The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Oilers fire head coach Todd McLellan; Ken Hitchcock named new head coach

38 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Man, this Edmonton soap opera keeps getting better and better. Watch them pick higher than us though, I'll be surprised if they don't.

Watch Chia Pet trade their 2019 first for help now.  The guy must be in serious “save my job” mode.  Can you say Tanev for their first?  

Hitchcock grinds the crap out of them and squeezes them into the playoffs. Chiarelli mortgages more of the future to try and shore up the team to help the playoff run.  They lose in the first round and end up picking in the latter half of the first round 2019.  Hitchcock and Chiarelli are both gone next year and the Oilers flounder for years.  My only fear is they actually land Quenneville as coach.

53 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

chiapet has less power then linden had at the end

and is on a very short leash as well

he cannot freely trade but must have all his trades supervised and approved

he likely was permitted to fire his coach but only allowed to hire a new coach for the balance of the season

on a very modest contract

he basically is being told you made this team so make it work

or he is done at year's end

new gm who can then hire his own coach

bye bye chiapet

doubt he'll gm again at the nhl level

what an utter disaster he was

makes me wonder who was making the important and good decisions in boston

when he was there

jim benning duh

1 minute ago, Borvat said:

Hitchcock grinds the crap out of them and squeezes them into the playoffs. Chiarelli mortgages more of the future to try and shore up the team to help the playoff run.  They lose in the first round and end up picking in the latter half of the first round 2019.  Hitchcock and Chiarelli are both gone next year and the Oilers flounder for years.  My only fear is they actually land Quenneville as coach.

he wont go to that dumpster fire. but i can totally see chiapet give up picks to shore them up for a first round knockout.  hitch knows how to grind the most out of players

3 minutes ago, burrardstreetbullies said:

he wont go to that dumpster fire. but i can totally see chiapet give up picks to shore them up for a first round knockout.  hitch knows how to grind the most out of players

Depends on the GM post Chairelli.  McDavid is the wild card.

Not sure why people are so low on Edmonton as an organization. They have an incredible team and no doubt will make the playoffs this year.

Bob Mackenzie from TSN already said its almost impossible for them to miss the playoffs this season so Hitch is essetially getting a free chance to fight in the play offs in my opinion.

Please see article here 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/if-edmonton-oilers-again-fail-to-make-playoffs-it-is-a-crime-against-hockey-humanity-says-tsns-bob-mckenzie/amp

Anyone who thinks they know more than Bob needs to give their head a shake. Obviously Edmonton is making the playoffs how can they not?

They rather close shop then to admit emberassment esp after being called out by TSN.

Think about that.

11 minutes ago, Doesntmakesense said:

Not sure why people are so low on Edmonton as an organization. They have an incredible team and no doubt will make the playoffs this year.

Bob Mackenzie from TSN already said its almost impossible for them to miss the playoffs this season so Hitch is essetially getting a free chance to fight in the play offs in my opinion.

Because they trade players away for less than value and outside McDavid haven't been stellar in their 1st overall picks.  They also lack serious depth beyond their current roster. 

They should make the playoffs.  They just haven't amassed the depth and supporting cast they should have - outside Draisatl and McDavid.

36 minutes ago, Doesntmakesense said:

The Pacific is awful this year. A three game win streak and you could be in playoff position. Three teams from the Pacific get in and so far none of them are very good. Not a stretch to get them back in the playoff hunt.

39 minutes ago, Doesntmakesense said:

Please see article here 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/if-edmonton-oilers-again-fail-to-make-playoffs-it-is-a-crime-against-hockey-humanity-says-tsns-bob-mckenzie/amp

Anyone who thinks they know more than Bob needs to give their head a shake. Obviously Edmonton is making the playoffs how can they not?

They rather close shop then to admit emberassment esp after being called out by TSN.

Think about that.

Talented group but when you have bad goaltending, poor secondary scoring, and a locker room cancer in Lucic to go along with absolutely no positive veteran leadership, it's going to be a tough go of it.

56 minutes ago, Doesntmakesense said:

Because some of us have seen this movie before. 

Maybe you need to look at the way back machine? 

Back in 1984 1st overall Pittsburgh drafted Mario Lemieux. 

The first 4 seasons Pittsburgh missed the playoffs.

88-89 Second Round

89-90, Did not qualify

It wasn't until 1991 that Pittsburgh had the depth and won the first of it's back to back Stanley Cups. 

Gretzky couldn't alone wasn't enough for LA to win a cup. 

McDavid is no Gretzky or Lemieux. But might be as close as we get in this generation. 

31 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Talented group but when you have bad goaltending, poor secondary scoring, and a locker room cancer in Lucic to go along with absolutely no positive veteran leadership, it's going to be a tough go of it.

is there any news or proof of lucic being a locker room cancer?, not a big fan of him but i havent heard anything about it.

1 hour ago, burrardstreetbullies said:

he won't be allowed

all trades need to be cleared with bob nicholson

chiapet's hands are somewhat tied presently

he cannot ruin the oilers any further without cooperation from others :P

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Watch Chia Pet trade their 2019 first for help now.  The guy must be in serious “save my job” mode.  Can you say Tanev for their first?  

Only if the Canucks slip far outta the playoff race, I don't see the Canucks trading him otherwise

I don't even know what to think of the Oilers anymore. They keep squandering all their young talent with awful trades and signings and never address the main issue that they cannot rely on one player to carry you to the playoffs. It takes a great team all around.

Chia is just looking for a scapegoat at this point to save his own ass. I respect Hitch, but his style of coaching is a bit outdated and doesn't suit the Oilers at all. I feel especially bad for McDavid. The guy is unreal and has been arguably the best player in the NHL the past few years, but the team around him as well as the  management are useless. Changing to Hitch's defensive style will not bode well for him. 

Archived