The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Screw the draft party... playoffs baby!!!

1 hour ago, Phat Fingers said:

The third way is trades.  

We get two of the following three options.  

Good

Fast

Cheap 

If it's good and fast it won't cheap...

If its fast and cheap it wont be good...

and if it's good and cheap it wont be fast.

I think JB has played a decent good a cheap route to team building.  IMO his drafting is a talent that is truly showing it's worth, like say Tampa's and that allows him to look to other avenues to maybe find those last key pieces.  

The only way I would say we not look to add a d man like Paryako is if JB has indications that Trymakin is wanting g to come back as early as the end of this season.  

Having both Hughes and Trymakin added to our current roster would be like having two big trades.  

Two free trades at that given it cost us nothing (well ok it cost us draft picks but one of them had low odds of ever playing in the NHL)..

Im all for making a trade, we have some good prospects that other teams have interest in and at this point we’d be exceptionally lucky to draft a Parayko so why not pull the trigger if it’s possible?   Id seriously consider OJ and a second, maybe even this years first if it’s a mid rounder and that’s what it costs.  We simply need a guy like him on the right side, his age is right where we want it too.

22 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Two free trades at that given it cost us nothing (well ok it cost us draft picks but one of them had low odds of ever playing in the NHL)..

Im all for making a trade, we have some good prospects that other teams have interest in and at this point we’d be exceptionally lucky to draft a Parayko so why not pull the trigger if it’s possible?   Id seriously consider OJ and a second, maybe even this years first if it’s a mid rounder and that’s what it costs.  We simply need a guy like him on the right side, his age is right where we want it too.

I agree.  If the opportunity is there to add a guy like him, the only issue is where to stop adding to get him.  

Just now, Phat Fingers said:

I agree.  If the opportunity is there to add a guy like him, the only issue is where to stop adding to get him.  

Is Paryako a great player though?  He’s a 30 Point guy, right?  Hutton is a 30 Point guy.  I’d rather go for ?EK this summer.  

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is Paryako a great player though?  He’s a 30 Point guy, right?  Hutton is a 30 Point guy.  I’d rather go for ?EK this summer.  

Paryako is a different beast than Hutton.  I want JB to avoid big contract cap hits until we have an idea if what EP40 and Hughes are going to cost us.  

I dont think Brock is going to be outrageous.  So getting EK for anywhere near his expected demands of 10m per season or Paryako at 5.... Cap hit is important.  Plus a deep analysis of what type of minutes, zone starts and PP/PK might show where the value to one vs the other could sit.  

Paryako is 253lbs and can do things in the physicality department that EK cannot.  Cap is going to start becoming a concern.  EK also made it very clear when he was traded that he did not want to go to a Canadian team... so it is very unlikely that we would be in the running for him.  

His production in SJ has been underwhelming as well.  

I think that we are getting a little ahead of ourselves, as if we build deep, then we have to give up one of them in the expansion draft, which is why I suggest we slow the train down a little. To me, it is not so much about the past, as the future, and how and when we complete the building of our new core. To me, there is no doubt we will add new pieces to the main club in the next year in Q. Hughes, and Tryamkin is an unknown.

But, IMO, we will not be a top end competitive for another 2 years, and at that point Edler, Tanev, Sutter, Eriksson, Beagle, Rousell will all be another 2 years older. Look around the league and you will notice, just how much it has changed, and how much younger it is. To me, we already have hole that make us not a cup contender, then with the loss of those players, that all contribute in one way of another, we will have additional holes which need replacing.

So, although it might sound a little repetitious about now, a more controlled changing of the guard needs to be in order...…..who are the UFA's this year? Who can we replace with decent replacements that are cap friendly, and who fit our new rebuild. IMO,. it is not so necessary to move Beagle and Rousell right now, as they are playing well, and just recently signed, and everyone knows we can not move Eriksson right now, due to his contract.

