The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dance

Drewismyname

So,

i recently discovered old Michael Jackson and Sammy Davis videos and instantly became interested in dancing. I don't want this to turn into a Michael Jackson dirty laundry thread so lets just focus on the talent and art of dance.

I was on the bus tonight and had a ten out of ten blond bombshell spot me kinda moving to my music and joined in and pretty much nailed it. It was like a two person flash dance until a bunch of bystandards blocked the aisle and I couldn't see her anymore.

Just wondering what type of classes youve taken or experience any of you have in the industry. 

I know its not really a macho topic for a hockey forum but holy ---- man I am an average guy and a model was into me so i think its a good thing to learn. The way these guys dance is anything but wimpy or girly and this fact is lost to most men and has lead to the demise of this art in these modern times. I mean, there are the cool dance movies but none of them really own the floor like they used to.

What paths might a guy who appreciates the aformentioned artists skills take to learn the trade? Which genres are most applicable to the most hard core dancers like MJ and Sammy Davis Jr etc?

I dunno 

As a blond hair blue eyed european decendant, this was my first true and real understanding of the expression that resulted from the abuse doled out to African Americans. I saw all the movies and all the documentaries but this was the first time I saw it for my own eyes and could actually feel it. You can't sacrafice your own body to the beat and actually get it until you have truly felt 'the beat' and what I saw when these greats danced showed me a new side of reality and i do. I know. 

The world needs more of this amongst the new millenium mummies boy passive aggressive fast talking doosh narrative clogging the airways theses days.

and the cheesyness of the 80s and 90s. Love this.

Hey Drew 

what is your goal here?

To make a career out of dance or to hang with some pretty women and dance around?

If you are looking to make it a career I have little to offer except to say that I used to like cars and I tinkered for years with them to much amusement. When I tried to make a buck off cars the lustre disappeared and I don't care much about them any more. Not true for everyone but that is how it was for me.

MJ was a singer and dance was always part of his show. His origins are closer to vaudville.

So I'll stick to what I know.

I have danced, and I love to dance. I danced last night and the night before and I will again tonight.

I have taken lessons in Tango, Salsa, Swing, Square and Round dance

I have also spent many a fun night in the mosh pit.

I am currently taking Round dance lessons and am assisting in Square dance class.

You are right when you say it is not macho, in fact most people laugh when I tell them that I Square Dance. They say, "Oh I took that in school, Allamand left, Do si do. I loved (or hated) it". Sometimes we call it Dorky Fun. But the reality is that it is really fun.

If you are looking for hotties, try Salsa. There are some seriously hot dancers at the milongas, but beware the men are as hot as the women, so you will have competition.

It was at the Salsa Milonga that I realized that a really good dancer can make his or her partner look like a pro. You see a couple and you think they know alll the moves, then you see him dance with another partner and they look excellent while his first partner struggles with someone else. Like great hockey players, great dancers make their partners look better.  I dance with pretty ladies and I dance with everyone else who is there.

Last night I danced with the belle of the ball, but I also dance with new dancers and dancers 20 years my senior. They sometimes are better than me and sometimes not. That is why I like Square Dance the best, because you get to dance with 4 ladies (and 3 other guys) at the same time and they each bring something different to the experience.

As for lessons, take any or all of the classics, Salsa, Tango, Rumba, Samba, Waltz, Two Step, Hip Hop. We learn all these except Hip Hop in Round dance. Once you've learned the steps you can fit in anywhere and you can mix and match your steps.

Auther Murray is a good place to start, but there are many other places to learn.

One last thing, buy the right shoes and wear the costume, cuz like ZZ Top sang, "Every Girl Crazy Bout a Sharp Dressed Man"

Have fun and good luck.

Archived