The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Talon forced to move Second-round pick Adam Mascherin (won't sign with Panthers before draft)

4 hours ago, The Lock said:

Unfortunately, it's not that simple. Let's assume he is working on his weaknesses; most likely he is; so is everyone else around him. It doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't believe in himself if he wants to move on, it actually could very well mean he DOES believe in himself and feels he has a legitimate shot at making the NHL. However, if the competition is stiff enough, even players who would otherwise have a legitimate shot may not even get a chance, and this would be the reason to move on.

It's easy to get into the thought process that every player should want competition, but if that competition level raises high enough, some players who have a legitimate shot at the NHL won't get that shot. Therefore, I think we need to be asking ourselves, are we being selfish by thinking each prospect should stay where they are if it's not in their favour?

This may be true, but look at that list for Florida. If he thought he was a legit player, there are many players on that list that is passable. The thing is, it's just prospects ahead of him and who knows how they will pan out or if they will reach the NHL. If the others are working hard to improve, then he needs to work harder. He controls his own fate and if things aren't working out in a couple of years, then maybe he can request a trade and there would be more interest from other teams that see him putting in the work and just not being able to find a spot (something that Benning seems to have a knack for finding). This is a team that used a 2nd round pick on him, so they must view him highly.

How would we feel if Kole Lind had decided to go this route because he didn't want to compete with the likes of Pettersson, Boeser, Virtanen, Dahlen, Gaudette, Gadjovich, Lockwood, Palmu, etc? The Florida list doesn't even look half as good as this list as well.

15 hours ago, theo5789 said:

This may be true, but look at that list for Florida. If he thought he was a legit player, there are many players on that list that is passable. The thing is, it's just prospects ahead of him and who knows how they will pan out or if they will reach the NHL. If the others are working hard to improve, then he needs to work harder. He controls his own fate and if things aren't working out in a couple of years, then maybe he can request a trade and there would be more interest from other teams that see him putting in the work and just not being able to find a spot (something that Benning seems to have a knack for finding). This is a team that used a 2nd round pick on him, so they must view him highly.

How would we feel if Kole Lind had decided to go this route because he didn't want to compete with the likes of Pettersson, Boeser, Virtanen, Dahlen, Gaudette, Gadjovich, Lockwood, Palmu, etc? The Florida list doesn't even look half as good as this list as well.

I think there may be a bit of bias there if you think Florida's list isn't even half as good as our's. ;)

As far as Lind goes, we've really already had something similar happen in Tryamkin and my reaction to that was "It's his decision. It sucks, but it's his decision." I would say the same thing with Lind.

This kid Adam Mascherin, has pretty good numbers. If he was willing to sign an ECL in Vancouver, I'd probably offer Talon:

To Vancouver:

Mascherin

To FL

2018 5th round pick

MacKenzie Stewart

Why include MacKenzie? We are sitting at 48 contracts against our 50 contract cap. I don't believe that we will qualify Stewart this summer, this would allow us to still have 2 more openings to add contracts for potential college free agents etc. Flushes an unwanted contract off the books.

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

I think there may be a bit of bias there if you think Florida's list isn't even half as good as our's. ;)

As far as Lind goes, we've really already had something similar happen in Tryamkin and my reaction to that was "It's his decision. It sucks, but it's his decision." I would say the same thing with Lind.

Maybe there's a bit of bias there ::D

I think Tryamkin's situation is different. I don't think he left because he thought he couldn't make it to the NHL without finding an easier route. I can't say what the reasoning behind Tryamkin's departure, but it doesn't seem to be a character issue like how I feel in this case. I had the same reaction as you, but I would welcome back Tryamkin, whereas I would stay away from Mascherin. If Tryamkin plays out in the KHL until he's an NHL free agent and signs with whoever is a bottom feeder then, I would change how I feel about him.

3 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Maybe there's a bit of bias there ::D

I think Tryamkin's situation is different. I don't think he left because he thought he couldn't make it to the NHL without finding an easier route. I can't say what the reasoning behind Tryamkin's departure, but it doesn't seem to be a character issue like how I feel in this case. I had the same reaction as you, but I would welcome back Tryamkin, whereas I would stay away from Mascherin. If Tryamkin plays out in the KHL until he's an NHL free agent and signs with whoever is a bottom feeder then, I would change how I feel about him.

I think Tryamkin's situation, while different, it also similar. It's about wanted to be where you feel like you belong. In that sort of sense, there's not much of a difference if you think about it.

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

I think Tryamkin's situation, while different, it also similar. It's about wanted to be where you feel like you belong. In that sort of sense, there's not much of a difference if you think about it.

