The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017-18 Utica Comets Thread

27 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Who is Blujus? Where did he come from? Used to be TBay property? 

You bet, he came from Tampa system. He signed a pto when all or injuries happened. His stats with his 2 seasons with Tampa aren’t great. But Cull obviously knew enough to bring him in. He’s one of the main reasons the Comets have been able to turn their season around. The emergence of Cassels and Carcone help but he has really stabilized their back end. 

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=88064

21 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Who is Blujus? Where did he come from? Used to be TBay property? 

Former 2nd round draft choice of the TB Lightning that Cull coached in Syracuse but was not qualified after his ELC ran out last season.  Started the year on an ECHL contract and was offered a PTO by the Comets and played so well that they locked him up for the year on a full AHL contract.

Adam Comrie is another TB prospect that was coached by Cull in Syracuse that is on a Comets PTO and should be considered for an AHL contract.  Tampa Bay is so good at player development and talent evaluation that I'm surprised that they let these two late bloomers slip through.

18 hours ago, Yotes said:

+9 in 15gp with Utica, that is pretty impressive

You bet! Maybe he’s finally gonna live up to his 2nd round pick status. He was well regarded in his draft year. I really thought he was going to be good, but seemed to get lost in the Tampa system. He started this season in the ECHL so a bit of a low point for him. But dang has he rebounded! I think we have Cull to thank for unearthing him from the bowels of the ECHL lol.

4 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

Former 2nd round draft choice of the TB Lightning that Cull coached in Syracuse but was not qualified after his ELC ran out last season.  Started the year on an ECHL contract and was offered a PTO by the Comets and played so well that they locked him up for the year on a full AHL contract.

Adam Comrie is another TB prospect that was coached by Cull in Syracuse that is on a Comets PTO and should be considered for an AHL contract.  Tampa Bay is so good at player development and talent evaluation that I'm surprised that they let these two late bloomers slip through.

Comrie is another great story! Too bad he wasn’t a bit younger! But all in all it’s been impressive to watch the guys on pto’s make a big difference on the team. A lot of grit and heart. It’s been fun to watch.

3 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Comrie is another great story! Too bad he wasn’t a bit younger! But all in all it’s been impressive to watch the guys on pto’s make a big difference on the team. A lot of grit and heart. It’s been fun to watch.

Almost as if they had camp in December. Comets seem to make these turnarounds their thing.

Its amazing it seems how good Tampa is at finding good players, so much that they move on from guys because they have since drafted replacements. I know the Canucks let Carl Neil go in the summer as well as a couple others in the last year or so.

What amazes me is that the TB Assistant GM Julien Brisebois probably does a lot of that work behind the scenes that Yzerman mostly gets credit for. If, and I mean if Benning is moved into a different role or not retained at all I would hope we look at bringing in Julien Brisebois/Tom Curvers/Pat Verbeek

1 hour ago, Yotes said:

Its amazing it seems how good Tampa is at finding good players, so much that they move on from guys because they have since drafted replacements. I know the Canucks let Carl Neil go in the summer as well as a couple others in the last year or so.

What amazes me is that the TB Assistant GM Julien Brisebois probably does a lot of that work behind the scenes that Yzerman mostly gets credit for. If, and I mean if Benning is moved into a different role or not retained at all I would hope we look at bringing in Julien Brisebois/Tom Curvers/Pat Verbeek

You are making too much sense! They are unearthing some amazing hidden talent over there. If we can steal some of the brain trust from that group i’m on board.

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Almost as if they had camp in December. Comets seem to make these turnarounds their thing.

2 seasons in a row of major injuries sure has exposed us in our farm depth, so desperate times call for desperate measures. I agree with your point, they do seem to have a knack at brining these guys in, but they sign these guys in bunches. Hand out a bunch of pto’s and see who sticks. I’m not saying that is their method as i’m sure they go into further detail than that...but that’s what it looks like from the outside at least lol. But hey, it’s workin! 

5 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

2 seasons in a row of major injuries sure has exposed us in our farm depth, so desperate times call for desperate measures. I agree with your point, they do seem to have a knack at brining these guys in, but they sign these guys in bunches. Hand out a bunch of pto’s and see who sticks. I’m not saying that is their method as i’m sure they go into further detail than that...but that’s what it looks like from the outside at least lol. But hey, it’s workin! 

A twisted, torturous franchise-method to go with 55~57 bodies instead of a mere 50?! As you say, whatever works indeed...

Archived