The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Federal Government Approves TMX Pipeline Again - Update: Supreme Court Dismisses Appeal

DonLever

6 minutes ago, haton said:

I doubt our first nations people want to live under a monarchy. I'm sure the UN and the royal families prefer it. The native people I know prefer jobs and development over being treated like pets (used) by the United Nations and it's supporters.

Decion making by BC bands has a process that has been in place for many many years.  The indian act does not supercede traditional forms of first nations leadership.....

You may or may not agree with it.  That is neither here nor there.....

Reconciliation is more than just a word. Is implies action.   Empty words mean nothing. 

Reconciliation in Canada is a lie....

Premier John Horgan has no plans to meet with Wet’suwet’en hereditary chiefs fighting a gas pipeline during a northern B.C. tour this week.

In a Facebook post, the village’s mayor, Sarrah Nahornoff-Storey, said Horgan would still be visiting the community, but that the public event had been cancelled due to security concerns.

“Those that have threatened and made this not an enjoyable event from other areas are to blame for this event not being public now,” she wrote in a Facebook post.

https://thetyee.ca/News/2020/01/16/Premier-Horgan-Will-Not-Meet-Wetsuweten-Northern-Tour/

4 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Reconciliation in Canada is a lie....

Premier John Horgan has no plans to meet with Wet’suwet’en hereditary chiefs fighting a gas pipeline during a northern B.C. tour this week.

In a Facebook post, the village’s mayor, Sarrah Nahornoff-Storey, said Horgan would still be visiting the community, but that the public event had been cancelled due to security concerns.

“Those that have threatened and made this not an enjoyable event from other areas are to blame for this event not being public now,” she wrote in a Facebook post.

https://thetyee.ca/News/2020/01/16/Premier-Horgan-Will-Not-Meet-Wetsuweten-Northern-Tour/

man you really are on the side of the hereditary chiefs. Just curious, when are you going to un-cede your Surrey home to them? 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

man you really are on the side of the hereditary chiefs. Just curious, when are you going to un-cede your Surrey home to them? 

No worries . You are a product of canadian legal system ( common law ), so of course you don't support indigenous / first nations law.

Reconciliation is much than just a spoken word thrown around at your coctail parties you attend in West Van.   The  genocide will continue until Canadians fully respect indigenous peoples rights and history. 

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

No worries . You are a product of canadian legal system ( common law ), so of course you don't support indigenous / first nations law.

Reconciliation is much than just a spoken word thrown around at your coctail parties you attend in West Van.   The  genocide will continue until Canadians fully respect indigenous peoples rights and history. 

Please elaborate on this continued genocide you speak of. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

https://www.macleans.ca/opinion/what-the-debate-around-indigenous-genocide-says-about-canada/

While accepting the National Inquiry’s genocide finding, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has also lamented the public consternation that has been generated by the use of this heavily loaded word. The intense and emotional reaction to the finding has been mostly divided into two camps: those who are relieved to see the public directly confronted with an argument that Indigenous activists and scholars have been making for years, and those who argue that using genocide to describe Canada’s relationship with its Indigenous populations dilutes the significance and effectiveness of the term.

15 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

Maybe this will help you grasp the concept....

n a sense, the genocide finding does constitute a statement of collective blame. But it is also much more than that. At root, genocide is a political crime. States engage in the destruction of groups, in whole or in part, when they succumb to the idea that national strength depends on the construction and maintenance of a homogenous national identity; in other words, when they privilege assimilation over tolerance not only of different languages, races and religions, but also, and most importantly, different ways of relating to political authority.

https://www.macleans.ca/opinion/what-the-debate-around-indigenous-genocide-says-about-canada/

5 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Maybe this will help you grasp the concept....

n a sense, the genocide finding does constitute a statement of collective blame. But it is also much more than that. At root, genocide is a political crime. States engage in the destruction of groups, in whole or in part, when they succumb to the idea that national strength depends on the construction and maintenance of a homogenous national identity; in other words, when they privilege assimilation over tolerance not only of different languages, races and religions, but also, and most importantly, different ways of relating to political authority.

