The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Beware 2 Rulebooks

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

4 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Sure hope Stecher's okay.

Another highway side-swipe unpunished?..Manning's a dirty punk.

Looked like an accidental collision to me. I'd have to see it again from more than one angle to be sure.

Great that Vancouver got the win against Chicago (and other clubs) but at this rate we are going to be down to Utica's roster by the time Christmas rolls around.

Are other teams losing 3-4 regular roster players a month?  Obviously the question is a bit dramatic but this is getting ridiculous over the last few years.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

Looked like an accidental collision to me. I'd have to see it again from more than one angle to be sure.

You may be right, B..the guys on the radio(post-game) said it seemed an accidental car crash. Hard to see these things on my lil' pc screen.

I jumped on this opportunity to refresh my conspiratorial(2 rulebooks!) thread..as I hope it'll trickle consistently,  then burst into a WATERGATE!-level Intl fiasco..just playing my part in pursuit of fame, $ & perhaps a Nobel? :^)

Anywhoo..always seems our boys on the receiving end of these fender-benders...

Just started watching the Canucks game this morning (will likely finish tonight as I'll be going to work) but what do I hear? The Canucks 2 for 17 in their last 8 games... The opposition has taken only 17 penalties in our last 8 games? Suck my balls NHL. What a joke. Right after Roussell's high sticking penalty he gets tripped by Seabrook (slew foot) not called. At least one of the refs finally called a penalty on Seabrook a bit later for the interference... What a joke.

• Cheers 1

On 10/4/2018 at 6:50 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

I've seen the league do this to us before. We build a tougher roster, then they start calling everything. That Torts yr, was the most blatant reff-cheating & rigging that I've ever witnessed in the game. Just disgraceful. Weren't they giving us SEVEN MINUTE 2 man-disadvantages???

Around Dec/Jan 2014, we'd assembled some nice size/grit in our depth: Lain, Arch, Sestito, Alberts. Look what happened soon afterwards. Then after our toughness was injured/rendered toothless, Hanzal ran around taking out all our centers. Wouldn't surprise me if the league allowed him a sherwood with F***ing rebar inside! No wonder Torts soon lost it. Even the wh*re-media was getting digs in, whining about Sestito, when I'd never heard them ever complain about any enforcer playing in the 'privileged' US markets.

& if we had a soft team..guess what? Whistles get tossed. Opponents realizing this, start to run our guys over. It's bloody dangerous, & injuries can easily result. Plays like Kadri on Daniel, if you lack a nuclear-deterent.

Even DPS sends mixed-messages with unfathomably inconsistent rulings. I won't go down THIS jungle path..too long, but certainly part of this fiasco.

*************************************************************************************************************************

How do you beat 2 rulebooks?

I'd made a thread coupla' yrs back(Lacking Team-Toughness) that took off to 30,40 pages, where we all mostly agreed we needed more. So of course I'm really glad JB addressed this deficiency. But I'll add, I think our tough guys need to be INSANEly-disciplined in how they play. The goalposts will likely sway like branches in a typhoon.

Keep an eye on this inconsistency, folks. The first game is an ominous indicator.

U Bettman....I think if we keep up this rant...Bettman will have to back off the ref's...I think he might be already given the really poor showing by them the couple games before the Hawks....

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

You may be right, B..the guys on the radio(post-game) said it seemed an accidental car crash. Hard to see these things on my lil' pc screen.

I jumped on this opportunity to refresh my conspiratorial(2 rulebooks!) thread..as I hope it'll trickle consistently,  then burst into a WATERGATE!-level Intl fiasco..just playing my part in pursuit of fame, $ & perhaps a Nobel? :^)

Anywhoo..always seems our boys on the receiving end of these fender-benders...

After seeing it a couple of times now it did appear to be accidental contact. Manning even tried to hold up when he saw Stech. In trying avoid Stech up he straightened up, and Stech not being particularly tall, really caught it in the head. I really don't think it was intentional at all after seeing it from a couple of angles.

• Thanks 1

On 11/1/2018 at 9:15 AM, Psycho_Path said:

Just started watching the Canucks game this morning (will likely finish tonight as I'll be going to work) but what do I hear? The Canucks 2 for 17 in their last 8 games... The opposition has taken only 17 penalties in our last 8 games? Suck my balls NHL. What a joke. Right after Roussell's high sticking penalty he gets tripped by Seabrook (slew foot) not called. At least one of the refs finally called a penalty on Seabrook a bit later for the interference... What a joke.

Finally looked, and in those same games the opposition has had 27 powerplays (mind you, we had 18 and not 17 as indicated in the broadcast). Now that's not a measure of impartial reffing (penalties called vs infractions actually done is), but it sure highlights the issue. What a joke.