This leaves, Edler, Tanev and Sutter, all strong valuable pieces. These are the pieces we should be looking to move, and IMO for non-affected expansion picks, or for very young non-expansion draft prospects, but I would push for picks, and as much as Tanev is talked about, I am not sure I would want to move him yet. Edler, I would, because of the real chance we can re-sign him in the summer, and Sutter because he has already been replaced (not the he would not help).

We currently have the 9th lowest point percentage in the league, which tells me with how good we have been playing, that we have no depth to withstand injuries, and signing extra UFA's is too darn expensive (aka Gagner), so that leaves the draft, and the trading of players you can replace via UFA, that will play, there by gaining long term depth, in the form of prospect, that are ready, when we are ready to ascent with depth, and the ability to withstand the loose of a top 6 forward or a top 4 dman, or even a starting goalie.

So as much as I like Paryako, unless we are trading Tanev for picks, we are premature...….although I like that idea...….

It is just a matter of cost and what Jimbo thinks....a 2020 1st + Juolevi might work? Maybe a lesser 2nd piece Brisebois, Maybe another piece? Not sure, but the key is not to accumulate too many pieces that will be expansion draft eligible, so that our numbers fit properly at that time.

Moving Tanev, Sutter and Edler makes franchise sense over the long term....again, if replaceable, with short term UFA's that fit and are Expansion draft eligible. 

Hey...it is Christmas....don't hate me!

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

Moving Tanev, Sutter and Edler makes franchise sense over the long term....again, if replaceable, with short term UFA's that fit and are Expansion draft eligible. 

Hey...it is Christmas....don't hate me!

Merry Ho Ho.

This a fantasy forum so no one should be upset. You are taking a reasonable time line expectation and circumstances many of these fantasy forum posters do not, things like cap hit, odds on prospects actually making the team let alone being superior players to most others in the NHL, expansion draft as well. IMO the one that really gets missed is the CBA year and the changes that will come to the draft process, some top US markets are now in decline so Bettman will want them to get top picks quickly to rebuild faster so the idea of all non playoff teams having a shot will be probably eliminated for a more sensible system, maybe like McDavid's draft year, only the top 3 get a shot, how they determine the top three to make tanking more irrelevant will be the big change.

And what would missing that year do to contracts and counted experience for the expansion draft, would it add a year to all players? That missed year might/would handcuff GM's from making trades and give Seattle a big boost in getting young good players.

Merely making the playoffs is easy, half the teams do, this team's last three appearances they have 3 wins and 12 losses, was that a good thing? This team only needs Anaheim to go the expected way and then they are one team away from the playoffs without improving at all.

BTW this team is only one point better than last year at 39 games it is just 3 other teams are much worse so up in the standings, no better but moving up because other teams are much worse than in previous years and if you take that in context, playing those teams that are much worse has inflated the points and GF so the team may actually not be as good as last year.

16 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Merry Ho Ho.

This a fantasy forum so no one should be upset. You are taking a reasonable time line expectation and circumstances many of these fantasy forum posters do not, things like cap hit, odds on prospects actually making the team let alone being superior players to most others in the NHL, expansion draft as well. IMO the one that really gets missed is the CBA year and the changes that will come to the draft process, some top US markets are now in decline so Bettman will want them to get top picks quickly to rebuild faster so the idea of all non playoff teams having a shot will be probably eliminated for a more sensible system, maybe like McDavid's draft year, only the top 3 get a shot, how they determine the top three to make tanking more irrelevant will be the big change.

And what would missing that year do to contracts and counted experience for the expansion draft, would it add a year to all players? That missed year might/would handcuff GM's from making trades and give Seattle a big boost in getting young good players.

Merely making the playoffs is easy, half the teams do, this team's last three appearances they have 3 wins and 12 losses, was that a good thing? This team only needs Anaheim to go the expected way and then they are one team away from the playoffs without improving at all.

BTW this team is only one point better than last year at 39 games it is just 3 other teams are much worse so up in the standings, no better but moving up because other teams are much worse than in previous years and if you take that in context, playing those teams that are much worse has inflated the points and GF so the team may actually not be as good as last year.

