The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Babcock-Matthews rift?

Alflives

well the laffs maybe should just hire crawford to their coaching staff

he did a fine job with matthews during the 1 year matthews played for him in europe

he can be a buffer if this minor waft of smoke really means anything

matthews is viewed by many as a superstar to generational type player

i think that is a bit overhyped

but i doubt any coach, even babcock, can win a fight with a player of that magnitude and potential

babcock certainly is in a rare situation himself given his apparent solid position in toronto

but fans will want babcock turfed before matthews

and the toronto upper brass knows the fans cannot be ignored (remember the jerseys on the ice incidents)

I think there is more to this. Mathews just doesn't strike me as a guy that likes to get pushed. While Babcock is a pusher. I wonder if Mathews would of developed better with some time playing CHL? He just seems to lack that battle you want from a number one franchise centreman.

On 4/27/2018 at 10:26 PM, rekker said:

I think there is more to this. Mathews just doesn't strike me as a guy that likes to get pushed. While Babcock is a pusher. I wonder if Mathews would of developed better with some time playing CHL? He just seems to lack that battle you want from a number one franchise centreman.

does give that impression - as well as appears to have an ego that leaks in his way.

26 minutes ago, oldnews said:

does give that impression - as well as appears to have an ego that leaks in his way.

Will be interesting to see how the relationship goes with Mathews, Babcock, fans, contracts, PP time, etc goes. Team success will cover up a lot of things. But if it goes a little sideways there look out. 

Archived