The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

HHOF Class of 2018: Martin Brodeur, Martin St. Louis, Alexander Yakushev, Jayna Hefford, Willie O'Ree, Gary Bettman

13 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

Mike Vernon

2 Stanley Cups

Conn Smythe trophy

William Jennings trophy

5 All Star games

World Championship Silver medal

That one should be irrelevant as Marcel Dionne never even got close to sniffing one.  Conn Smythe (from an individual standpoint which is what a HHOF entry should be for) is far, far more important than those two Cups.  I will grant you he was pretty darn good in those two post-seasons.  Problem was, he also was fairly awful in a number of other years.  Whether those numerous 'down periods' offset those two great seasons is subject to debate.  There was an old 80s joke in Alberta:

"Did you hear? Mike Vernon was nearly killed by a truck while he crossed the street in Calgary!

Luckily, the truck went through his legs, so he's okay..."

Luongo has a Jennings (in fact he was willing to share one with Schneider which goes to show how much of a team player he became as a Canuck).  Luongo has a gold medal as well (though that like the Cup is more of a team achievement unless you're a guy like Hasek).  John Garrett was legitimately in the running for 'player of the game' in an allstar game once (ask Garrett, he'll tell you so! :lol:).  Luongo has been in 6 All Star games in any event.

In any event, I didn't say there wasn't any other goalie that wasn't in the HHOF yet that was more worthy than Luongo - only that the list would be a very short one.

I certainly was not stating that Luongo does not deserve to be in the HOF (personally I think that he does).

Nor was I trying to say that Vernon should be inducted before Luongo (I think that it's a toss-up as to which one gets in first).

I was only trying to express my opinion that Vernon should be on the short list of goalies to be inducted next.

I should have been more clear about that, instead of just listing stats.

1 minute ago, 420since1974 said:

I certainly was not stating that Luongo does not deserve to be in the HOF (personally I think that he does).

Nor was I trying to say that Vernon should be inducted before Luongo (I think that it's a toss-up as to which one gets in first).

I was only trying to express my opinion that Vernon should be on the short list of goalies to be inducted next.

Fair enough.  Peace.:)

23 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

With Marty Brodeur going in (like that was ever in doubt :lol:), how long before Luongo goes in (obviously not that soon considering he's still playing in the league LOL).

I mean, what other goalies can/will go in before Luo?  Can't be a potential big list.

Vernon and Barrasso are both well overdue.

Broduer was obvious, nice to see St.Louis get in first try, was one of the best for a decade and he's the poster boy for the little engine that could, plus it bodes well for the Sedins when they are up given their careers lined up (played in the same era).  Alfie should wait a little while longer.  Not sure what's up with Bettman, he deserves to get in as a builder given what the business is like now compared to how it was when he started (growth, stability, vanilla, etc etc), but he's not a fan fave that's for sure.  

On 2018-06-28 at 7:11 PM, Kevin Biestra said:

Vernon and Barrasso are both well overdue.

Don't think an 18 year old coming out of high school hockey will win another Vezina anytime soon...two cups helps too, his prickly persona is supposedly the reason he wasn't Inducted a decade or so ago, not that it should matter at all now, Bettmans in.  

On 7/3/2018 at 10:12 AM, smokes said:

Bettman taints this hockey class so much. A commissioner who lost a season and a half of hockey? In the HOF? That's a joke if I ever saw one. 

I don't see how someone overseeing a corrupt DPS and allowing Kelly Sutherland to blatantly rig games should be in the HOF, ever.  He's lucky no one has been killed due to the garbage the refs pull due to the complete lack of accountability.  Would love to see some player's lawyer send his pitiful ass to prison for criminal negligence. 

He should have been fired on the spot for the Fox puck debacle.

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

I don't see how someone overseeing a corrupt DPS and allowing Kelly Sutherland to blatantly rig games should be in the HOF, ever.  He's lucky no one has been killed due to the garbage the refs pull due to the complete lack of accountability.  Would love to see some player's lawyer send his pitiful ass to prison for criminal negligence. 

He should have been fired on the spot for the Fox puck debacle.

#neverforget

10 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I also think they both deserve consideration.  I just consider Vernon and Barrasso automatics.  But obviously the Hall committee feels otherwise.

Absolutely.  I'd have Osgood close behind, then Cujo.   No way Detroit wins their last cup and goes to the final the next year without his heroics,  Osgood was Detroits front runner for the Conn Smythe the year PIT won, at least that's what the TV guys were telling us at the time.   He played behind some great Detroit teams early on (some backing up Hasek) but not as good later and that's why I think he should be in the HHOF, 400 wins and one hand full of rings.  

Archived