The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes Vs Rasmus Dahlin!

SuperJr

4 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Maybe go back to your own board instead of trolling a Canuck board with spelling and grammar lessons.

Sabres is a respected long time poster on this board.  

I can’t defend the grammar police aspect of any poster though...   

• Upvote 2

Maybe go back to your own board instead of trolling a Canuck board with spelling and grammar lessons.

I've been on active member on this board for over 6 years and have been a fan of the Canucks since the 80's.  You've been on CDC for a few months and I'll bet not even alive in the 80's.  It's more "my board" than it is yours.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Sabres is a respected long time poster on this board.  

I can’t defend the grammar police aspect of any poster though...  

Believe me.  I hold back big time.  It's a gigantic pet peeve of mine that Millennials are causing the English language to devolve.  I recently watched a season of a trashy reality show straight from the UK and they are just as bad as any American or Canadian and it's their frickin' language.

• Cheers 1

Dude that's pretty hypocritical.

11 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

What is with all the question marks when you type? It makes your writing look ridiculous and make no sense. 

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Believe me.  I hold back big time.  It's a gigantic pet peeve of mine that Millennials are causing the English language to devolve.  I recently watched a season of a trashy reality show straight from the UK and they are just as bad as any American or Canadian and it's their frickin' language.

Been to England.  They have ‘orrible grammar and are all too proud to abuse their language. ‘Too bloody right!’  

We hosted a English private school rugby team in Campbell River when I was 15.  One guy went up to the counter at the Mc D’s and asked for a ‘packet of fags’. (Pack of Cigarettes) He almost got lynched by some good old boys. Language does matter. 

My wife went to a semester abroad in England and got there in a cold rainy miserable January.   It took her a month to realize that when someone said ‘ya al’right’ they were saying hello, not showing concern about your health. 

The english language has been under ‘assult’ long before this latest generation and will survive. Let it go and chill out. Hockey will start again soon. 

Edited by Eastcoast meets Westcoast
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Sabres,

Dont get rattled by a thread in the dead of summer lol. I do agree that size matters... but disagree with the Bomqvist idea. The reason Hughes is getting hyped IMO is his selection to the USA men’s WC team. He held his own playing with all stars, nhl all stars. Added to that he played a year of NCAA and did well in a top development league.  Bomqvist has played well in a lower league and couldn’t crack even his WJ team this year. Realistically it should be equally hard to crack the Us or Swedish WJ teams.  So Quinn does compete with Dahlin in terms of successes in his draft year but I am absolutely sure that no one drafts Hughes over Dahlin. 

His skating and IQ are up there with Dahlins,  maybe even better, but who knows, but Dahlin is the total package.  Unless Hughes grows 3 inches which is possible and adds a lot of HP to his shot I don’t think this will change anytime soon. 

I'm far from rattled.  I've been reading this thread from the first post and only just started to post in it.  I usually have plans every Sunday, but had nothing scheduled through the morning and afternoon and this is the only thread that held a spark of interest for me.

I think that Hughes was the 2nd best D-Man in the draft and I've said that all along.  If by the end of his ELC he's not the clear #1 D-man on the team and top 10-15 in the league, I'm going to be enormously disappointed.

Don't sleep on Boqvist.  He won't be as good as Dahlin or Hughes, but he should eventually settle into a solid top 4 d-man with a possible #2 ceiling.

I don't know who you have known in your life, but I've never known any normal person who had a 3 inch growth spurt after 18.  Hughes will likely gain another inch and settle in at close to 5' 11".  That's a respectable height especially for a guy who will live and die with his speed.  He started Michigan at 5' 9" and ended the year an inch taller so he'll be fortunate to have one last inch spurt.  I'd even prefer that he "only" tops out at 5' 11" after he's done growing.

As to adding a little extra horsepower to his shot, that will be a given since I have no doubt that he's on a rigorous training schedule so he can gain extra muscle that he'll need in the NHL.

3 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I'm far from rattled.  I've been reading this thread from the first post and only just started to post in it.  I usually have plans every Sunday, but had nothing scheduled through the morning and afternoon and this is the only thread that held a spark of interest for me.

I think that Hughes was the 2nd best D-Man in the draft and I've said that all along.  If by the end of his ELC he's not the clear #1 D-man on the team and top 10-15 in the league, I'm going to be enormously disappointed.

Don't sleep on Boqvist.  He won't be as good as Dahlin or Hughes, but he should eventually settle into a solid top 4 d-man with a possible #2 ceiling.

I don't know who you have known in your life, but I've never known any normal person who had a 3 inch growth spurt after 18.  Hughes will likely gain another inch and settle in at close to 5' 11".  That's a respectable height especially for a guy who will live and die with his speed.  He started Michigan at 5' 9" and ended the year an inch taller so he'll be fortunate to have one last inch spurt.  I'd even prefer that he "only" tops out at 5' 11" after he's done growing.

