The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Why didn't the Canucks trade for Luongo's rights?

11 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

The cap-recapture penalty has settled in and the Canucks will be hamstring for $3 million per year for the next 3 years. My question was, why didn't the Canucks talk to the Panthers to trade for Luongo's rights? If the Canucks traded for Luongo's rights, it will take the Panthers off the hook and we can then just place Lou on the LTIR for the next 3 years. This is just a thought.

Lawyers would love this!  

11 hours ago, goalie13 said:

You can't just force him to go onto the LTIR.  And don't you think a move like that would look just a tad suspicious?

10 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

Luongo made it very clear that he was no longer willing or really able to work himself into playing shape. At a certain point the body says enough is enough and Luongo couldn't see milking it just to cash a cheque and take up a roster spot when he has no intention of doing the work required to play at an NHL level. He also made it more than clear that he intends to stay in his community for the rest of his life, in a place where his wife, her family, and their children were born and raised. As much as any other Canucks fan I wish he had played the game to keep the cap recapture from hamstringing Vancouver, but what can you do? The guy is a principled man and you have to respect him for that, at least.

He wanted to go on LTIR but the panthers forced him to retire by saying you go to the minors if you don't retire

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Like a player suddenly developing a skin condition after umpteen years in the league to get out of a high cap hit contract? :P

or when a team has cap issue and they need to resign young players and player on a bad contract randomly developes back pain

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, Boeserker said:

We ran this guy out of town! It was an absolute gong show and probably the most embarrassing chapter of Luongo's career (and one of the most embarrassing chapters, among many, in Canuck history).  

Utter BS.  If that pansy is still all butthurt for not being a professional than good riddance.  I seriously hope that franchise folds.  He got a sweet contract that no other goalie would've received and had the gall to complain about it.  He quit on this team not the other way around, people need to understand that.  Did the Sedins demanded out?  Edler? Tanev?  Because they were also coached by Torts here.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Alex Auld actually talked about this just a couple of days ago...  good question.  

So if Luongo wants any sort of a job related to the NHL, it would naturally be with the Florida Panthers since his family and extended family all lives there.  Now if we had traded for him, and put him on LTIR, he wouldn't be allowed to be around any other franchise, in any sort of a role. 

They used the example of Chris Pronger, who wanted to join the Florida Panthers organization after he retired but was unable to do so because he was traded from Philly to Arizona just to help them get up to the cap floor.  So he had to work for the NHL and was unable to get the job that he wanted with the Florida Panthers organization.  

It sounds like Luongo will be joining Pronger in the Panthers' front office, so I'm sure that they didn't want to force Luongo to wait three years in limbo.  

we never stood a chance. Tallon hates us, Pronger probably loved sticking it to us, Lu wants an office gig, it helps Florida's cap. 

52 minutes ago, Boeserker said:

Luongo probably hates Vancouver and everyone that lives here. We ran this guy out of town! It was an absolute gong show and probably the most embarrassing chapter of Luongo's career (and one of the most embarrassing chapters, among many, in Canuck history).  

He Ain't Coming Back! He is a Florida Panther! That's where his heart is.

whats it like living in bitter bubble? :lol:

Lu - "I want to take a moment to thank the people of Vancouver. I'll never forget the impact that city and their fans made not only on my career, but on my life as well. They will always hold a special place in my heart."

No double entendre or lines to read between here!

10 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Utter BS.  If that pansy is still all butthurt for not being a professional than good riddance.  I seriously hope that franchise folds.  He got a sweet contract that no other goalie would've received and had the gall to complain about it.  He quit on this team not the other way around, people need to understand that.  Did the Sedins demanded out?  Edler? Tanev?  Because they were also coached by Torts here.

That's why I can't stand the Canuck fans infatuation with Luongo still.

Like a pimply teenager that can't let go of his first GF.

SHE GONE!!!

Edited by Boeserker

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

oh no, not at all. I love your complaining. Its super insightful and always a pleasure to read. Well done. 

Well this is several threads where you have been stalking me and throwing out personal type insults without responding to my points with any substance.

Not sure why you seem to have a hard on for me. Well done.

Edited by Boeserker
  • Haha 1