The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TML - VAN (Proposal)

To TOR:

Jake Virtanen

To VAN:

Zach Hyman

Why for Leafs?

Now that they have signed Marner the Leafs exceed the cap limit by 13,365,199.  However they have 4 players on LTIR (including Hyman) for a total of $13,663,333.  So they will be under the cap on opening day by just $298k.

Once Hyman has recovered from his knee surgery (expected to be back around same time as Roussel), the Leafs will not have the cap space to keep him. They also don’t have the option of waiving players to create space because it would require them to waive at least  3 players to make the cap work.

Their only other option is to trade one of Hyman, Kapanen, Kerfoot, Johnsson or Nylander. But I think they will keep Kerfoot as he is their new 3C and the other guys are signed for longer term than Hyman.

Something has gotta give. If they trade for Virtanen they end up with a younger player with similar potential. JVs cap is only $1.25m so Leafs can waive two of their lower value players to fit him into their roster and run with a 22 man roster.

Why for VAN?

Hyman is the better player. Assuming we sign Boeser for about $7m and waive Schaller, we can afford to add Hyman. He would start on LTIR like Roussel and our opening night F lineup could be:

Ferland Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Miller

Baer Sutter Leivo

Eriksson Beagle Motte

Goldobin

Once ZH and AR both return to fitness we would need to waive Loui plus one of Goldy, Motte or Leivo, leaving:

Ferland Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Hyman

Rousell Miller Baer

Motte Beagle Sutter

Leivo

Thoughts?

Edited by BigTramFan

6 hours ago, BCNeil said:

The Leafs probably already know Virtanen is not having a good start to camp.

The Leafs will have to dance around this year and for the next few to meet cap.

I don't think they would be looking for someone like Jake right now.

Apparently Jake was bullying people yesterday. I think the media and fans are blowing his not being at media day and the fact he wasn't with the main squad outta proportion. Green said he was an important part of the team and is going to be big for the main club this season. There was likely something Jake was supposed to do this offseason but didn't. Green is holding him accountable and it sounded like it was just for the beginning. But we'll see I guess.

As for the trade. Just, no. 

Edited by N7Nucks
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Hyman is a prototypical powerforward who contributes best by making space for his linemates, his forechecking and PKing abilities are valued highly by Babcock. Babcock has frequently praised Hyman as the best forechecker in the league. More importantly he is one of the few players in their top 6 who brings some grit and physicality. They need him if he they are going to go anywhere this year, I don't think Virtanen is quite ready to be that player for them.

This trade would have made a lot sense for us if we didn't sign Ferland. As of now Hyman is a bit redundant with the pieces we already have. He's a better player than Virtanen right now so he would improve our team but the hope is that Virtanen can take that next step. We also have a few more years of team control with Virtanen whereas Hyman will probably cost more going foward.

IMO its a trade that makes little sense for either team

7 hours ago, Toews said:

Hyman is a prototypical powerforward who contributes best by making space for his linemates, his forechecking and PKing abilities are valued highly by Babcock. Babcock has frequently praised Hyman as the best forechecker in the league. More importantly he is one of the few players in their top 6 who brings some grit and physicality. They need him if he they are going to go anywhere this year, I don't think Virtanen is quite ready to be that player for them.

This trade would have made a lot sense for us if we didn't sign Ferland. As of now Hyman is a bit redundant with the pieces we already have. He's a better player than Virtanen right now so he would improve our team but the hope is that Virtanen can take that next step. We also have a few more years of team control with Virtanen whereas Hyman will probably cost more going foward.

IMO its a trade that makes little sense for either team

Well TOR is going to have to do something to clear the space if they want to keep Hyman. This is a potential move to get a similar player with lower cap hit that they can fit in. I think it makes sense for TOR, primarily because they don’t have many other options that I can see...