The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Condensate spill in the East China Sea - are we risking this in BC?

JM_

7 hours ago, inane said:

You think the pipeline expansion is a good idea, but you've never said anything about massively expanding our current oil output....ok. 

Did I say it was a good idea?

I feel like I'm in A Few Good Men.

"I could have the court reporter read back to you..."

I mentioned how many kms of pipeline there are in BC and asked which one do you want to go to war over.

That said, I believe transporting oil via pipelines is safer than by other means.

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Have you seen the standard of trucks used in our trucking industry.....  are they not also inspected....  ?

I think i just answered your inquiry in my other post. The standards for the trucking industry are very strict and have to meet requirements in every provincial, state, or municipal levels they run in. Drivers go through courses on proper pre-trip, post-trip inspections witch are closely looked at by safety departments. Prime shippers go with the safest fleets even if it costs them more, it weeds out the chaff.

1 minute ago, ice orca said:

I think i just answered your inquiry in my other post. The standards for the trucking industry are very strict and have to meet requirements in every provincial, state, or municipal levels they run in. Drivers go through courses on proper pre-trip, post-trip inspections witch are closely looked at by safety departments. Prime shippers go with the safest fleets even if it costs them more, it weeds out the chaff.

From what  i see,  Trucks in BC do not follow the regulations and run mechanically unsafe vehicles......  

I don't trust the government to enforce the standards....

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

From what  i see,  Trucks in BC do not follow the regulations and run mechanically unsafe vehicles......  

I don't trust the government to enforce the standards....

From what you see? B.C. has one of the highest standards in North America for the transportation industry as well as some of the toughest inspections. Just because you look at a truck and it doesn't look right as you see it as long as it passes safety inspections it is safe. Of course there are the very small few that try to cheat the system but eventually get caught and shut down. Looks sometimes are deceiving,

2 minutes ago, ice orca said:

From what you see? B.C. has one of the highest standards in North America for the transportation industry as well as some of the toughest inspections. Just because you look at a truck and it doesn't look right as you see it as long as it passes safety inspections it is safe. Of course there are the very small few that try to cheat the system but eventually get caught and shut down. Looks sometimes are deceiving,

Low rates for truckers has led to reduced maintainence 

1 minute ago, chilliwiggins said:

My friend who is a trucker said you always have to look under the floor mats on BC trucks as he has seen more than one that had a hole cut on the drivers side floor.

I asked why and he said because the drivers here pee threw the floor while driving among other things. lol.

Urban myth.

2 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

No its a BC reality.and quite common.  

Lol i am having a good laugh at this, someone said something so it must be true. If you really believe this once the truck goes though it's 6 month inspection or D.O.T. inspection it would be shut down and the driver fired...a big big if. Some people are so uninformed about the industry it's sad.

51 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Did I say it was a good idea?

I feel like I'm in A Few Good Men.

"I could have the court reporter read back to you..."

I mentioned how many kms of pipeline there are in BC and asked which one do you want to go to war over.

That said, I believe transporting oil via pipelines is safer than by other means.

So you're opposed to expanding pipelines for increased oil? 

2 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

My friend has a few trucks on the lower mainland and what I left out of what he said to me, was that when he was buying trucks at RICHIE BROS. you could smell some of the trucks that have had this done to.   

Well phone Richie Brothers up and find out..they will get a good morning laugh out of that. This was said about Pakistani and Indian drivers years ago when they started long haul companies. Complete and utter b.s. started by biggots who couldn't stand people who looked different coming into their industry.

31 minutes ago, ice orca said:

Lol i am having a good laugh at this, someone said something so it must be true. If you really believe this once the truck goes though it's 6 month inspection or D.O.T. inspection it would be shut down and the driver fired...a big big if. Some people are so uninformed about the industry it's sad.

Maybe they use empty beer bottles?

Just now, inane said:

Ok.......so you're not opposed to it, nor are you for it. 

Are you playing semantics? 

What is your position on expanding pipelines to move more oil. Simple question.

If there is a need for a new pipeline and everything that can be done to make it as safe as possible for the environment, then I am not opposed to it - for like I said, transporting by other means is worse.  The oil is going to get there one way or another - so get it there the most efficient and safest way.

I see there are zero x truckers in this thread.

Sure, we have standards, and about 8 cops to enforce them.

These guys play Russian roulette with getting caught vs doing maintenance. 

The truckers coming out of the lower mainland are unbelievably bad at their craft and it would get me banned by saying what you’d hear non stop on your radio channel Ladd 1 anyways. 

Regardless of the points being argued about pollution, I just wanted to add in some testimonial and make sure things are in context about the industry. 

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I didn't say what decision - you assume too much.  I simply said there is NO leadership on this issue right now.

thats interesting.... what would 'leadership' look like to you on this? Horgan and Notely are leading their respective camps, Trudeau and his ministers have come out pretty forcefully in the media saying the project is going to happen.... 

Horgan hit a real nerve bringing up the issue the way he did, and for once I actually agree with him. The safety aspect of this project is murky, we're essentially experimenting with the BC coast until someone comes forward with a viable response and cleanup method. 

10 minutes ago, Heretic said:

If there is a need for a new pipeline and everything that can be done to make it as safe as possible for the environment, then I am not opposed to it - for like I said, transporting by other means is worse.  The oil is going to get there one way or another - so get it there the most efficient and safest way.

So you support it. Don't know why you can't just own your position.

25 minutes ago, ice orca said:

Well phone Richie Brothers up and find out..they will get a good morning laugh out of that. This was said about Pakistani and Indian drivers years ago when they started long haul companies. Complete and utter b.s. started by biggots who couldn't stand people who looked different coming into their industry.

nickels worth of free advice:

never open a drywallers joint compound "mud box"

and that bottle in the window sill is not iced tea.

Archived