The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nova Scotia shooter dead after killing 22 people/CDN Govt "assault style" weapons ban.

nuckin_futz

9 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Legal guns are legal....but a weapon is always a weapon I guess?

image.thumb.png.1f79e8d3e1ed3be71d83d7db1e7864b7.png

Again, enlighten me on how a database or the now in place 'assault rifle' ban would have prevented these, that's what I'm asking, although I'd love to see more information on exactly what guns were used, and legally owned... just out of interest?

Edit.... just now understood why you were laughing at the last statement....that is pretty good.  

Edited by J-Dizzle

2 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

Again, enlighten me on how a database or the now in place 'assault rifle' ban would have prevented these, that's what I'm asking, although I'd love to see more information on exactly what guns were used, and legally owned... just out of interest?

Maybe a database would not have helped.

But can you argue if say....70% of the available arms in canada weren't around that events like these might not have happened?

My wife snapped at me once about my guns.  I showed her how long it took me to reload in a controlled setting.  She laughed and said that's like useless.  I said I can kill anything I can hit, but I only get 1 chance.  A database might not work, but less overall guns might in fact lead to less overall issues with guns.

15 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

Hmmmm. Certainly seems like another one a database or ‘assault rifle’ ban could have stopped......

Probably not. Storage at a range, or police station might have though...

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Maybe a database would not have helped.

But can you argue if say....70% of the available arms in canada weren't around that events like these might not have happened?

My wife snapped at me once about my guns.  I showed her how long it took me to reload in a controlled setting.  She laughed and said that's like useless.  I said I can kill anything I can hit, but I only get 1 chance.  A database might not work, but less overall guns might in fact lead to less overall issues with guns.

I absolutely would argue that they would still happen.  Up until a couple weeks ago a van was responsible for the deadliest massacre in Canada in modern history.  There are people in the world who want to inflict as much damage as they can when they go out, if guns aren't available they'll find something else.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, J-Dizzle said:

I absolutely would argue that they would still happen.  Up until a couple weeks ago a van was responsible for the deadliest massacre in Canada in modern history.  There are people in the world who want to inflict as much damage as they can when they go out, if guns aren't available they'll find something else.  

Only one of those two devices though was created to kill.

• Thanks 1
  • Wat 1

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

and????  triggers don't pull themselves anymore than a van steers itself into a group of people.  Once you put something in your hands with the intent of killing or harming someone else it doesn't matter what it was created for.... THANK GOD, most of these idiots haven't figured out there are far more effective ways of killing a lot of people in a short time than semi-automatic firearms.  

Edited by J-Dizzle
  • Thanks 1

Just now, J-Dizzle said:

and????  triggers don't pull themselves anymore than a van steering itself into a group of people.  Once you put something in your hands with the intent of killing or harming someone else it doesn't matter what it was created for.... THANK GOD, most of these idiots haven't figured out there are far more effective ways of killing a lot of people in a short time than semi-automatic firearms.  

While there are more effective measures, guns are not only readily available, they are easily accessible and transmission of action to fatality is less brain power than most of those types use in a given day.

I own guns, I m not pro or anti gun.  But after listening to some of the arguments being made over the past 3 days I have to question if people are truly as competent, responsible or mature enough to own arms as they claim.

Less accessibility to arms and or ammo would in fact lead to decreased acts of gun violence.  I don't see how that's arguable

Just now, Warhippy said:

While there are more effective measures, guns are not only readily available, they are easily accessible and transmission of action to fatality is less brain power than most of those types use in a given day.

I own guns, I m not pro or anti gun.  But after listening to some of the arguments being made over the past 3 days I have to question if people are truly as competent, responsible or mature enough to own arms as they claim.

Less accessibility to arms and or ammo would in fact lead to decreased acts of gun violence.  I don't see how that's arguable

Humour me here - because in theory you're right (although I think there's a lot to discuss there in regards to why guns are easily accessible to people who use them to commit violence) - what is responsible for more deaths in Canada in a given year, guns or alcohol?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

Humour me here - because in theory you're right (although I think there's a lot to discuss there in regards to why guns are easily accessible to people who use them to commit violence) - what is responsible for more deaths in Canada in a given year, guns or alcohol?

Booze, but you won't really dent anything because I think alcohol like cigarettes should just be outright banned.  Serves no purpose and causes more problems than necessary.

It's not a theory though, less of the cause leads to less of the loss over time.

It's why America is effectively a lost cause.  

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Booze, but you won't really dent anything because I think alcohol like cigarettes should just be outright banned.  Serves no purpose and causes more problems than necessary.

It's not a theory though, less of the cause leads to less of the loss over time.

It's why America is effectively a lost cause.  

I applaud the fact that you're consistent... you are one of verrrrry few.  IF we're going to restrict guns so aggressively you'd have to be an absolute hypocrite not to also be an prohibitionist (congratulations on not being a hypocrite lol).  

Just now, J-Dizzle said:

I applaud the fact that you're consistent... you are one of verrrrry few.  IF we're going to restrict guns so aggressively you'd have to be an absolute hypocrite not to also be an prohibitionist (congratulations on not being a hypocrite lol).  

Keep in mind that I am not anti gun.  Like at all.  I just don't see the current outrage being based on anything other than emotional reactions over rational ones

Just now, Warhippy said:

Keep in mind that I am not anti gun.  Like at all.  I just don't see the current outrage being based on anything other than emotional reactions over rational ones

We'll disagree strongly there, but I think that's been hacked out over this thread about a million times.  I'd actually really be interested in seeing the stats behind that chart you posted on how individuals attained firearms (more so over the past 20 years +/- as beyond that I don't know is applicable to our current environment).  I haven't actually been able to dig up a ton on that.  

