The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Prisoners to be placed in men's or women's facility based on how they self identify

Kushman

3 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Okay, so you don't support it, great. Then you wouldn't be opposed to lessening the chances of it happening, right?

My apologies, I wrote that last sentence in an unclear way. Prisons obviously offer drug treatment. It's not a situation where prisoners are being withheld drug treatment because other prisoners are transitioning. 

So the level of education offered, drug treatment and energy spent trying to stop drugs getting into prisons is adequate ?

7 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Is prison cruelty not a deterrent? I just stated the truth.  It doesn't mean i want people to get raped when they go to prison. 

That's quite the jump in assumption for someone to make.  

'Tactic' implies strategy and intention. You said it's an objective of our prisons to dissuade potential offenders from committing crimes through incidents of rape/abuse between inmates. This was in a post arguing that prison is a place where these things are to be expected and never suggesting that it should be otherwise (in fact stating that trans women should not be protected from it). You can't write something like that and think nobody will raise an eyebrow.

4 minutes ago, Dral said:

So the level of education offered, drug treatment and energy spent trying to stop drugs getting into prisons is adequate ?

Is your standard going to be the programs are not adaquate as long as a former patient relapses, can't get a PhD behind bars and a joint manages to get smuggled into prison?

55 minutes ago, Two one one said:

'Tactic' implies strategy and intention. You said it's an objective of our prisons to dissuade potential offenders from committing crimes through incidents of rape/abuse between inmates.

Where did I state? is the left really that pathetic that they have to make up opinion for other people so that they can make a false judgment on them?  You aren't cathy newman by any chance are you?  It's quite a sad way to have a discussion, constantly projecting you're assumptions and making up claims to other people

This was in a post arguing that prison is a place where these things are to be expected and never suggesting that it should be otherwise (in fact stating that trans women should not be protected from it).

Again I never stated that. I said why are trans given more special privileges compared to others. Other inmates don't get that treatment, we can agree that rape does happen in prison. (that doesn't mean I support it).

do I need to post a picture of a ripped, tattooed up man (who identifies as a women) and compare it to a skawny feminine guy (who identifies as a man) and ask who's more likely to get raped? 

You can't write something like that and think nobody will raise an eyebrow.

No one wants to get raped, and fear of how inmates get treated is a deterrent.  That's why plenty of youth who get in trouble, get brought into tough prisons, to show them a glimpse of what goes on.  It's to scare them.  Doesn't mean anyone thinks that type of abuse is acceptable but it does work. 

Here's i'll play your little game.  Two One One and Herddrfunk believe rape in prison is completely unacceptable, but only in regards to men who identify as women. Outside of trans, rape in prison is acceptable...... 

58 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Where did I state? is the left really that pathetic that they have to make up opinion for other people so that they can make a false judgment on them?  You aren't cathy newman by any chance are you?  It's quite a sad way to have a discussion, constantly projecting you're assumptions and making up claims to other people

On 2/1/2018 at 2:39 PM, ForsbergTheGreat said:

It’s prison though. Non trans also have to deal with abuse.  Abuse and rape is to be expected. Why should trans get special privlages. 

That abuse is a scare tactic to keep people from not wanting to go to prison. 

scare tac·tic
ske(ə)r ˈtaktik/
noun

1. a strategy intended to manipulate public opinion about a particular issue by arousing fear or alarm.
    "we need facts, not scare tactics and false information"

58 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Again I never stated that. I said why are trans given more special privileges compared to others. Other inmates don't get that treatment, we can agree that rape does happen in prison. (that doesn't mean I support it).

do I need to post a picture of a ripped, tattooed up man (who identifies as a women) and compare it to a skawny feminine guy (who identifies as a man) and ask who's more likely to get raped? 

Because there are other people who suffer rape, etc. in prisons, nothing should be done to help reduce rape, etc. of a population disproportionately affected by it, even when the solution is so simple?

But there is a difference between a woman being raped in a male prison and a man being raped in a male prison. One is in the correct facility. Removing discriminatory practices from the prison system that happen to put trans women at a greater risk of sexual (and other) violence is not the same thing as granting special privileges to some inmates. It concerns basic human dignity - rights, not privileges.

(It's amusing, btw, that the only person in this conversation who struggles to structure a coherent sentence is the one telling others to go back to the 3rd grade.)

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Here's i'll play your little game.  Two One One and Herddrfunk believe rape in prison is completely unacceptable, but only in regards to men who identify as women. Outside of trans, rape in prison is acceptable...... 

Haha, I'm sure you thought you were being clever but what you did there doesn't work when I've literally said it's unacceptable under any circumstances earlier in the thread, bud. You're the one who, by your own words, considers rape to be a scare tactic to keep people in line.

7 hours ago, Two one one said:
scare tac·tic
ske(ə)r ˈtaktik/
noun

1. a strategy intended to manipulate public opinion about a particular issue by arousing fear or alarm.
    "we need facts, not scare tactics and false information"

Yes, It is used as a scare tactic. Have you ever watched beyond scared straight. Where they bring in juveniles to prison to show them how real and scary prison is. That’s a scare tactic. That doesn’t mean they encourage it, or want rape/abuse to happen. But becuase it does exist, it becomes a deterrent.   

Wow is that really that hard to understand. Man, it’s like I’m teaching kindergaden here.   

But there is a difference between a woman being raped in a male prison and a man being raped in a male prison.

Good and today we don’t have “women” being raped in men’s facilities. 

Haha this is getting tiring. Two trigger happy posters who attempt to dissect other people’s sentences to tell them what they mean. You two are perfect example of why the left is a complete joke. Now go to your safe space

6 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Haha, I'm sure you thought you were being clever but what you did there doesn't work when I've literally said it's unacceptable under any circumstances earlier in the thread, bud. You're the one who, by your own words, considers rape to be a scare tactic to keep people in line.

why do places bring in juvenile to prisons, I guess it’s to show them how roomie the cells are. Haha,  clown shoes. 

9 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

When you have to explain yourself over and over. Yeah it is. 

Or it's that you said something that was pretty messed up and when you were called on it, you didn't want to stand-by the statement but pride wouldn't let you back down either. Seems that way to me anyway. 

Oh, hey, here's something you might be interested in since you've brought up scared straight programs a couple of times now: they don't work and the DOJ no longer funds them.

23 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Or it's that you said something that was pretty messed up and when you were called on it, you didn't want to stand-by the statement but pride wouldn't let you back down either. Seems that way to me anyway. 

Quote me where I said I support rape in prison. Oh wait. You can’t. That’s your pathetic attempt to insert your own context. 

Game set match. 

Oh, hey, here's something you might be interested in since you've brought up scared straight programs a couple of times now: they don't work and the DOJ no longer funds them.

Ah good to know that if you were going to prison rape wouldn’t be one of your concerns. 

7 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Quote me where I said I support rape in prison. Oh wait. You can’t. That’s your pathetic attempt to insert your own context. 

Game set match. 

My apologies, I thought you understood that words have meaning and when you string them together it implies ideas. @Two one one have quoted many instances of you tacitly supporting prison rape in this thread. I suggest that you up your writing game to avoid situations like this in the future.

7 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Ah good to know that if you were going to prison rape wouldn’t be one of your concerns. 

Of course I'd be concerned. That's why I support lessoning its chances to happen to a particularly vulnerable portion of the prison population. Unlike you, who doesn't care because of a mixture of transphobia and thinking the idea of going to prison loses it's bite without the threat of rape hanging over you head.

Archived