The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aidan McDonough | #25 | LW

20 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Good to remember that pretty much every one of our college prospects (most of whom later signed) has made a similar statement, when asked midseason about going pro.

Pretty well any player you would want on your team would say the same thing. What else are they going to say, "Yeah, I'm salivating to get that signing bonus in my hands, but I'm going to go through the motions pretending I care about my teammates here until my season is over." ?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, WeneedLumme said:

Pretty well any player you would want on your team would say the same thing. What else are they going to say, "Yeah, I'm salivating to get that signing bonus in my hands, but I'm going to go through the motions pretending I care about my teammates here until my season is over." ?

Yeah, much as the media guys have to ask, I suppose, I still wish they wouldn’t bother.

No college hockey player committed to his team is going to even entertain the question. The best you’ll get is the stock answer “I’m focused on this season and the next game.”

And you really don’t want to hear anything else from them, at this point in time, as it sends a pretty bad message if the kid is focused on dollar signs and turning pro, instead of helping his teammates achieve something this season.

• Upvote 1

First time I've ever laid eyes on him in an interview. Seems like a top notch character.

So he's in his 3rd collegiate year.

Hate to be that guy, but say in 18 months he can be a free agent? is that correct?

EDIT: Wow, Thayer prep, Cape Cod, Cedar Rapids and now dominating @ Northeastern...

Edited by Western Red

21 minutes ago, Western Red said:

First time I've ever laid eyes on him in an interview. Seems like a top notch character.

Hate to be that guy, but say in 18 months he can be a free agent? is that correct?

EDIT: Wow, Thayer prep, Cape Cod, Cedar Rapids and now dominating @ Northeastern...

Yeah, August 15th, 2023, if he decided to hold out for free agency.

Could happen, I suppose, but I really see no reason to expect it.

I’d expect his main decision will be whether or not to sign after this season or go back for his senior year (and still sign with the Canucks in 2023). 

Covid has robbed many of these kids of opportunities to really live out their college dreams and ambitions, both on and off the ice. I wouldn’t blame him if he decided to do one more year, post-pandemic (hopefully), finish a degree, and chase some NCAA hardware, before wrapping up his amateur status.

But if I were to bet, I see him signing with the Canucks after this season, especially if NU does well, finishes out the year strong, and maybe wins a tournament or two, with McDonough playing a key role.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, much as the media guys have to ask, I suppose, I still wish they wouldn’t bother.

No college hockey player committed to his team is going to even entertain the question. The best you’ll get is the stock answer “I’m focused on this season and the next game.”

And you really don’t want to hear anything else from them, at this point in time, as it sends a pretty bad message if the kid is focused on dollar signs and turning pro, instead of helping his teammates achieve something this season.

Pretty funny that you wrote this today hours before the goalie from NCAA jumped ship and gave up on his team to sign with Carolina Hurricanes haha 

However that's a 1 in 100 case. 

39 minutes ago, Western Red said:

I really wouldn't worry too much about him bolting.  

Top notch kid, childhood friends with Jack Rathbone. 

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Northeastern loses 6-2, Aidan gets two assists in the loss. 

Haven't been able to find highlights. 

Here are the goals. You can see Dunzo’s assists on the replays:

Also, to the surprise of absolutely no one, McDonough has been nominated for this year’s Hobey Baker.

(Not sure if posted already?)

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

There is a rumour, he might not sign ?

NCAA guys don't usually like to talk about their future while they're in the middle of a season. He just isn't commenting on signing right now especially as Northeastern chases a championship and McDonough himself is being shortlisted for Team USA at the Olympics this year. 

He'll likely sign. His best friend is Jack Rathbone who is already in the system and apparently he's friends with Connor Garland, if that matters, since they all live in the same area of Boston in the offseason.

He's probably the Canucks highest profile prospect not signed in the Canucks system right now. I expect he'll be a priority signing come March.

3 hours ago, Quantum said:

NCAA guys don't usually like to talk about their future while they're in the middle of a season. He just isn't commenting on signing right now especially as Northeastern chases a championship and McDonough himself is being shortlisted for Team USA at the Olympics this year. 

He'll likely sign. His best friend is Jack Rathbone who is already in the system and apparently he's friends with Connor Garland, if that matters, since they all live in the same area of Boston in the offseason.

He's probably the Canucks highest profile prospect not signed in the Canucks system right now. I expect he'll be a priority signing come March.

Yeah, it was Dhaliwal and good points.   Hopefully, he gets developed properly, once in the Canuck system.