The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Babcock-Matthews rift?

Alflives

1 minute ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I heard that Matthews refuted this pretty much instantly. Obviously that's what any professional would do but still, it seems like it's Toronto sports media being Toronto sports media.

Start the Matthews to Arizona trade rumours on TSN?  

8 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

I'm a fan of Matthews, and think he is being criticized unfairly, but that is a great trade for TO. They get a franchise dman, a top 6 fwd, and what is likely a top 3 pick. 

I'm not sold on OEL being a franchise dman. I think he's a solid top pairing guy, but he's basically Edler before the back injury, so take that for what it's worth. Domi bounced back from a terrible start, but he's not going to be a key piece in this type of deal at this point (although his name would do wonders in TO). The draft pick is uncertain as it could fall as low as 6th, which is not the same impact as a top 3 pick. If it is not a top 3 pick, that takes away from the value of it, but we will see after the reveal tomorrow.

This deal creates a massive hole at center and unless they sign Tavares, it might create more problems than it solves. Maybe if it was Strome instead of Domi (or Strome included if the pick drops to 6th). There isn't even a top ranked center in this draft either to help with the top 6 pick.

Matthews has already said that there is no quarrel or rift between them. Kypryos was the one that speculated it and it had no backing. TSN is just looking for something Toronto Maple Leaf related to blow out of proportion.

1 hour ago, Jaku said:

Matthews has already said that there is no quarrel or rift between them. Kypryos was the one that speculated it and it had no backing. TSN is just looking for something Toronto Maple Leaf related to blow out of proportion.

Kypreos?  'nuf said.  That punch he took from Vandenbush (or whatever the guy's name was) has done permanent damage to the clown know as Kypreos.  He's about as good a commentator/analyst as he was a hockey player.

1 hour ago, Jaku said:

I actually think it was everyone else that blew Kypreos' report out of proportion. Kypreos talked about how Babcock seemed to lean on Marner more than Matthews and talked about how Babcock "lost" Matthews. I think people took the word "lost" and saw it as synonymous with the way people talk about a coach "losing the room" as opposed to a coach losing out on the production he expects from his best player. 

Archived