The speculation is that Tryamkin went back for family reasons and that his wife couldn't adjust to the NA life. I think Tryamkin wanted to be here and has said he would consider coming back when his contract is done in the KHL and still has his Twitter pic of him in a Canuck uniform. The speculation is that Mascherin wants to go somewhere that is easier for him to make the NHL. Is that where he "belongs"? If that is the similarity, Tryamkin seems to show more character in his actions while Mascherin seems like he feels entitled to an NHL spot without earning it.

I feel like I'm misinterpreting what you're saying because I fail to really see any similarity in their situations.

16 hours ago, theo5789 said:

The speculation is that Tryamkin went back for family reasons and that his wife couldn't adjust to the NA life. I think Tryamkin wanted to be here and has said he would consider coming back when his contract is done in the KHL and still has his Twitter pic of him in a Canuck uniform. The speculation is that Mascherin wants to go somewhere that is easier for him to make the NHL. Is that where he "belongs"? If that is the similarity, Tryamkin seems to show more character in his actions while Mascherin seems like he feels entitled to an NHL spot without earning it.

I feel like I'm misinterpreting what you're saying because I fail to really see any similarity in their situations.

There's a difference between entitlement and wanting a better chance. Let's say you want a better chance at your job, does that mean you're entitled suddenly? Does that mean you feel entitled to that spot or just that you want to have a better chance at EARNING that spot. ;)

It's easy to jump to conclusions, I get that. We, as human beings, are natural idealists who easily fret when something is not quite falling into our ideals: but that can also be the problem: they are OUR ideals. Ideals that we have set on ourselves and our OWN set of expectations on others. Therefore, details can seep through the cracks because we are too focused on something not right with our ideals and fail to look at every other thing that might be actually going on.

This is where I think you are not understanding what I'm saying. Tryamkin wanted to better his life and, for him, that's by being with his family clearly. Mascherin also wants to better his life. He's not necessarily looking for a spot to be gifted to him. He's just looking for a better chance, at least from what I understand. That's far from entitlement.

8 hours ago, The Lock said:

There's a difference between entitlement and wanting a better chance. Let's say you want a better chance at your job, does that mean you're entitled suddenly? Does that mean you feel entitled to that spot or just that you want to have a better chance at EARNING that spot. ;)

It's easy to jump to conclusions, I get that. We, as human beings, are natural idealists who easily fret when something is not quite falling into our ideals: but that can also be the problem: they are OUR ideals. Ideals that we have set on ourselves and our OWN set of expectations on others. Therefore, details can seep through the cracks because we are too focused on something not right with our ideals and fail to look at every other thing that might be actually going on.

This is where I think you are not understanding what I'm saying. Tryamkin wanted to better his life and, for him, that's by being with his family clearly. Mascherin also wants to better his life. He's not necessarily looking for a spot to be gifted to him. He's just looking for a better chance, at least from what I understand. That's far from entitlement.

He is going back into the draft and there's no garauntee he's going to land with a team that is in a better scenario for him. This isn't a player opting to head into free agency (unless he holds out again or undrafted) to look at his options. His destiny is still not in his control. Is Florida really that deep that he doesn't even want to try?

Perhaps entitlement is the wrong word for the situation, but at some point Mascherin will need to put in the work to crack a roster because he isn't a player a team will build around and it will be a fluid situation ahead of him no matter what team he is on and he could fall in the depth quickly without the dedication and commitment to the team that he is not showing in this case. As I've mentioned before, if he puts in the work and is just behind the depth from making the roster, a team will notice and could make the trade to give him that opportunity and I personally think that is the better route to the NHL than his tactic.

5 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

What are his reasons for not signing with them. ?

Wouldn't a team trading for him need him to sign a contract with them? Sign and trade deal

Speculation is that he was ignored last spring after he was coming off an injury... 

5abc27b365cee_admm.jpg.2892add8449b2fa703ffbba499f4c4be.jpg

Some people don't think he is fast enough, or will keep producing as he progressives to the pros....

https://www.yardbarker.com/nhl/articles/adam_mascherin_will_not_sign_with_florida_panthers/s1_14825_26000288

"Mascherin is having another strong season for the Kitchener Rangers, where he has collected 40 goals and 86 points in 67 games. He was selected 38th overall in 2016 but will likely re-enter the draft if he doesn’t sign. That’s an interesting move for a player who was already selected relatively high and has attended Panthers prospect camps in the past.

As undersized players are welcomed more and more into the league, perhaps Mascherin feels he can find an even better situation for his professional career. The 5-9 forward possesses an elite shot and is a talented goal scorer who plays much heavier than he is. He’s recorded at least 35 goals in three straight OHL seasons and even broke 100 points last year. Despite that, he has never been included on the Canadian World Junior squad and does have some who doubt that he’ll be able to create offense at the same rate as he progresses through the pro ranks.

Archived