You are quoting an OPINION piece as fact. Get lost.

Canada has the least homogenous national identity of any country I know.

19 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

All news is basically opinion piece. Get Lost yourself. 

I have personally done nothing, I guess other than be a white Canadian, to contribute to the, as you say, continued genocide of Native Indians in Canada. Also according to you, my mere existence makes me culpable. It's like saying Germans born today, owe something to the Jewish community because 75+ years ago, a crazy German dictator tried to wipe them out. Guilty by association, right? So it's fair for me to say, you are also at fault. You live in Canada, therefore, you are just as much part of the problem too.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

yesterday....................nobody recognizes these people ,local that is. opposition to natural gas ,propane lines  in the north should not be confused with trans mountain , endbridge or petronas's bad chose of locations ,not that I support anything that rebel media spews , but they are bang on with this!

today.

• Wat 1

Just now, RonMexico said:

I have personally done nothing, I guess other than be a white Canadian, to contribute to the, as you say, continued genocide of Native Indians in Canada. Also according to you, my mere existence makes me culpable. It's like saying Germans born today, owe something to the Jewish community because 75+ years ago, a crazy German dictator tried to wipe them out. Guilty by association, right? So it's fair for me to say, you are also at fault. You live in Canada, therefore, you are just as much part of the problem too.

Yes, exactly,  all Canadians are responsible for the genocide of indigenous population of Canada.  

We still have numerous first nations commnunities that do not even have clean drinking water.....

3 minutes ago, chon derry said:

yesterday....................nobody recognizes these people ,local that is. opposition to natural gas ,propane lines  in the north should not be confused with trans mountain , endbridge or petronas's bad chose of locations ,not that I support anything that rebel media spews , but they are bang on with this!

today.

Once again the Tides Foundation is involved.  

Why aren't Canadians more outraged about foreign meddling by a rich billionaire?

4 minutes ago, chon derry said:

today.

so trudeau is hiring people to protest pipelines?

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yes, exactly,  all Canadians are responsible for the genocide of indigenous population of Canada.  

We still have numerous first nations commnunities that do not even have clean drinking water.....

Move to where there is cleaner water?

When you live somewhere and lose your job, do you sit there and cry that there are no jobs for you where you live? Or do you move to where there are jobs?

3 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Once again the Tides Foundation is involved.  

Why aren't Canadians more outraged about foreign meddling by a rich billionaire?

moreso the actual wetsuwetan people. but when the smoke clears (literally) i'm sure they'll be yet another court case hopefully that wont add delay.

Edited by chon derry

5 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

When you live somewhere and lose your job, do you sit there and cry that there are no jobs for you where you live? Or do you move to where there are jobs?

Great so easy heh.... well done...

What your solution for the  thoussands of  indigenous women missing since 1980 ?

“Reclaiming Power and Place: The Final Report of the National Inquiry into Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls” on June 3. The inquiry was in response to an epidemic of anywhere from roughly 1,200 to 4,000 indigenous women and girls, and gay, lesbian, trans and gender-nonconforming people who have gone missing or been murdered since 1980.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/06/11/canada-grapples-with-charge-genocide-indigenous-people-theres-no-debate/

Edited by kingofsurrey

8 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

For example, the forcible transfer of children from one group to another is still listed as a condition of genocide under the U.N.'s Genocide Convention

. Canada was clearly in violation of this with residential schools, followed by the Sixties Scoop, which saw thousands of children taken from their homes without consent and adopted into non-indigenous homes.

This legacy continues today with what is known as the Millennium Scoop, a term used to describe the incredibly high rates of indigenous children in Canada’s social services. There are currently three times as many indigenous children in the child welfare system as there were at the height of residential schools. It would seem, then, that the racist, genocidal policies that considered indigenous parents incapable of caring for their children in the 1800s are still alive and well today — albeit in a different, more insidious form.

Canada’s own definition of genocide in the Crimes Against Humanity and War Crimes Act says genocide is “an act or omission committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, an identifiable group of persons.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/06/11/canada-grapples-with-charge-genocide-indigenous-people-theres-no-debate/