[Proposal] Ritchie & Honka from Dallas

To Dallas:
Sven Baertschi
Troy Stecher

To Vancouver:
Brett Ritchie
Julius Honka

Why does Dallas do this:
Seriously lacking in secondary scoring, especially on the left side (Remi Elie was slotted in as their second line LW). Baertschi's points per game is much higher than their forwards outside of the top 3. Dallas barely missed the playoffs and finished 9th in the west in scoring despite having a strong first line in Benn, Seguin, and Radulov. Shipping out two struggling players for someone who can produce offence at a low cap hit may be a small gamble worth taking. 

Why does Vancouver do this:
Each player Vancouver receives is a year younger than the shipped-out counterpart (Honka nearly two years younger than Stecher). Ritchie brings size (with some skill) to our forward group. Honka is a great skater with a lot of offensive upside. Baertschi looks somewhat redundant with the log jam of similar forwards, and perhaps Leipsic may have taken his spot as he has a similar skill set with more grit and tenacity. This trade overall makes us a bit younger, adds speed and potentially more offence from the back-end, and size up front. 

I disagree with this helping us Honka hasn’t proven he can hang with the big boys and Bear-Cheese is just sooo much better then Ritchie I’d rather be 1 year old and way farther in their development. That is just to much of a step back for me. Also look all the cup winners lately other then LA their teams aren’t huge 

4 minutes ago, Ojibwa72 said:

Switch Stetcher for Hutton and try for Gavin Bayreunther. 23yrs old 6'1 and listed 195.

Baer + Hutton for Ritchie and Bayreuther is a deal I could get down with.

Interesting proposal.  

I don't believe Ritchie is never going to be a real scorer in this league.  He regressed this season and I feel the guy is good for maybe 20 points a season.  Excellent for a 4th line guy, and maybe even 3rd line level in a pinch.  His size is good.  But don't we already have a similar player in Archibald?  (Assuming he is re-signed).  As soft as he may be, Baertschi is a far better player.  

Honka's value seems lower to me now than ever. Highly touted at one point, but I haven't seen proof so far he can play in this league.  Stecher may not have as much upside but at least he can play regularly in the NHL.  Still, I perceive Honka to have the higher value even though I really like Stecher and he is the one young guy on our roster I want us to keep and try to develop.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is I wonder if this actually improves our team or not.  A 3rd liner and a prospect with dwindling expectations to us in exchange for a 2nd liner and a mobile 3rd pairing defenseman. Seems almost like a step back for us....

9 hours ago, kloubek said:

Interesting proposal.  

I don't believe Ritchie is never going to be a real scorer in this league.  He regressed this season and I feel the guy is good for maybe 20 points a season.  Excellent for a 4th line guy, and maybe even 3rd line level in a pinch.  His size is good.  But don't we already have a similar player in Archibald?  (Assuming he is re-signed).  As soft as he may be, Baertschi is a far better player.  

Honka's value seems lower to me now than ever. Highly touted at one point, but I haven't seen proof so far he can play in this league.  Stecher may not have as much upside but at least he can play regularly in the NHL.  Still, I perceive Honka to have the higher value even though I really like Stecher and he is the one young guy on our roster I want us to keep and try to develop.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is I wonder if this actually improves our team or not.  A 3rd liner and a prospect with dwindling expectations to us in exchange for a 2nd liner and a mobile 3rd pairing defenseman. Seems almost like a step back for us....

I don't see Ritchie being a great scorer, I'd say his ceiling is 20 goals. He did score 16 as a 23 year old. I slot him in as a Physical 15, a player who can score 15 goals per season, 100 hits, fight when needed, from the 3rd line. 

Honka's value is definitely low. I'd rather move Hutton, but not sure if it works from Dallas' side. Don't forget Honka is still young (Virtanen draft) and put up strong AHL numbers. He has a tonne of offensive upside and I wouldn't write him off after a lackluster half season in the NHL. He is a fast, right side D who plays with some grit. 

5 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Stecher is what we'd hope Honka could be. Lol.

Honka has far more upside than Stecher, I wouldn't write him off completely after a mediocre half season in the NHL. If Honka became Stecher level that would be a huge disappointment - he is almost 2 years younger than Stecher and put up really strong numbers in the AHL and WHL. 

Archived