The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Riots of 2011

Drejka

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

People have stated that they heard people on the skytrain, etc. "planning" this on their way to Vancouver, before the puck had dropped.  

This wasn't people "losing it"....sure, some may have joined in but most I know who were down there for the game were horrified.  Don't lump "fans" into this...people disguised as fans.  People who care about their team generally also tend to love their city.

Idiots will idiot and this was just a platform for them, that's all.  Likely alcohol fueled, some may have participated who were there for the game but aren't they the same clowns who fight in the stands and get tossed?  I think they're more fans of getting wasted and causing trouble than anything.

Go to Google images and search "Vancouver Riot 2011" and let me know how many people participating are decked out in Canucks gear. 

51 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Go to Google images and search "Vancouver Riot 2011" and let me know how many people participating are decked out in Canucks gear. 

I can see what Deb is trying to say from one perspective. If you are truly a Canucks fan then why would you want to trash the city the franchise is based in. It's one of things that should disqualify you as a fan.

In reality though nothing really disqualifies you as a fan. Sports fans don't tend to be the brightest bunch (as a whole). That combined with alcohol leads to some questionable decision making that winds up in the headlines occasionally. We let our morons run amok and it became an incident for everyone to remember.

I was near the screen close to the Canada Post building, but off to the side where the library is. Even though we were getting blown out, I thought about staying to the end because maybe a miracle might happen and I didn't want to miss it. But about under 3 minutes left in the game, I could feel some tension building amongst the crowd that were directly in front of the screen and beyond. So I told my wife that we should just leave now, but she had to use the bathroom first. She messaged me that they weren't letting people back in through the library, so I'm not sure if it was crowd control or if something was happening already. I eventually found my way to her and we just started heading to the skytrain. On our way there, we saw a few people knocking over the newspaper stands, but didn't think much of it other than just some drunks upset about the loss. When we got to Stadium Station, we found out that it was closed. We unexpectedly found one of my wife's cousins there (luckily for him as he didn't know his way around the area) and I told him that we could just walk to the next station (Main) which isn't too far away. As we went, we looked back and saw a big black plume of smoke and were glad that we got out of there when we did. I didn't know there was a car that was set on fire at the Canada Post building where we were nearby until we got home and saw it on TV.

I definitely felt the negative tension and people could have easily left the area early enough before sh*t hit the fan. I don't really feel any pity towards those who were "caught up in the moment" as it seemed avoidable to me.

Archived