The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

23 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

Every highlight package I have seen of his, he is playing on the perimeter.  That's not going to work in the NHL.  In contrast, you watch Podkolzin and every highlight of his is right down Main St.  I would be very wary of taking Zegras.

Absolutely. I watched the U18 and Podkolzin was relatively quiet for the first few games I watched. But the Gold game he was outstanding. So much power, protects the puck so well along the boards, drives the net, speed and power, that's what I saw. He rose to the occasion when it mattered, and I could see him being a playoff beast one day. Call me crazy, but I'm surprised Jack Hughes has been ranked #1 all year. I don't think he's the best player. Kakko is better. Hughes is a great skater and skilled with the puck, but he doesn't have that power or bullish grit that Podkolzin has.

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

wow, I haven't heard that about him yet. I thought you were higher on him, what changed your mind? 

Alf has coveted several prospects over the last few months. He seems to change his mind every few weeks. Seider is this week’s flavour. I appreciate his passion. I find him quite humorous.

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I always take the scouting reports with a grain of salt, but he does sound like a smart player and good skater. My one worry is Button has dropped him from 10 to 17 recently, but in his May 9th mock draft he's got us picking Broberg which is fine by me. Hello Edler 2.0 (I realize many on CDC would hate that idea :P)

He is apparently a much better skater than Edler.  Edler has very underrated hands and an incredibly physical player when he wants to be.  I am not sure Broberg is that guy.  To me he is a lot like Bouwmester, but I admittedly have only really watched highlights.

• Cheers 1

Just now, CaptainLinden16 said:

He is apparently a much better skater than Edler.  Edler has very underrated hands and an incredibly physical player when he wants to be.  I am not sure Broberg is that guy.  To me he is a lot like Bouwmester, but I admittedly have only really watched highlights.

yeah mad Edler is fun to watch. 

curious where Kaliyev will end up, I know he needs work but he can put it in the net and he's got an NHL frame already. 

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

Every highlight package I have seen of his, he is playing on the perimeter.  That's not going to work in the NHL.  In contrast, you watch Podkolzin and every highlight of his is right down Main St.  I would be very wary of taking Zegras.

And that's a fair argument. Not sure it qualifies as a 'tool' though.

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Absolutely. I watched the U18 and Podkolzin was relatively quiet for the first few games I watched. But the Gold game he was outstanding. So much power, protects the puck so well along the boards, drives the net, speed and power, that's what I saw. He rose to the occasion when it mattered, and I could see him being a playoff beast one day. Call me crazy, but I'm surprised Jack Hughes has been ranked #1 all year. I don't think he's the best player. Kakko is better. Hughes is a great skater and skilled with the puck, but he doesn't have that power or bullish grit that Podkolzin has.

People tend to forget that NHL hockey players are bigger AND faster.  The gaps are smaller and the ice rink is smaller too, so you have to be comfortable with having someone lean on you no matter how fast you are.  Hughes is another level skater, so I don't know if it applies to him as much.  After seeing Quinn skate, I don't need to see Hughes skate although I went to the gold medal game at the WJC.  Not very noticeable.  Ryan Phoeling looked to be a real player.  I would trade a lot to MTL for him.  For me the easy standout of that game.  Chemlevski was also very prevalent in that game but for different reasons.  He missed so many chances.  He could have easily had 3-4 goals instead of one.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Seider? and he's big and mean.  He's kind of like a young version (rough around the edges) Sasquatch guy like they have in SJ. 

Sorry, who is SJ?  

Its hard to keep up with all the abbreviations. 

2 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

People tend to forget that NHL hockey players are bigger AND faster.  The gaps are smaller and the ice rink is smaller too, so you have to be comfortable with having someone lean on you no matter how fast you are.  Hughes is another level skater, so I don't know if it applies to him as much.  After seeing Quinn skate, I don't need to see Hughes skate although I went to the gold medal game at the WJC.  Not very noticeable.  Ryan Phoeling looked to be a real player.  I would trade a lot to MTL for him.  For me the easy standout of that game.  Chemlevski was also very prevalent in that game but for different reasons.  He missed so many chances.  He could have easily had 3-4 goals instead of one.

First, Benning calls Bergevan and tells him the Canucks have interest in Lavoie. MTL panics and become open to a trade. (lol)

To MTL: #10 (this way they can guarantee getting Lavoie, if they want him that badly), plus?  

To VAN: #15 and Poehlling

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

First, Benning calls Bergevan and tells him the Canucks have interest in Lavoie. MTL panics and become open to a trade. (lol)

To MTL: #10 (this way they can guarantee getting Lavoie, if they want him that badly), plus?  

This is the only trade down scenario I would do in a heartbeat.  Add a 2nd or 3rd or whatever evens it out.

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Thats where Benning also thinks the defenders have value in this draft mid to late.  So Broberg/Seider and Phoeling for 10th and 2nd rd pick.  That would be sweet.

cole-caufield-2018-6563.jpg.7547228004e4417766f200771a01885c.jpg

Does this look like a guy who will dominate the NHL? lol Kind of funny, looking at all of the photos of the USNDT players, it looks like they all had makeovers (hair styles, skin care, teeth whitening, etc) prior to the photos lol Are these guys a bit pampered?

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I would trade Gaudette (French name!) for him straight up too in a heartbeat.  Poehlling is gritty, fast and has intensity while having very good offensive skills.

On 5/23/2019 at 12:57 PM, NUCKER67 said:

Reasons for "NO"

- Podkolzin - may stay in Russia

- Broberg - hockey IQ and development time

- Caufield - too small

- Newhook - playing in BCHL may have inflated his stats

- Seider - injury history and development time

- Kaliyev - plays disinterested at times

Staying in Russia another year or 2 shouldnt be the reason to pass on Podkolzin. It should be about upside. If hes rly as good as he's been touted to be. If he is we shouldnt be passing on him.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Wasn't Jake supposed to work on his hands last summer? Chose to work on his card hands in Vegas instead I guess. lol

Skating

Shot

Passing

Stick-handling

D-game

Physicality

Hockey IQ

Competitiveness

Who does ALL of these things best?

So the most well rounded? Id say Boldy  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, canuck cole said:

No way Ottawa takes on Erikssons contract for that price, Canucks would need to add a lot more.

Change 32 to 44. #19 & #44.

The difference of prospect at 10 compared to 19 is big, & Eriksson is somewhat beneficial for OTT to reach the cap floor. Throw in a pick or something else on our end if need be.

20 minutes ago, canuck cole said:

No way Ottawa takes on Erikssons contract for that price, Canucks would need to add a lot more.

Rather we try to move something like Eriksson (as a 'future' so we pay his July 1 bonus and his contract value is upside down for OTT) + Brisebois + their 6th back for Ceci.