We tend on being in agreement with pretty much up until the last paragraph…...I think we are much stronger than last year in general, and as we were declining last year, I see us having pretty much bottomed out, and on a slow ascend. I can see us being much better next year, and this is probably why I am so apprehensive this year, as we still need a few toys so to speak.....I see them coming from early in the draft, others seem to think we have enough...….

Benning has a lot of options, and I believe most include the word "draft", maybe Benning is not so keen on doing that......who knows maybe it is Franko?

It is always a great time of year to discuss these things......there is a wide range of opinion, which I welcome, and respect...fun to see what actually happens!

11 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

11 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

We tend on being in agreement with pretty much up until the last paragraph…...I think we are much stronger than last year in general, and as we were declining last year, I see us having pretty much bottomed out, and on a slow ascend. I can see us being much better next year, and this is probably why I am so apprehensive this year, as we still need a few toys so to speak.....I see them coming from early in the draft, others seem to think we have enough...….

Benning has a lot of options, and I believe most include the word "draft", maybe Benning is not so keen on doing that......who knows maybe it is Franko?

It is always a great time of year to discuss these things......there is a wide range of opinion, which I welcome, and respect...fun to see what actually happens!

Having Pettersson is making everyone hugely optimistic of the future and expectations. The idea that they are at the same point totals is just showing that while there is improvement in the young player totals, which looks very good, there is still no depth in scoring to carry the team.

Colorado surged way up in the standings for one year and a lot of folks thought they were done but they ended up needing to tank twice more, they moved up too soon/fast and were not prepared for playoff games.

In just about every category the Canucks are a little better.

Benning has not used most of his options since being here except trades for minor/marginal players and signing bad FA contracts, not necessarily bad players, just bad contracts that help handcuff himself so he has an excuse not to do anything, "can't trade because of Clause in contract" we who put that cause there? He shoots himself in the foot and calls it not his fault or it is too hard because of the clause in the contract.

Gillis is still being blamed for contracts no longer on the books, he was burned in effigy for making it so Benning couldn't do trades and now Benning is doing it to himself and being praised for it or being excused for not trading or not having enough spots for rookies to play. Was/is Gaudette better than Gagne? if so, how many are better than Schaller? or Beagle or Rousell or Motte or Granlund or ….Gagner was the only guy sent down, the only one without a clause that they could move, a player they couldn't trade because of his contract.

Some times I read years past threads and laugh at how much they are the same and how some posters got from fence post to fence post, there are posters that say "next year" and "in the system" and praise how good every draft pick is and will be, for 4+years and now they don't mention the past picks except to say keep waiting. 4+ years and keep waiting and it is Gillis' fault.

I don't want to see Benning fired now, I want to see the team carry on as it has for the last 4 years for the term of his contract, 2 years. If them can do that then Benning's name may be praised as the GM that took the team into the nether regions for 7 years but ended up with so many top picks the team got really good, Just this year and next.

4 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Paryako is a different beast than Hutton.  I want JB to avoid big contract cap hits until we have an idea if what EP40 and Hughes are going to cost us.  

I dont think Brock is going to be outrageous.  So getting EK for anywhere near his expected demands of 10m per season or Paryako at 5.... Cap hit is important.  Plus a deep analysis of what type of minutes, zone starts and PP/PK might show where the value to one vs the other could sit.  

Paryako is 253lbs and can do things in the physicality department that EK cannot.  Cap is going to start becoming a concern.  EK also made it very clear when he was traded that he did not want to go to a Canadian team... so it is very unlikely that we would be in the running for him.  

His production in SJ has been underwhelming as well.  

Could Paryako become like Burns, and bust out offensively when on a new team?  

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

He’s pretty good yes, and like Hutton he’s not getting any primo pp minutes given who he’s playing behind.  He’s healthy too so far (not injury prone as of yet) which is a bonus and he’s big which does make a difference.  I do get your point though, sometimes I wish Hutton got a chance to run the 1st PP just to see how he’d do.    Parayko could become a very good defenseman in his prime.

Archived