Edited by Psycho_Path

30 minutes ago, Psycho_Path said:

Finally looked, and in those same games the opposition has had 27 powerplays (mind you, we had 18 and not 17 as indicated in the broadcast). Now that's not a measure of impartial reffing (penalties called vs infractions actually done is), but it sure highlights the issue. What a joke.

One thing I've noticed through the games is the number of high sticking penalties we've had. There'll be the odd mistake their but it's one of the few that the refs don't let go uncalled. To a slightly lesser degree slashing doesn't typically get a pass either. We havve gotten away with some of the other calls though. But we really do seem to be having an issue with high sticks game after game. And of course those can easily wind up double minors as opposed to other calls.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Another example as the NYI player gets to hackey sack a frackin puck into the net!..yawwwn.(what else is new?)

Did it really look like a "distinct" kicking motion to you? To me it just looking like he turned his skate and it went in off his heal. As I said in the other threads, the problem with these calls are they are really a matter of opinion as opposed to something as black and white as a puck crossing a line. Is it the same guy making that call in TO for every game every night? Probably not. Meaning opinions will vary and the calls will too as a result. Imo they should take using your skate to score out of the game completely. There's a reason there's a stick in their hands after all.

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

Did it really look like a "distinct" kicking motion to you? To me it just looking like he turned his skate and it went in off his heal. As I said in the other threads, the problem with these calls are they are really a matter of opinion as opposed to something as black and white as a puck crossing a line. Is it the same guy making that call in TO for every game every night? Probably not. Meaning opinions will vary and the calls will too as a result. Imo they should take using your skate to score out of the game completely. There's a reason there's a stick in their hands after all.

Well, I'm no lawyer to debate these things..I'd say it looked like a distinct dribbling move I saw by Diego Maradona, one game back in 1983.

The whole thing seems hopeless(NHL in general), anyhow. Not sure exactly where the trubs started, but it feels increasingly more biz than sport. I've long felt they've prioritized the US markets over the Cdn ones, & have been quite sneaky in doing so. This has gradually evolved over seasons/decades.

Then say(for sake of discussion) it's true, the NHL PTB have basically kept the Cup in the States. Who would dare complain? It's such a $ gravy train for so many people(not only players & owners), no one will ever upset the apple cart.(sorry to digress back to some of the original post-laments)..in truth, didn't really care about today's call that much, either way.

In sum, when goals go in like that first one today(WTG Marky!), everything else gets rendered more moot than Motte!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Well, I'm no lawyer to debate these things..I'd say it looked like a distinct dribbling move I saw by Diego Maradona, one game back in 1983.

The whole thing seems hopeless(NHL in general), anyhow. Not sure exactly where the trubs started, but it feels increasingly more biz than sport. I've long felt they've prioritized the US markets over the Cdn ones, & have been quite sneaky in doing so. This has gradually evolved over seasons/decades.

Then say(for sake of discussion) it's true, the NHL PTB have basically kept the Cup in the States. Who would dare complain? It's such a $ gravy train for so many people(not only players & owners), no one will ever upset the apple cart.(sorry to digress back to some of the original post-laments)..in truth, didn't really care about today's call that much, either way.

In sum, when goals go in like that first one today(WTG Marky!), everything else gets rendered more moot than Motte!

Since the Habs won how many Canadian teams have been a legitimate contender and for how long each time? Answer that and you answer the cup conspiracy question. Once past that Habs win US teams simply bought their cups until the cap came in. Since the cap how many Canadian teams have been a legitimate contender? One. We were in the contender class for what 3 years? Compare that to Chicago and Pittsburgh being in that class for a decade or more. The longer you're a contender the greater chance of actually winning. Even then the both had their first round exits. Being a contender guarantees nothing. Being a contender for a lengthy period certainly increases your odds significantly. The Wings were a contender for 12 years and won 3 times. The Av's for a decade and won 2 times. Strange coincidence, they had two of the highest payrolls in the NHL. When Dallas won their cup they were among the highest payrolls in the west as well. Conspiracy or owners willing to buy a cup?

At one point the Rangers had the highest payroll in the league and failed to make the playoffs. Maybe the league just had in for them because they won in '94. A conspiracy I tell ya!

You keep going on about Canadian teams not winning the cup while ignoring the lack of quality Canadian teams during that time. You're just ignoring the obvious for your own hoopla. Ultimately I'm just not buying what you're selling here.

