The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017-18 Utica Comets Thread

On 1/22/2018 at 1:21 PM, TheGuardian_ said:

So most of them are NOT being developed by Linden/Benning management and will have to spend a year or more being developed by the Canucks? Almost none of the drafting guru's superior draft picks? They can't even make the AHL? What good are all these players if they are still 2 or 3 years out? What a failure of management, just more old vets signed to fill the roster getting retirement contracts. Draft in 2018 for the 2022 team? So far 2014 for the 2018 team one player maybe, 2015 for 2017 one player, 2016 - none, 2020?, 2017 - none - 2021? Maybe TWO more drafted players?:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

This is not NHL 18. Players need time to develop. You don't just get Crosbys in every round.

Where is the minus button when you need it for a dumb post like this one?

19 minutes ago, Wise Owl said:

Sorry but Goldy does not deserve the spot over Jake.

Based on what? They're at the same point of waiver eligibility based on their contract, but if Jake isn't playing a North-South game and running people over, he isn't playing his game. Goldobin will produce points. For all his warts, he is a playmaker and he could produce if given the right opportunity and if he can accept the defensive side of the game. Jake needs the repetitions that Goldy has...

Comets with the 3-2 OT win today over the Phantoms.  Demko stopped 25 of 27 shots faced

Scoring
1st      
14:14 LV Mike Vecchione (11) ASST: Radel Fazleev (9), Will O'Neill (7)

2nd      
3:00 UTI Wacey Hamilton (1) ASST: Alexis D'Aoust (7)

16:36 LV Oskar Lindblom (13) ASST: Radel Fazleev (10), Travis Sanheim (1) (SH)

3rd      
19:02 UTI Philip Holm (9) ASST: Michael Chaput (10), Reid Boucher (18)

OT      
1:11 UTI Wacey Hamilton (2) ASST: Patrick Wiercioch (12), Darren Archibald (7)

2 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

Team is getting healthy again so Cull is rotating scratches.  Chatfield on Friday and Brisebois yesterday.

Cull appears to really like Blujus and I'm not sure if Sautner has ever been scratched. Early in the season, one of our Utica posters was unimpressed with Sautner, but Cull seems to really have faith in him.

Of interest from the injury period a short while back, is that Cole Cassels seemed ( I'm looking at stats sheets for my info ) to get many more offensive opportunities. Played on the PP a fair amount. Often when not on the scoresheet, his name would appear in the 'on ice' stat. Last night, with a healthy line up, CC was on the ice in the last minute when Utica tied the game. It's good to see him being moved from his pure defence role.

8 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

Cull appears to really like Blujus and I'm not sure if Sautner has ever been scratched. Early in the season, one of our Utica posters was unimpressed with Sautner, but Cull seems to really have faith in him.

Of interest from the injury period a short while back, is that Cole Cassels seemed ( I'm looking at stats sheets for my info ) to get many more offensive opportunities. Played on the PP a fair amount. Often when not on the scoresheet, his name would appear in the 'on ice' stat. Last night, with a healthy line up, CC was on the ice in the last minute when Utica tied the game. It's good to see him being moved from his pure defence role.

I was pretty critical of Sautner his first two seasons in Utica but he looks like a completely different player this season.  Much more physical and confident in his play.  Suatner used to constantly panic with the puck and throw it into bad areas whenever he felt pressure.  That is now a thing of the past and has become one of the top players on the team in winning puck battles.  The pairing of Sautner and Blujus has been the Comets best and Sautner leads the team in +- at a +16 with Blujus second at +14 despite only playing 20 games.

The Comets just got over a 6 game in 9 nights streak and Sifers returned from injury on Friday which allowed Cull to give Chatfield and then Brisebois a needed night off.  Chatfield had a rough night on Wednesday with a -3 and looked tired.

As for Cassels he was given more offensive responsibility during the stretch on injuries and responded well.  He won't dazzle you with skill and doesn't have the greatest hands in the league but he does go hard to the net and has picked up his share of goals and assists in the dirty areas.  

14 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

All of the pluses. I don't pollute the JV thread anymore than it already is, but I've said it a few times this year. Send the kid down. He's waiver eligible next year and they're wasting a year of his development by not letting Cull get his hands on him. He has Goldobin and Boucher on the PK to learn positioning and get their feet moving. It's exactly what JV needs. Minutes, reps and situational play. He's not going to get better playing 10 minutes a night on the 4th line. I don't put that on Green either. He's not making roster decisions.

