The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Oilers fire head coach Todd McLellan; Ken Hitchcock named new head coach

On 11/20/2018 at 9:57 PM, Doesntmakesense said:

Not sure why people are so low on Edmonton as an organization. They have an incredible team and no doubt will make the playoffs this year.

Bob Mackenzie from TSN already said its almost impossible for them to miss the playoffs this season so Hitch is essetially getting a free chance to fight in the play offs in my opinion.

A post worthy of the name.

Accountability under this man will be brutally obvious to anyone watching. 

You will notice a much different transition game and space between the forwards and D during the breakout. With their blend of size, speed and skill, this subtle change will be a success on its own. 

Hitch will be good for the heavy players and GAA should immediately improve. Guys like Nurse will shine back there. I’m curious what this means for Pool Party, a guy the Canucks must be hoping to snag in trade. (Hutton and Goldy remain my top two Canucks trade-bait candidates)

The coilers are a sleeping giant. They’ve been misfiring for too long and we’ve benefited, but things might change, must change. They’ve paid their dues as players and are due for the rebound, IMO. 

This was the last thing I wanted for that city and team. If they get on a roll, Cowgary will respond too, like it’s always been, and our chances will improve to draft the other Hughes brother. Silver linings. 

On 11/23/2018 at 5:31 PM, 189lb enforcers? said:

You will notice a much different transition game and space between the forwards and D during the breakout. With their blend of size, speed and skill, this subtle change will be a success on its own. 

Hitch will be good for the heavy players and GAA should immediately improve. Guys like Nurse will shine back there. I’m curious what this means for Pool Party, a guy the Canucks must be hoping to snag in trade. (Hutton and Goldy remain my top two Canucks trade-bait candidates)

The coilers are a sleeping giant. They’ve been misfiring for too long and we’ve benefited, but things might change, must change. They’ve paid their dues as players and are due for the rebound, IMO. 

This was the last thing I wanted for that city and team. If they get on a roll, Cowgary will respond too, like it’s always been, and our chances will improve to draft the other Hughes brother. Silver linings. 

Hitch has asked Chiarelli to recall Puljujarvi: 

From the Edmonton Journal:

“I’ve had a lot of success, quite frankly, taking players like Jesse and having quick turns. And probably some days he’s going to get tired of my voice because it’s going to be during practice like it was today, and he caught himself, and away he goes. But when you see something that good and that much, as a coach you want to take responsibility for the growth of the player. You don’t want to sit there and watch him play in the American Hockey League and think, ‘Ah, he’s going to score a few goals and that’s going to fix everything. Or he’s going to do this.’ There’s elements of is game, it doesn’t matter what league he’s playing in, have to get better and I want that responsibility because the top end is awful, awful high and I want to work with that.”

20 hours ago, mll said:

Hitch has asked Chiarelli to recall Puljujarvi: 

From the Edmonton Journal:

“I’ve had a lot of success, quite frankly, taking players like Jesse and having quick turns. And probably some days he’s going to get tired of my voice because it’s going to be during practice like it was today, and he caught himself, and away he goes. But when you see something that good and that much, as a coach you want to take responsibility for the growth of the player. You don’t want to sit there and watch him play in the American Hockey League and think, ‘Ah, he’s going to score a few goals and that’s going to fix everything. Or he’s going to do this.’ There’s elements of is game, it doesn’t matter what league he’s playing in, have to get better and I want that responsibility because the top end is awful, awful high and I want to work with that.”

Is pool party like piarvi?  Wasted pick by the coil.  They should trade Draisatl for an actual D man.  

Hitch is not that bad a coach, they could've done worse. 

Pretty sure Quenville turned them down flat. When you're the cream of the crop of coaching candidates, you can afford to turn someone down and still reasonably expect to get more offers. 

On 11/23/2018 at 8:31 AM, 189lb enforcers? said:

https://www.tsn.ca/video/statscentre-the-hitch-effect~1559227

Like I said...? 

Good for Hitch. 

Archived