The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) VAN - DAL

Noble 6

The Stars have been heating up lately. They are 7-3-0 in their last 10. However, Methot is injured and has been placed on LTIR. That is a big blow to a defense core and organization that already struggles defensively. His projected return is around Christmas, but he will likely need some time to get up to game speed coming off of knee surgery. They are in a tight race in the Central and could use all the help the can get. Given their aggressive moves last offseason (Radulov, Bishop and Methot), they want to be competitive and make some noise this year. Upgrading their defense will go a long way with that. 

The Canucks are at a similar point in their season, but a different place organizationally. With Horvat now missing a solid chunk of the season, our chances of maintaining a Playoff position take a major hit. At this very moment we are still in the thick of things, but it could start to slowly come undone by early January. With management committing to a youth movement as well as our crowded blueline, it might be a good time to look at moving Edler. 

To DAL:

Edler

Vanek

6th Round Pick 2019

To VAN:

Spezza

1st Round Pick 2018 (Top-10 Protected)

Hintz

3rd Round Pick 2019

*This trade could be made either this week-ish or at the deadline. We might be able to catch Dallas in a tough position if we make the deal right now, but we also might not want to trade Edler at this very moment. Also, if we add Spezza now, he could play center while Horvat is out.  Just something to consider.

Reasons for Dallas:

Dallas adds a solid top-4, left-handed defenseman to their group. Edler would help stabilize their defense core as well as develop some younger defenseman like he's done here. He could play on a pairing with Honka while Klingberg remains on the top pairing with Methot when he gets back. In addition, they move Spezza and his massive contract. They gain cap flexibility to re-sign a solid chunk of their team that is on expiring contracts. Vanek has been scoring at a higher rate than Spezza and would take his place in the lineup. The biggest part of this deal for Dallas is rounding out their defense core and making their team better for a run in the Playoffs this year. 

Benn - Seguin - Radulov

Janmark - Hanzal - Vanek

Ellie - Faksa - Pitlick

Roussel - Shore - Ritchie

Methot - Klingberg

Edler - Honka

Oleksiak - Lindell 

Johns

Bishop

Lehtonen

Reasons for Vancouver:

The Canucks get another solid injection of young pieces that can contribute to our organization in the future. The 1st rounder this year could land us a very good player even if it's later in the round. It would give us more flexibility on draft day and allow us to potentially move up or down given Benning's preferences. Hintz is a big LW/C who could be a good piece for us moving forward. I know our wings are crowded for the future, but Hintz brings the element of size (6'3, 205lbs) combined with speed and a very high hockey IQ. It also gives us some more insurance in the likely scenario that one or more of our current winger prospects doesn't work out. He made a very good impression in Dallas in training camp and throughout the preseason. I'll leave his stats and scouting report below. The Canucks also absorb Spezza and his contract, which isn't ideal. However, given that we have a decent amount of cap space opening up this summer as well as the cap increase, we can make it work. The 3rd for next year is added value. 

Goldobin - Horvat - Boeser

Baertschi - Spezza - Eriksson

Sedin - Sedin - Virtanen

Granlund - Sutter - Gagner

Hutton - Tanev

Del Zotto - Stetcher

Pouliot - Gudbranson

Beiga

*Hintz's Scouting Report and Stats:

https://www.defendingbigd.com/2017/9/26/16363438/dallas-stars-prospects-roope-hintz-future-centers-calder-trophy-dark-horse-candidates

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=92117

He was picked in the 2nd round (49th overall) in 2015. 

Roope Hintz has a cool name, but I know nothing else about him. I don't think Edler is a top pairing D whatsoever and he is made of glass, but I was wrong about Hansen and Burrows last year, so whatever. I don't see Vancouver doing a trade with so many parts going each way — especially with a team like Dallas who is just as fledgling as Vancouver. I don't think they have anything to gain from acquiring Edler and Vanek other than scorn from their fanbase. 

I wondering if they would have interest in a deal with us for Vanek

Could we do a swap of pending UFA's?

Vanek- adds depth scoring for Dallas

maybe we add a later pick if Roussel is re signed during the season

for

Roussel- we need some grit to fill dorsett void, re sign the guy before can hit FA

Archived