As to adding a little extra horsepower to his shot, that will be a given since I have no doubt that he's on a rigorous training schedule so he can gain extra muscle that he'll need in the NHL.

Sabres,

By getting ‘rattled’ i am puning on your name... a joke to lighten the tone... lol? ;) 

BTW Chris Tanev grew a lot more than 3 inches... wasn’t he 5’9 and like 159lbs in his draft year?  

Edited by Eastcoast meets Westcoast

13 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Been to England.  They have ‘orrible grammar and are all too proud to abuse their language. ‘Too bloody right!’  

We hosted a English private school rugby team in Campbell River when I was 15.  One guy went up to the counter at the Mc D’s and asked for a ‘packet of fags’. (Pack of Cigarettes) He almost got lynched by some good old boys. Language does matter. 

My wife went to a semester abroad in England and got there in a cold rainy miserable January.   It took her a month to realize that when someone said ‘ya al’right’ they were saying hello, not showing concern about your health. 

The english language has been under ‘assult’ long before this latest generation and will survive. Let it go and chill out. Hockey will start again soon. 

Like I said, I usually do, but I have limits.  A couple of years ago a few Buffalo schools tried to become all progressive and stopped teaching cursive writing.  I ranted and raved about the idiocy of that with people I knew and we all said that it wasn't going to last.  Understanding how to read and write cursive is part of becoming literate.  They've started teaching it again and now have to teach remedial classes to the students that they never initially taught.

I'm not so old that I naturally feel the need to just bash the generation that followed mine.  Quite the contrary, it bothers me that my generation and the preceding one have seemingly failed to prepare Millennials properly.  We coddled and basically wimpified the largest generation since the baby boomers.

32 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Sabres,

By getting ‘rattled’ i am puning on your name... a joke to lighten the tone... lol? ;) 

BTW Chris Tanev grew a lot more than 3 inches... wasn’t he 5’9 and like 159lbs in his draft year?  

That's a terrible pun!  :lol:

Good question on Tanev.  I honestly can't say I remember.  I'd have to Google that. 

I've only known one person in my life who grew a few inches after he turned 18.  It destroyed his ligaments especially in his knees and made him unable to hold a job.  To be fair though, I went to jr. and sr. high school with him and it wasn't just those 4 inches that did him in.  That was just the coup de grace.  From 16-18, he had grown at least 18 inches.  He was often in a lot of pain.

Edited by SabreFan1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

Or you could actually pretend you have a clue and go to a website that had his combine measurement right on the day that he was measured.  There are a bunch of them.   Like I said in my post, he came in at just a tad under 6' 3".

https://thehockeywriters.com/rasmus-dahlin-6-things-we-learned

Are you just willfully ignorant or were you hoping that I somehow forgot how to read and had the memory of a goldfish?

So tell me what are you ??? Ignorant.. OMG shade under 6'3 big deal right???

Whole point was a few draft guys said it would of been a close decision on Hughes or Dahlin going first overall if Hughes was same size????????????????????? Meaning there skill set was very equal..

Both guys are going to have fantastic careers along with the other top 5 D men in 2018 Draft..

Dahlin - Hughes, Bouchard - Dobson - Boqvist...

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

So tell me what are you ??? Ignorant.. OMG shade under 6'3 big deal right???

Whole point was a few draft guys said it would of been a close decision on Hughes or Dahlin going first overall if Hughes was same size????????????????????? Meaning there skill set was very equal..

Both guys are going to have fantastic careers along with the other top 5 D men in 2018 Draft..

Dahlin - Hughes, Bouchard - Dobson - Boqvist...

Either you can't admit when you're wrong or English really is your second language.  By the way you present yourself in your writing, I can already tell that you're quite young and immature.  It makes you stick out like a sore thumb.

I'd try to respond to the body of your post, but it's tough to tell what you're trying to even say.  The best I could tell is that you think that Dahlins and Hughes' skills are equal.  If that were the case, he would have been taken 2nd or 3rd in the draft.  Being 5' 10" wouldn't have stopped a team from drafting him Top 3 if he had that kind of skill.

4 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Either you can't admit when you're wrong or English really is your second language.  By the way you present yourself in your writing, I can already tell that you're quite young and immature.  It makes you stick out like a sore thumb.

what gave it away???????????????????

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

True, I wasn’t a supporter of Hughes, but he is our guy and post draft I looked a lot more closely at his tape. 

My pick was the last guy taken out of the top 10 ranked d

men. He went 12th so what do I know. 

I have also felt the knocks on Hughes was his shot, still think it’s not where it needs to be and whether he can play defence in the NHL. 

