The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Charges Laid In Tragic Humboldt Crash

-DLC-

24 minutes ago, riffraff said:

I suppose that all depends on politics within the associations.  @chon derry May have some insight here.  By the sounds of it there are legit operations that have been calling for improved safety and qualification requirements for some time - to the point of a foreshadowed warning.

something like the Humboldt incident was forgone conclusion ,as far as i'm concerned ,the only unknown variable was the location. everybody has to start some where, i've said it before , graduated licencing exists from "L, N" to class 5 ,so why cant that same type of graduation towards class 1 exist? thats how I started  but I didnt have any choice in the matter ,my father ran the freight company I started with and I started on a 1 ton P&D (pickup and delivery) and then updated as I became age applicable, as well there was seniority reasons (union) that may have held back these up grades in higher classification, I was fortunate that the company was reputable , and had contract agreement with the teamsters ,for accessibility  to pulp mills sawmills cannery etc , those union stipulations regarding access aren't as strict anymore , if the even exist at all on the praires , bottom line like any other business the experience you gain is going to be better with the more reputable companies ,and that just doesnt exist throughout the competitive nature of trucking these days , lower wages attract the lower quality driver . hard to get away from that , in a deregulated industry .

20 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Again, I am in no way absolving the driver for his actions, but I believe that one thing they have to do is address that blind corner.

It's a tough thing for the owner of the property there, because trees in Saskatchewan are quite often planted as wind breaks, but I think improving the safety of that intersection by eliminating anything that might block a driver's vision, is a common sense measure.

ironically the tree's from a legal stand point weren't a sight distance problem , and Mr. sidhu couldn't have used it as an argument since the stop sign (regulatory, enforceable  ) was already there , and had he stopped he would have had adequate sight lines , ironically the bus driver DID have a sight distance problem , but him having the right of way ,and experienced at this intersection had no reason to slow down, yield or stop , , but had the trees not been there he the bus driver  could havepossibly seen the truck and taken evasive action, i've read that the intersection is going to become 4way stop ,4 stop signs on posts flashing lights and a cable strung 4way flashing red overhead.         really really bad timing .

The semi driver who caused the Humboldt Broncos crash committed 70 violations of federal and provincial trucking regulations in the 11 days leading to the April 6, 2018 tragedy, according to a court document.

Jaskirat Singh Sidhu should not have been on the road when he caused the death of 16 people and injuries to 13 others, stated a Saskatchewan government report filed during Singh's sentencing hearing Monday in Melfort, Sask.

:(:picard:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/jaskirat-sidhu-driving-violations-1.4996814

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/father-of-humboldt-bronco-player-got-apology-in-tearful-meeting-with-truck-driver-1.4278271

This ripped my guts out.

MELFORT, Sask. -- The father of a player killed in the Humboldt Broncos bus crash says he thinks meeting face-to-face with the truck driver who caused the collision was a powerful moment in both of their lives.

Scott Thomas, whose son Evan died in the April 6 crash, said both he and Jaskirat Singh Sidhu cried when the two met privately at Sidhu's sentencing hearing this week.

"It was a very powerful, very emotional 15 minutes," said Thomas. "There were lots of tears on both our parts.

"He said exactly what he said in court ... 'I'm sorry, I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry."'

Thomas was sitting in court in Melfort, Sask., Wednesday when Sidhu's brother tapped him on the knee and asked if Thomas would meet with their family after the hearing ended for the day.

"We went into a small room in the back," Thomas told The Canadian Press in an interview Thursday.

Thomas had frequently said he would like to meet with the truck driver.

He said Sidhu asked him how he could make it right for his family.

"I said, 'So far, you've done everything that's in your power,"' Thomas recalled. "He pled guilty, he took away the possibility of a long, drawn-out trial. He ended the proceedings in a pretty short and quick and efficient manner and definitely saved our families a lot of grief going forward.

"In his words, he can't do anything to make it better, but he can stop proceedings that make it worse. That's what he did. He's already taken steps in that direction."

Thomas said he accepted Sidhu's apology.

"Absolutely," said Thomas. "It was a powerful moment in both of our lives, I think. It's what I had asked for."

This is an amazing story of humanity. 

Mr Sidhu made mistakes. He can't undo them. He is taking responsibility for them and doing whatever he can to not let the pain continue. This doesn't mean he gets a free pass. He should still be punished. As human beings we need to realize his actions are being punished. Actions that cannot happen again. That is justice.

The person Jaskirat Singh Sidhu should be commended right now. It is not easy to admit when you are wrong. It is not easy to take ownership for something so damaging. He will carry this with him forever. Internally he will pay a price. Given his actions over the last few weeks I think he is a decent human being. What makes him decent will also be a source of a lot of internal pain. I sincerely wish him all the best going forward.