7 hours ago, Baggins said:

Since the Habs won how many Canadian teams have been a legitimate contender and for how long each time? Answer that and you answer the cup conspiracy question. Once past that Habs win US teams simply bought their cups until the cap came in. Since the cap how many Canadian teams have been a legitimate contender? One. We were in the contender class for what 3 years? Compare that to Chicago and Pittsburgh being in that class for a decade or more. The longer you're a contender the greater chance of actually winning. Even then the both had their first round exits. Being a contender guarantees nothing. Being a contender for a lengthy period certainly increases your odds significantly. The Wings were a contender for 12 years and won 3 times. The Av's for a decade and won 2 times. Strange coincidence, they had two of the highest payrolls in the NHL. When Dallas won their cup they were among the highest payrolls in the west as well. Conspiracy or owners willing to buy a cup?

At one point the Rangers had the highest payroll in the league and failed to make the playoffs. Maybe the league just had in for them because they won in '94. A conspiracy I tell ya!

You keep going on about Canadian teams not winning the cup while ignoring the lack of quality Canadian teams during that time. You're just ignoring the obvious for your own hoopla. Ultimately I'm just not buying what you're selling here.

It's all entitled pov's..too lazy to type out a 2 or 3 para summary, overview of the Cdn teams past Q century. I've been away(as well), so likely haven't followed the day to day minutiae, that some fans have surely taken in. Also, some ar*ehole will next post them tinfoil pics, when you take time to state some points.

Nahh man..there are too many significant, urgent issues in the world to spend this much time analyzing a pro sport. In this world today, almost anything that involves billions of $ is likely rigged. Comes down to power, influence, bread & circuses, & unfortunate dishonest/manipulative human tendencies. Some present day cultures have turned this machiavellian crap into an art form.

But just with this thread, I'm glad if there's a few thousand views, & even one more person takes time to ponder this game's integrity. Ultimately when sport/competition loses the 'level playing field', it's eventually become pointless. In light of this fact, I've been quite strict in limiting the time(& almost ZERO $) I'll sacrifice following any pro sport(NHL is the only one I've watched, about past 3 decades).

I've spent a decent chunk of time doing sport(as there are so many benefits), namely marathons & long triathlons(ice hockey until early 20's)..but would never wanna watch something so bloody boring as a race! Due to a stubborn nature, if I don't trust something, then out of principle, hate to give it a freeken dime! But if one believes in something(GCG!), you get committed to the cause(or at least find it hard to give up completely).

Edited by Nuxfanabroad
grammar, spellin

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 5:47 AM, Nuxfanabroad said:

It's all entitled pov's..too lazy to type out a 2 or 3 para summary, overview of the Cdn teams past Q century. I've been away(as well), so likely haven't followed the day to day minutiae, that some fans have surely taken in. Also, some ar*ehole will next post them tinfoil pics, when you take time to state some points.

Nahh man..there are too many significant, urgent issues in the world to spend this much time analyzing a pro sport. In this world today, almost anything that involves billions of $ is likely rigged. Comes down to power, influence, bread & circuses, & unfortunate dishonest/manipulative human tendencies. Some present day cultures have turned this machiavellian crap into an art form.

But just with this thread, I'm glad if there's a few thousand views, & even one more person takes time to ponder this game's integrity. Ultimately when sport/competition loses the 'level playing field', it's eventually become pointless. In light of this fact, I've been quite strict in limiting the time(& almost ZERO $) I'll sacrifice following any pro sport(NHL is the only one I've watched, about past 3 decades).

I've spent a decent chunk of time doing sport(as there are so many benefits), namely marathons & long triathlons(ice hockey until early 20's)..but would never wanna watch something so bloody boring as a race! Due to a stubborn nature, if I don't trust something, then out of principle, hate to give it a freeken dime! But if one believes in something(GCG!), you get committed to the cause(or at least find it hard to give up completely).

Oddly enough if it was fixed the signing of the betting thing will straighten it out. No betting contractor will tolerate fixing. They are even starting to use more replays to get the calls right, starting only in some games this year, Barclay's would not have had this added technology.

BTW it is in writing Bettman declared Toronto "Canada's team" in 2011.

Was it fixed? Well, all the added US franchises. All the cups/runs to US teams that sprang out of the woodwork oddly enough teams that were almost bankrupt until the Arizona case, Buffalo, Carolina, Florida, Tampa, there are plenty of teams that were surprises. I have heard more than one source state the best thing that happened to the NHL was Vancouver not winning in 93/94.

Edited by TheGuardian_

On ‎2018‎-‎11‎-‎13 at 11:17 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Another example as the NYI player gets to hackey sack a frackin puck into the net!..yawwwn.(what else is new?)

To me, it sure did look like a kicking motion.  Do I sense a conspiracy?  No, more like inconsistency.  Not sure why you argue this as part of a 2 rulebook thread. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...