The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

College FA Signings

Al-mo

He is on the older side but free prospect, 1 yr low risk move... no problem from me. Would like to see us try find some more rhd to add to our depth. See what Rafferty can do with some time in the NHL before we praise him to be the be all end all... But low risk regardless of who we sign, it's just a contract slot no players/prospects or picks involved

16 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Colton Poolman, is he the 2nd and only other College player we have been in contact with regarding a contract? Was at youngstars in the past, so some familiarity with the organization

Signed with Calgary.  

7 hours ago, mll said:

Signed with Calgary.  

Watched Colton more than a dozen times over the past 3 years. Like him a lot. If he makes it, he'll be a #6/#7 defenseman. He's not as consistent as his brother Tucker, but he's steady and responsible. But it'll be a grind to make the Calgary blueline on the left hand side, even after Giordano is gone. Valimaki is obviously the go-to guy. As for the other spots, Carl-Johan Lerby and recently signed Connor Mackey are both more polished, especially Lerby. But even if only 1 of the 3 between Lerby, Mackey, and Poolman make it, that's still free prospects that cost nothing but salary. Low risk, high reward.

6 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

How did the Flames manage to come out with them both?? 

To be perfectly honest, and I’m not from Alberta, but if I had to choose one Canadian city to play in and live, hands down Calgary would be the city I’d choose. Without hesitation.

4 hours ago, Monty said:

To be perfectly honest, and I’m not from Alberta, but if I had to choose one Canadian city to play in and live, hands down Calgary would be the city I’d choose. Without hesitation.

Really? 9 months of winter would be where you want to spend your time? I suppose fuel and insurances prices being lower would be a bonus...but that is about all I can think of. Been there a few times, would never move to Calgary unless i got offered a damn near 7 figure annual salary. Even then, I would do it for a short time then GTFO and bac to BC

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Really? 9 months of winter would be where you want to spend your time? I suppose fuel and insurances prices being lower would be a bonus...but that is about all I can think of. Been there a few times, would never move to Calgary unless i got offered a damn near 7 figure annual salary. Even then, I would do it for a short time then GTFO and bac to BC

Yes, really.

And I would move anywhere I had to. Because people live in poverty all over the world. Who am I to complain where in Canada I live?

• Wat 1

8 minutes ago, Monty said:

Yes, really.

And I would move anywhere I had to. Because people live in poverty all over the world. Who am I to complain where in Canada I live?

we live in a country that allows us to live wherever we want. Your choice is Calgary, each to there own

58 minutes ago, Monty said:

Yes, really.

Not sure what you're confused about... you said you'd hands down move to Calgary out of any city in Canada, and your reason for that is that you would move anywhere if you had to? 

• Wat 1

On 3/23/2020 at 3:34 AM, DeNiro said:

My guess is because there’s gonna be a big shake up there after failing expectations.

Lots of opportunity.

Hamonic, Stpne & Brodie may all be gone this summer. I'd tip they keep one?

And how much  longer can Giordano last?

21 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Hamonic, Stpne & Brodie may all be gone this summer. I'd tip they keep one?

And how much  longer can Giordano last?

This especially. Once Gio is gone, their left side is Hanifin and Valimaki. And after a full season off the ice, chances are it won't be until the 2021 season where Valimaki gets his legs underneath him and is able to show more than he will next season (2020). 

Will Mackey and Poolman pan out? Good chance neither does. But they're free prospects. Worst that happens is they're given a chance to crack the lineup and it doesn't work out for the Flames. Worse things in the world.