (Boucher's now tied for the AHL lead in goals with 20 after two today). Boucher and Goldobin just look ridiculously good at this level, they generate chances like its nothing. The third period was a mess on the Comets end but I thought all three defense pairs worked well together through the first two periods - Wiercioch/Chatfield, Holm/Brisebois and Sautner/Blujus. Sautner especially caught my eye as someone who's made strides; Holm is the best of the bunch and deserves a look in Vancouver at some point. Chatfield and Brisebois both look more confident with the puck than they did in the earlier games I saw, Brisebois is not afraid to go to the tougher areas when needed and sacrifice his body to block shots. The Archibald-Cassels-Carcone line didn't stand out offensively but you can tell they're an irritating trio to play against, all three can throw the body around and forecheck hard. Cassels has never been a flashy guy but he's making better decisions with the puck and his reaction time looked better.

Three stars: Darcy, Boucher, Demko. Really tough call but I would've had to go with Demko as #1... he was outstanding in the third and even created the first Utica goal with a great stretch pass. The Comets play next on Wednesday, at home to Hartford.

1st      
16:58 UTI Reid Boucher (19) ASST: Nikolay Goldobin (16), Thatcher Demko (1)

2nd      
2:50 UTI Darren Archibald (6) ASST: Cam Darcy (12), Nikolay Goldobin (17) (PP)

5:42 SYR Jonne Tammela (2) ASST: Michael Bournival (14), Jamie McBain (15) (PP)

15:07 UTI Reid Boucher (20) ASST: Cam Darcy (13), Philip Holm (13)

17:32 UTI Cam Darcy (2) ASST: Ashton Sautner (8), Nikolay Goldobin (18)

3rd      
0:29 SYR Michael Bournival (13) ASST: Anthony Cirelli (19), Alex Gallant (2)

Goldobin and Boucher played together in Junior, there is clearly a lot of chemistry there. If we make some trades and the deadline I’s Love to see these guys come up and play together maybe with Sutter in the middle to see how they can perform together at the NHL level

Interestingly, Galychenyuk was their Center! 

6 hours ago, BoeserSnipe said:

Goldobin and Boucher played together in Junior, there is clearly a lot of chemistry there. If we make some trades and the deadline I’s Love to see these guys come up and play together maybe with Sutter in the middle to see how they can perform together at the NHL level

Interestingly, Galychenyuk was their Center! 

It is great to see Goldy playing well after another demotion. I really think he has the skill to succeed in the NHL. As a team who is near the basement I do believe we should be willing to let him play thru is issues and still give him some decent ice and not sit him on the bench. I know role players like Dowd and Gaunce are better defensively, but last time I checked they dont score much and you need to score to win....Plus skilled players are more fun to watch, dont they want fans to show up to games?

As for Galchenyuk, I dont think we will try to acquire him, but I honestly would want us to try! I think he can be a solid player, problem is MTL needs C help. Hopefully they do move Patches and get a C in return. I dont know what a deal would look like from us to get Gally but I think he would be a great fit on our team. He is a 50-60pt guy in the NHL imo.

36 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

How many Benning/Linden draft picks area on this development team?

I don't think it really matters if they're draft picks or not. Guys like Carl Niell and McKenzie Stewart didn't work out and were never signed despite being draft picks. A lot of our (notable) draftees are playing in European leagues (Dahlen, Pettersson, Juolevi, Jasek, Zhukenov, Tryamkin, Palmu, Abols, Gunnarsson). As a result, we've only got a couple of actual drafted prospects in Utica at the moment. Brisebois, McEneny, Cederholm (sent down to the ECHL), Cassels, Labate and Demko. 

Equally important are the free agents and players that Benning has managed to sign/trade for, as there are a couple that are showing to have decent potential. Guys like Sautner, Holm, Chatfield, Boucher, Goldobin, MacEwen, Carcone, D'Aoust and Molino. Most of these guys were undrafted free agents. 

1 hour ago, Brobidus said:

I don't think it really matters if they're draft picks or not. Guys like Carl Niell and McKenzie Stewart didn't work out and were never signed despite being draft picks. A lot of our (notable) draftees are playing in European leagues (Dahlen, Pettersson, Juolevi, Jasek, Zhukenov, Tryamkin, Palmu, Abols, Gunnarsson). As a result, we've only got a couple of actual drafted prospects in Utica at the moment. Brisebois, McEneny, Cederholm (sent down to the ECHL), Cassels, Labate and Demko. 

Equally important are the free agents and players that Benning has managed to sign/trade for, as there are a couple that are showing to have decent potential. Guys like Sautner, Holm, Chatfield, Boucher, Goldobin, MacEwen, Carcone, D'Aoust and Molino. Most of these guys were undrafted free agents. 

So most of them are NOT being developed by Linden/Benning management and will have to spend a year or more being developed by the Canucks? Almost none of the drafting guru's superior draft picks? They can't even make the AHL? What good are all these players if they are still 2 or 3 years out? What a failure of management, just more old vets signed to fill the roster getting retirement contracts. Draft in 2018 for the 2022 team? So far 2014 for the 2018 team one player maybe, 2015 for 2017 one player, 2016 - none, 2020?, 2017 - none - 2021? Maybe TWO more drafted players?:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Archived