The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

50th Anniversary of the Moon Landing of Apollo 11

DonLever

6 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

China just landed a rover on the moon didn't they? I do wonder this as well though - would be pretty sweet to see in 4k vs .04k like they did originally :P

But wasn't that apollo 11 mission the only time humans "supposedly" landed on the moon?  I am not a NASA follower, I just dont get why if it did happen way back then why hasn't anyone gone back 

21 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

But wasn't that apollo 11 mission the only time humans "supposedly" landed on the moon?  I am not a NASA follower, I just dont get why if it did happen way back then why hasn't anyone gone back 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_program

a total of 12 were landed on the moon during the Apollo Program 

obviously most people know what happed to Apollo 13

50 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

technology has advanced so much in thse 50 years, why haven't they gone back to the moon...that is my question?

Actually in aerospace technology has not "advanced" too much. They have better computers. But in terms of materials, engines, etc there has been very few advancements in terms of spacecraft. 

Other than first stage boosters able to land and be reused. Back in the 1960's they had Mach 3 SR-71's and a prototype XB-70 Mach 3 Bomber. 

Aircraft are more efficient. Not faster. You can't jump on a Concorde from New York to London or Paris anymore. 

Even development projects like Skylon seems to have stalled. So it's a matter of who wants to take the risk and pay the bills? 

It would be different if a material like Helium 3 isotopes (found in the lunar soil) lead to fuel for Fusion.

Like they say in The Right Stuff. "No bucks....no Buck Rogers..."

• Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

First off, there were massive budget cuts to NASA that reduced the number of missions.  Second, the powers that be figured low Earth orbit missions supplemented by unmanned probes would provide the most bang for the buck.  Third, the shuttle program.  Fourth, the infrastructure to construct rockets big enough to launch a moon mission had long been mothballed/turfed, the aforementioned budget couldn't support a new launch program.  And fifth, it's only until recently that the cost to launch stuff into space combined with the aforementioned technological advances have made moon missions affordable given NASA's budget. 

Edited by thedestroyerofworlds
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

Pretty sure we were told to stop Trespassing and not come back.

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

Spending on space is only a small fraction of what it once was.  Nobody wants to foot the bill.  George W. Bush even went as far as setting in motion a NASA program that was  to have us back on the moon by 2020.  The next president (Obama) came in and in short order cancelled it because of budgetary concerns.

The Soviets even cancelled their moon landing program after Apollo 11 because of the expense (and their rocket engine approach needed to be rethought).  If the Chinese chose to, they could do what they do best and steal plans from the USA/SpaceX and start building copycat versions of the rockets and capsules needed, and land on the moon within a decade.  They won't because of the expense.

As soon as someone can make a hefty profit mining the moon though, people on it will become commonplace.  Right now the most expensive metal that we know of in abundance that's on the moon is Titanium.  Nobody is going to hurry and bum rush the moon for titanium.

5 minutes ago, Boeserker said:

Pretty sure we were told to stop Trespassing and not come back.

Buzz Aldrin says his words were shown without the proper context.  https://sservi.nasa.gov/?question=buzz-aldrin-discussing-aliens

The fibbing is being done by the producers of this video.  They left off the second half of the interview in which Aldrin explained what the astronauts had seen.  And the supposed video of the object that they inserted in the program is not at all like the flat panel that Aldrin was describing.  Needless to say, Buzz was angry and asked them to correct this reversal of what he had said, but they refused.  Here is the answer I posted when this video first was aired: I just talked to Buzz Aldrin on the phone, and he notes that the quotations were taken out of context and did not convey the intended meaning.  After the Apollo crew verified that the object they were seeing was not the SIVB upper stage, which was about 6000 miles away at that time, they concluded that they were probably seeing one of the panels from the separation of the spacecraft from the upper stage.  These panels were not tracked from Earth and were likely much closer to the Apollo spacecraft.  They chose no to discuss this in the open communications channel since they were concerned that their comments might be misinterpreted (as they are being now).  This discussion about the panel was cut from the broadcast interview, thus giving the impression that the astronauts had seen a UFO.

David Morrison

NLSI Interim Director

August 28, 2007

Edited by SabreFan1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Actually in aerospace technology has not "advanced" too much. They have better computers. But in terms of materials, engines, etc there has been very few advancements in terms of spacecraft. 

Other than first stage boosters able to land and be reused. Back in the 1960's they had Mach 3 SR-71's and a prototype XB-70 Mach 3 Bomber. 

Aircraft are more efficient. Not faster. You can't jump on a Concorde from New York to London or Paris anymore. 

Even development projects like Skylon seems to have stalled. So it's a matter of who wants to take the risk and pay the bills? 

It would be different if a material like Helium 3 isotopes (found in the lunar soil) lead to fuel for Fusion.

Like they say in The Right Stuff. "No bucks....no Buck Rogers..."

It certainly seems that this is the case....

I would have though the Aerospace giants like Boeing and Lockheed Martin would be the ones spending the money on R & D, since they have a customer in the US military with a virtually unlimited budget.

I remember about a decade ago, reading about things liek Ramjet and Scramjet, that were supposed to be the "next step". Instead, it seems as though a lot of that money is being spent in other ways.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

?  Apollo 12, 14, 15, 16, 17 also landed on the moon.

1 hour ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

And Apollo 8 & 10 orbited the moon.

10 was a dress rehersal. They flew to 50,000 ft. of the lunar surface. But it was basically a test flight to get the procedures to land. They didn't fill the tanks of the lander enough to lift off. Because the managers at NASA were worried if they had a full fuel load and could try a landing. "Don't give those guys a chance to land because they just might!" LOL.

• Upvote 1

One giant leap for mankind.

Some very interesting stories behind the flight on the Apollo 11 mission, that at the time were not told to the public,and how big a role Canada played to help send the historical mission into the minds of children and adults alike for all time.

9 hours ago, Boeserker said:

What do you make of this?

https://www.syti.net/UFOSightings.html

It's a 90's Geocities type web page.  It's not screaming credibility.  I'd have to look into it's claims before I formed any opinions.  I've been busy lately, but I'll read up on one or two of the more interesting things when I have time this week.