Jim Benning, send JV down. He's supposed to be providing a physical element to the team and he isn't doing that most nights, so what's the point of having him in the NHL? Goldy or Boucher deserve his spot, or sign Archie and/or call up Mckewen. This team needs someone who will pop someone in the mouth when they get out of line. 

I think that the line up and decisions made are done by the coach. I think in the past we have heard management say they dont tell the coach who plays etc. Back in the WD era, hence why we saw all the Chaput and Megna love last year.

So personally I do put how JV is being handled on coach Green. If he feels he is not ready, call him into the office, tell him your honest opinion and say that you feel the best for your development is to go to Utica, get more ice time and opportunity and to seize the moment.

We seem to have no issue doing that with Goldy so why not send Jake down also. If we send him down now, he could always return at the end of the year.....or we try to insulate Utica with our younger players and see if they can make and have a run in the playoffs. That would be better for their development than 10 min a night with healthy scratches looming if you make mistakes.

45 minutes ago, Yotes said:

I think that the line up and decisions made are done by the coach. I think in the past we have heard management say they dont tell the coach who plays etc. Back in the WD era, hence why we saw all the Chaput and Megna love last year.

So personally I do put how JV is being handled on coach Green. If he feels he is not ready, call him into the office, tell him your honest opinion and say that you feel the best for your development is to go to Utica, get more ice time and opportunity and to seize the moment.

We seem to have no issue doing that with Goldy so why not send Jake down also. If we send him down now, he could always return at the end of the year.....or we try to insulate Utica with our younger players and see if they can make and have a run in the playoffs. That would be better for their development than 10 min a night with healthy scratches looming if you make mistakes.

Since Jake has not been sent down I have to assume that Green thinks he has more to gain by being in Vancouver. What does Jake gain by being in Utica rather than Van? I guess more TOI and possibly a higher offensive role. Weighing the relative value is up to the coach. I do not think Jake is being thrown out on the ice in a 'sink or swim' scenario. I think his play is reviewed and discussed with coaching. Same as Gaunce.

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Since Jake has not been sent down I have to assume that Green thinks he has more to gain by being in Vancouver. What does Jake gain by being in Utica rather than Van? I guess more TOI and possibly a higher offensive role. Weighing the relative value is up to the coach. I do not think Jake is being thrown out on the ice in a 'sink or swim' scenario. I think his play is reviewed and discussed with coaching. Same as Gaunce.

Green was his coach in Utica last year. Giving a different coach a fresh set of eyes and direction down in Utica might benefit him. I am sure whatever Green is saying to Jake now is very similar to last year. Yes ice time and opportunity would be higher in Utica, doesnt mean he will succeed but he will be away from more distractions or media stress than if he was here. I think Jake has a fragile demeanor and being benched or scratched on top of knowing he is the local kid who got picked high must weigh on him every game and when he makes a mistake he knows he is screwed.

FYI, Utica is hosting the AHL All Star game with the skills competition at 8:00 Eastern tonight and the game at 7:00 Eastern tomorrow.  It will be broadcast live on NHL Network in the USA and SportsNet in Canada plus free on AHL Live.  Thatcher Demko and Reid Boucher will be the Comets players participating.

16 hours ago, Dazzle said:

This is not NHL 18. Players need time to develop. You don't just get Crosbys in every round.

Where is the minus button when you need it for a dumb post like this one?

Well you could look at the drafted players year by year to see that the Nucks are the worst at having any play on the team in the NHL. Those that have players playing that are not "Crosbys" still have players playing.

You could also look and see that there are just about no impact players, other than dmen, that spend 2+ years in the minors in the entire NHL.

But even if they have to spend ONE year on the Canuck's DEVELOPMENT TEAM, UTICA, that still puts them another 2 years out.

What have they been drafting for? Boeser looks good, Pettersson looks like a very good prospect, but the team will still need a 1rst or 2nd line center, at least 2/3 top six and now replacements for Tanev and Edler. OJ is playing in basically a senior men's league, lots of 17 year olds and players over 35 and 40 yrs old, he should be close to the best there if not the best so he might not be a #1 or #2 NHL dman, Tryamkin has played in the NHL and shown he could do the job as a top 2 dman so far, one year is a small sample size but he is a top dman in the KHL, about AHL or slightly above calibre, so he might be one.

Still most talk is revolving around starting a rebuild around Horvat and Boeser, 2 of 6 top line NHL calibre players needed.

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Great reception by the Comets fans for former Comet Alexander Grenier at the All-Star game.

Biggest cheer by far went to Thatcher Demko though.

When Bobby Lou was here, we chanted Louuuuuuu for his great play.  What will we chant for Demko?  

Archived