I am a lot more comfortable with the play without the puck than I was. Added to that, JB had his choice of every d man not named Dahlin so there can be little question, JB got his guy at 7.  After last draft, you can’t ignore that.  They were taking a d man. They got their guy. 

I have said said that when knowledgeable people speak I listen. JB spoke and I learned something.

EmW

I understand taking the professional's opinion over yours, but then it begs the question; why even have an opinion in the first place if you're not going to defend it and it's just going to be overridden by someone else?

I remember you were high on Bouchard for much of the year and I liked him a lot too. How can I take you're opinion seriously for the 2019 draft if you don't even agree with yourself?

I'm not saying you're not allowed to change you're opinion on something, but literally the only difference between these prospects now is we know who got drafted where and by who. Pettersson changed my mind after a year of pro hockey. I haven't seen enough in my opinion to change my mind on Keller/Sergachev vs. Juolevi. Hughes hasn't done anything new that would cause a change in opinion like that. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I understand taking the professional's opinion over yours, but then it begs the question; why even have an opinion in the first place if you're not going to defend it and it's just going to be overridden by someone else?

I remember you were high on Bouchard for much of the year and I liked him a lot too. How can I take you're opinion seriously for the 2019 draft if you don't even agree with yourself?

I'm not saying you're not allowed to change you're opinion on something, but literally the only difference between these prospects now is we know who got drafted where and by who. Pettersson changed my mind after a year of pro hockey. I haven't seen enough in my opinion to change my mind on Keller/Sergachev vs. Juolevi. Hughes hasn't done anything new that would cause a change in opinion like that. 

Slow down there bud.  This isn’t life or death and that I am have stated more than once that whomever JB picks is fine by me. 

For reference the thing that that mattered most to me as a nucks fan actually happened at this draft for the 7 spot. JB got to make his choice, it was a d man and JB got his guy. 

No doubt about it, JB was on top of the world with Hughes, that means more to me than anyone’s amature opinion, even mine, on this board. 

I like Bouchard and think Edmonton got a great pick and a player need, a bit conflicted about him now.  Support him or kinda hope Edmonton messes up cause I don’t want him feeding McDavid breakout passes against us. 

Final point, I don’t care if anyone takes me serriously. I can appreciate other opinions and when more knowledgeable speak I listen. 

21 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Sabres,

Dont get rattled by a thread in the dead of summer lol. I do agree that size matters... but disagree with the Bomqvist idea. The reason Hughes is getting hyped IMO is his selection to the USA men’s WC team. He held his own playing with all stars, nhl all stars. Added to that he played a year of NCAA and did well in a top development league.  Bomqvist has played well in a lower league and couldn’t crack even his WJ team this year. Realistically it should be equally hard to crack the Us or Swedish WJ teams.  So Quinn does compete with Dahlin in terms of successes in his draft year but I am absolutely sure that no one drafts Hughes over Dahlin. 

His skating and IQ are up there with Dahlins,  maybe even better, but who knows, but Dahlin is the total package.  Unless Hughes grows 3 inches which is possible and adds a lot of HP to his shot I don’t think this will change anytime soon. 

This isn't a personal attack on you, so please don't take it like that. I don't know if you do this on purpose, but it's Boqvist, not Bomqvist. It's annoying that you haven't gotten that figured out. Not trying to be a grammar police as I love to half ass punctuation too, but you've been told many times to correctly name players and it's quite annoying when you choose to ignore that. Otherwise, I agree with your post.

23 minutes ago, Odd. said:

This isn't a personal attack on you, so please don't take it like that. I don't know if you do this on purpose, but it's Boqvist, not Bomqvist. It's annoying that you haven't gotten that figured out. Not trying to be a grammar police as I love to half ass punctuation too, but you've been told many times to correctly name players and it's quite annoying when you choose to ignore that. Otherwise, I agree with your post.

As someone who misspelled Virtanen a while ago I find if I can't spell the name I just use initials.  :)

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

I'd try to respond to the body of your post, but it's tough to tell what you're trying to even say.  The best I could tell is that you think that Dahlins and Hughes' skills are equal.  If that were the case, he would have been taken 2nd or 3rd in the draft.  Being 5' 10" wouldn't have stopped a team from drafting him Top 3 if he had that kind of skill.

Your a real smart dude? You just know everything..

Your right in your own mind..lol..lol You should be a scout...lol..lol..lol

You don't make sense?? 

Every team has different needs??  Say no more, look at the source I am wasting my time with...

Keep up the good work smart guy...

5 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Your a real smart dude? You just know everything..

Your right in your own mind..lol..lol You should be a scout...lol..lol..lol

You don't make sense?? 

Every team has different needs??  Say no more, look at the source I am wasting my time with...

Keep up the good work smart guy...

Cute, barely discernible rant you made there.  You get picked on and beat up in school a lot don't you?