The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Talon forced to move Second-round pick Adam Mascherin (won't sign with Panthers before draft)

I don't see what's unattractive about playing in Florida.  Lower taxs. Hot tropical weather year round.  Hot chicks in bikinis in December at the beach.  A team that is on the upswing.

I hope he gets picked up by Edmonton or Winterpeg.

Honestly, &^@# this honour system where players are expected to play for the teams that drafted them. It's the same garbage mentality that has the old boys clubs running the league instead of more qualified professionals.

If a young kid is able to pick the best opportunity for himself to be an NHL player all the more power to him. It's not a loophole, it's business.

17 minutes ago, Jägermeister said:

Would you work for some company you don't want to be a part of just because they've spend a ton of time and money trying to entice you?

Players don't owe organizations anything.

Some players don't owe some organizations anything just like some organizations don't owe some players anything.  But in the give and take of a professional relationship if you think the bolded statement is true across the board I feel bad for anyone you work for or anyone who works for you... there's no such thing as 'straight business' without relationship and relationship involves give and take which sometimes means you have some form of an obligation to the opposite party.  

12 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

Some players don't owe some organizations anything just like some organizations don't owe some players anything.  But in the give and take of a professional relationship if you think the bolded statement is true across the board I feel bad for anyone you work for or anyone who works for you... there's no such thing as 'straight business' without relationship and relationship involves give and take which sometimes means you have some form of an obligation to the opposite party.  

Don't think it's true across the board.  Definitely think it's true in this circumstance though.

Look at all the kids NHL teams draft and then choose not to sign.  People don't lash out at teams when that happens.  Why aren't people outraged at the Canucks for not signing Kyle Petit or David Honzik in the way they are outraged at Mascherin not signing?  Sometimes 2 parties just don't fit, and it's the choice of either of those parties if that is the case.  In this case, Mascherin clearly doesn't think it fits.

46 minutes ago, Jägermeister said:

Would you work for some company you don't want to be a part of just because they've spend a ton of time and money trying to entice you?

Players don't owe organizations anything.

I would. And I have. After a few years, I did my part and moved on. Or, as it relates to NHL players, free agency.

48 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Honestly, &^@# this honour system where players are expected to play for the teams that drafted them. It's the same garbage mentality that has the old boys clubs running the league instead of more qualified professionals.

If a young kid is able to pick the best opportunity for himself to be an NHL player all the more power to him. It's not a loophole, it's business.

Would you have this opinion if Adam Gaudette or Elias Pettersson pulled this **** on us?  I bet not.

2 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Waiting for a team to trade "future considerations" for him and a 7th rounder, sign him, and then send him back as "future considerations".  (ie. that team gets Florida's 7th rounder for the trouble of signing and releasing him back to Florida :lol: )

10 minutes ago, Jägermeister said:

May I ask why you would willingly detriment yourself just to validate someone else's efforts?

Leaving a job that furthers your career and builds your resume after 6 months rather than 3 years looks pretty bad on a resume.

Kind of like refusing to sign with the team that drafted you. Doesn’t look very good.

13 minutes ago, Monty said:

Leaving a job that furthers your career and builds your resume after 6 months rather than 3 years looks pretty bad on a resume.

Kind of like refusing to sign with the team that drafted you. Doesn’t look very good.

If you were already working for that company, that is entirely different and not really what I asked.  Unless it is the case you initially worked for them over others solely because they wanted you the most.

Mascherin has never signed a contract, he is not an employee of the Florida organization.  This is essentially the rejection of a job offer, which is very different from quitting a job.

22 minutes ago, Captain Azzy said:

I would not touch a kid with 'character' like this with a 100ft bargepole.

While I'm generally in favour of players sticking with the team that drafted them, I do think you have to be careful to label him leaving absolutely as a character issue... it very well may be, but sometimes there are extenuating circumstance that make what originally appears to pretty cut and dry a little more... difficult.  Who knows? 

2 hours ago, Jägermeister said:

If wanting what you believe is best for your career makes you entitled, then I guess we're all entitled (or we'd stupid not to be).

If you haven't played a single game in the nhl, you have no idea what's best for your career. Also if this is the way the thought process is going to go they better start making ways for teams to get reimbursed.

13 hours ago, MikeyBoy44 said:

Still waiting for the cba to fix the rules on these entitled kids. 

This is the first time in awhile I've heard of a drafted player not in the NCAA not signing with his team by the choice of the player. We see it far more often that a player re-enters the draft because the team has neglected to sign them. We see this occasionally with NCAA players, but very rarely with cases like this, so to try and single it out in the CBA gives all the power to the teams but none to the players.

10 hours ago, goalie13 said:

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what the rule is.

I have no problem with the rule as-is.  Once he signs an NHL contract, he is under that team's thumb until he's 27.  If there is something he doesn't like about the organization, this is the one opportunity to exercise their rights to somewhat control their career.  There is risk in it for the player too.

Bingo. There's nothing to fix here. It doesn't allow them full control to sign with another team. They have to take their chances with the draft to see who else picks up on them, compared to the college players who can create a bidding war for their services.

It's rare we see this type of case as it has to be pretty serious for a player to not want to sign with their drafted team to risk getting picked by a team they might like less.

30 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

This is the first time in awhile I've heard of a drafted player not in the NCAA not signing with his team by the choice of the player. We see it far more often that a player re-enters the draft because the team has neglected to sign them. We see this occasionally with NCAA players, but very rarely with cases like this, so to try and single it out in the CBA gives all the power to the teams but none to the players.

Maybe so, and I'm not saying I don't understand the otherside of the argument, but I just don't like the idea of someone who has proven nothing at the level he thinks he has the right to negotiate his rights. I don't see this happen in other unions and don't get why this one should be any different.

3 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

He's not able to pick the best opportunity for himself, at least not until he gets passed by in another draft. What this is is him being able to avoid what he feels is his worst opportunity.

But I agree it's not even an issue where people should be getting upset at the player. The NHLPA is around to negotiate for things like this for a reason. This is a reasonable part of the process.

1 minute ago, MikeyBoy44 said:

Maybe so, and I'm not saying I don't understand the otherside of the argument, but I just don't like the idea of someone who has proven nothing at the level he thinks he has the right to negotiate his rights. I don't see this happen in other unions and don't get why this one should be any different.

This isn't him getting all the power, it's just him removing himself from one situation. If there's 15 or even 25 other teams he'd prefer to be on other than Florida, he could still end up with one of the others he might prefer less. It's not a win win situation for the player, which is why we see it so infrequently.

I'm not so sure this doesn't happen similarly in other leagues. Certainly any union worth being in would have at least some rights for the player in a situation like this, so it's not like the NHLPA alone has teams over a barrel.

2 hours ago, J-Dizzle said:

While I'm generally in favour of players sticking with the team that drafted them, I do think you have to be careful to label him leaving absolutely as a character issue... it very well may be, but sometimes there are extenuating circumstance that make what originally appears to pretty cut and dry a little more... difficult.  Who knows? 

Most people talking about character here would have had Lindros on their team in a heartbeat. Same probably goes for bringing Tryamkin back. I'm not too worried about what those people think, and I guarantee Mascherin isn't either.

Archived