The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canadian Bill C-23

SabreFan1

I posted this on my profile update but it got pushed off the page in less than 3 hours.  I think this is an important topic for you poutine loving pacifists...

All Canadians should be against this bill.  Giving US border officers actual power on Canadian soil could be the beginning of a slippery slope.  It has already passed through the House of Commons.  It has yet to get by Canada's Senate as far as I can tell.  For crying out loud Canada, protect your sovereignty.  Let the Dept. of Homeland Security get a foot in the door, and it'll eventually start pushing to get the rest of itself in.

The U.S. passed a similar bill, but that was just symbolic because there are no Canadian pre-clearance areas in US airports.  It's like Congress passing a bill saying that Canada can have all of the U.S.'s magical unicorns.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/pre-clearance-border-canada-us-1.3976123

14 minutes ago, LordCanuck said:

maybe if we let in Homeland security theyll get rid of the border? otherwise they can go to hell.

There's only one way to erase a border between countries.  I'm willing to bet you wouldn't like that way.  :P

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

I posted this on my profile update but it got pushed off the page in less than 3 hours.  I think this is an important topic for you poutine loving pacifists...

All Canadians should be against this bill.  Giving US border officers actual power on Canadian soil could be the beginning of a slippery slope.  It has already passed through the House of Commons.  It has yet to get by Canada's Senate as far as I can tell.  For crying out loud Canada, protect your sovereignty.  Let the Dept. of Homeland Security get a foot in the door, and it'll eventually start pushing to get the rest of itself in.

The U.S. passed a similar bill, but that was just symbolic because there are no Canadian pre-clearance areas in US airports.  It's like Congress passing a bill saying that Canada can have all of the U.S.'s magical unicorns.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/pre-clearance-border-canada-us-1.3976123

right now you can sign up for US-based trusted traveller programs like NEXUS and the APEC business card. I have both (APEC is sweet, you get to bypass to a very fast customs line with almost no questions) so I'm not too worried about this. Your country has my fingerprints and retina scan already. 

But I can see why a lot of people may not like the idea very much either. My guess is it passes without much fuss. 

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

right now you can sign up for US-based trusted traveller programs like NEXUS and the APEC business card. I have both (APEC is sweet, you get to bypass to a very fast customs line with almost no questions) so I'm not too worried about this. Your country has my fingerprints and retina scan already. 

But I can see why a lot of people may not like the idea very much either. My guess is it passes without much fuss.

It's not only this specific instance that's a concern.  When you start trading away your citizens' rights to a foreign country on your own soil, you're opening the door for it to become the norm.  Today it's on the border, next time it could extend to certain police (FBI) actions involving citizens who have returned from visiting the US.

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

More like if he was a pumpkin. Nah, I'd rather have him suffer with an audit.

If you mean an IRS audit, he's been under an audit since before he was elected president.  He used it as an excuse to not publicly release his finances during the campaign.

13 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

It's not only this specific instance that's a concern.  When you start trading away your citizens' rights to a foreign country on your own soil, you're opening the door for it to become the norm.  Today it's on the border, next time it could extend to certain police (FBI) actions involving citizens who have returned from visiting the US.

Ya I remember when this was being discussed. Trudeau is such a clown he does and says whatever the U.S tells him. Hell in the 2015 election his website(liberals) had a big piece on strengthening relations with the U.S. He made so many pro U.S comments on that site who knew he meant handing Canadian sovereignty over to the U.S.

His dad would be disgusted with this.

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

Ya I remember when this was being discussed. Trudeau is such a clown he does and says whatever the U.S tells him. Hell in the 2015 election his website(liberals) had a big piece on strengthening relations with the U.S. He made so many pro U.S comments on that site who knew he meant handing Canadian sovereignty over to the U.S.

You know Trump was elected in 2016 right? 

24 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Well of course it will so many of you are to busy following Trumps every move.

Archived