What really rips my guts out is Scott Thomas. So much strength of character. It would be so easy to just be enraged with anger at Mr Sidhu. Instead he gave Mr Sidhu the opportunity to apologize. Scott Thomas recognized it is a time to heal. Anger does not bring healing. He shared tears with the man many think he should hate.  "It was a powerful moment in both of our lives, I think. It's what I had asked for."    Not many people can understand just how powerful that is. This is the height of the human spirit in my mind.

I make no apologies if this next bit is cheesy to some. It isn't to me.

One of my favourite movies is Super 8. An impactful line at the climax is "Bad things happen. But you can still live."

I think Scott Thomas exemplifies this. He knows life goes on no matter the tragedy. He recognizes that you can't really live if you carry pain. It is best to move forward with peace and forgiveness. 

According to an immigration lawyer, Sidhu will be deported to India, once he finishes serving his sentence:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/semi-driver-in-humboldt-broncos-crash-will-likely-be-deported-says-immigration-lawyer/ar-BBT3CBX?li=AAggNb9

A well-known policy analyst and lawyer believes it's likely Jaskirat Singh Sidhu will be deported after serving his sentence in Canada.

Last year Sidhu, who is now 30, drove his semi through a stop sign without braking, causing the Humboldt Broncos team bus to slam into the semi's side. Sixteen people died in the crash and 13 were injured.

In January, Sidhu pleaded guilty to 16 counts of dangerous driving causing death and 13 counts of dangerous driving causing injury.

During a sentencing hearing this week in Melfort, Sask., the Crown prosecutor advocated for a 10-year prison sentence.

Immigration lawyer Richard Kurland said since Sidhu pleaded guilty to a serious charge, it's very likely he will be sent back to his birth country of India once he completes his sentence.

"It's not the sentence that counts," said Kurland. "It's the fact that this is an indictable offence."

Sidhu grew up on a farm in India and followed his girlfriend to Canada in 2013. Sidhu is a permanent resident, not a citizen of Canada.

Under federal law, a permanent resident convicted of a crime that holds a maximum sentence of at least 10 years will be deported.

There are few chances of appeal. He could appeal the deportation order if he receives a sentence of less than six months.

"If your actual sentence is more than six months, then you have no right of appeal to the Immigration Appeal Commission," said lawyer Benjamin Perryman. "If you're above six months, you don't get this opportunity to argue how serious the crime was, that you've been here for a long time, these are your attachments to Canada."

If he receives a conditional discharge, meaning he would not serve prison time but instead live under certain conditions, he could avoid deportation completely.

Immigration lawyer Kurland said the scenarios that would see Sidhu able to stay in Canada seem unlikely.

• 1 month later...

Sidhu gets 8 years:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/truck-driver-in-broncos-crash-gets-eight-years/ar-BBV5jk6?li=AAggNb9

A truck driver who caused the deadly Humboldt Broncos crash has been sentenced to eight years in prison.

Jaskirat Singh Sidhu of Calgary had pleaded guilty earlier this year to 29 counts of dangerous driving. He stood quietly and looked ahead at the judge as he was sentenced Friday.

Judge Inez Cardinal told court in Melfort, Sask., that she approached the sentence knowing "nothing can turn back the clock."

She also noted that Sidhu's remorse and guilty plea were mitigating factors, but added she had to consider the number of people who died or were severely injured and face lifelong challenges.

Sidhu barrelled through a stop sign and into the path of the junior hockey team's bus at a rural Saskatchewan intersection last April.

Sixteen people were killed and 13 were injured.

Cardinal said the collision was avoidable.

"Mr. Sidhu had ample time to react ... had he been paying attention," she said.

"Somehow we must stop this carnage on our highways."

The Crown wanted the 30-year-old Sidhu to be sent to prison for 10 years, while the defence said other cases suggested a range of 1 1/2 to 4 1/2 years.

Seems fair, in something so terribly and tragically unfair.  Even some of the parents who've met with him are conflicted in this because it doesn't bring back their kids.

I'm sure this guy didn't set out to kill a bunch of people...but his actions led to him doing so and were irresponsible and negligent.  He has to assume some responsibility for them.  Hope his employer does too...

39 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Seems fair, in something so terribly and tragically unfair.

Sums it up.

39 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Hope his employer does too...

Fines, at most. But the employer didn’t tell

him to blast through the sign. As someone who worked closely with small business owners in the past, particularly with truck drivers, I’m not sure there’s much to go after, aside from the fines for safety issues; although, I believe none of those had to do with this.

2 minutes ago, Monty said:

Sums it up.

Fines, at most. But the employer didn’t tell

him to blast through the sign. As someone who worked closely with small business owners in the past, particularly with truck drivers, I’m not sure there’s much to go after, aside from the fines for safety issues; although, I believe none of those had to do with this.

True enough.

But it seems he didn't train him adequately or check log books as he should have?  I believe I read that.  Creating a very lax work environment that ignored rules?

Archived