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

2015  CANADA DEATHS

1,858 deaths by vehicles in Canada

214 stabbing deaths

178 shooting deaths

SEIZE ALL THE HENCKELS

Edit: oh yeah...most of the shooting deaths are gang banger on gang banger...oh well.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

2015  CANADA DEATHS

214 stabbing deaths

178 shooting deaths

SEIZE ALL THE HENCKELS

Edit: oh yeah...most of the shooting deaths are gang banger on gang banger...oh well.

You gonna whine about human rights again bud?

Edit*. Oh ya I made numerous mention about clamping down in the border as I know most gun violence comes from illegal weapons

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

2015  CANADA DEATHS

214 stabbing deaths

178 shooting deaths

SEIZE ALL THE HENCKELS

Whew! Thankfully the Henckels. I own 8 Wustoff!

:gocan:

• Cheers 1

So just taking a few of those off your list there @Warhippy because I was genuinely curious

2014 Moncton.... The firearms in this case WERE obtained legally, however by the sounds of it the individual never should have got past the vetting.   

A former coworker said that "he's always seemed to have a problem with authority. Issues with parents, bosses, police..."[39] He also reportedly held anti-government and anti-authority views, had a fascination with conspiracy theories, and talked about killing other people and himself.[34][37][39] Two days before the shooting, Bourque made rants against all figures of authority to his father, during which he was described as becoming "paranoid".[38]

The day after the shooting, a local firearm and outdoor supply store, Worlds End Warehouse, issued a statement on their Facebook page, confirming that Bourque was known personally by employees of the store but that he "was never a customer and never purchased firearms or ammunition from [them]".[40]

One of Bourque's friends described an incident where Bourque had gone camping with several coworkers and brought "his rifle with him, without ammunition, which he held onto the whole night while drinking. That kind of freaked us out, so we didn't invite him the next time".[39] It remains unclear if anyone had previously reported safety concerns related to Bourque's firearm possession but local police stated that he "was not known to them".[4] In Canada, individuals who are concerned about the mental state or intentions of a firearms owner can notify the Canadian Firearms Program so that police can investigate.[41]

Following his arrest, Bourque claimed that he originally planned to harm the oil industry by setting fire to several Moncton gas stations and then shoot random people, but abandoned the plan due to issues with his bicycle. He purchased the .308 Norinco M305 used in the shootings on July 24, 2009 legally, but had an expired firearms license at the time of the shooting.[2][12][14]

2014 Edmonton...

Phu Lam (aged 53) had a criminal record dating back to 1987, which included drug and violence-related offenses.[4] At the time of the shooting, he was in bankruptcy proceedings and owed a large amount of money on at least a dozen credit cards due to a gambling problem.[6] Lam was arrested twice in Edmonton, for sexual and domestic assault. The 9mm handgun used in the shooting was registered in 1997 but was stolen in 2006 from Surrey, British Columbia.[3] In November 2012, a complaint was filed against Lam after he threatened to kill his ex-wife Thuy Tien Truong and five other relatives.[6]

Quebec City Mosque.....Bissonnette is another example of someone who likely should have been weeded out in the vetting process.  At the time of the shooting he was on an ssri, it would be interesting to know the level of what he was being treated for but there were certainly some significant signs of problems there.

I don't have unlimited time and if anyone wants to add by looking at the other incidents or add to this go for it.... it seems to me when it comes to mass shootings we have more of a mental illness issue than a gun issue in Canada.  Perhaps a better system than trying a blanket ban would be requiring further vetting for individuals diagnosed with mental illness.  As someone who has dealt with depression I'd be a little intimidated by that as I don't feel that I would necessarily get a fair shake BUT would view that as a better option than targeting an essentially non-offending target group.

As far as general gun crime goes have a look.... it would appear to me that gang crime with illegally trafficked handguns is a significant issue... that's where your border crack down comes in.  https://sencanada.ca/content/sen/committee/421/SECD/Briefs/Stats_Can_Presentation_ppt_e.pdf

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

8 hours ago, Warhippy said:

By the by, seems that since this nonsense came out....the Libs have taken a decided lead in national polling.

https://338canada.com/polls.htm?fbclid=IwAR1HmMzvyhVLPzrlLTWbHh3r3ZKzaD829_4Na_8SI4EgwJnNaE2yPPr3Zas

https://338canada.com/districts.htm

To be honest that's kind of shocking

Was 43% now 44% hardly any change. 

5 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

:picard: Suicide...

4 hours ago, gurn said:

Cops in Lethbridge;            video and tweets at link.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/lethbridge-police-criticized-for-takedown-of-star-wars-stormtrooper/ar-BB13DRL0?ocid=spartandhp

The Lethbridge Police Service has started an internal investigation after officers drew their guns on a teenager dressed as a Star Wars stormtrooper carrying a toy gun.

The arrest happened around 11 a.m. on Monday. Police say they received two 911 calls about a person in a stormtrooper costume with a weapon.

The person was a 19-year-old female employee of Coco Vanilla Galactic Cantina, a Star Wars-themed restaurant, according to business owner Bradley Whalen. The teen was holding a prop plastic gun as part of her costume.

He said he’d asked his employee to wear the costume and wave to passersby because it was Star Wars Day. The date, May the 4th, is a pun on the film franchise slogan “may the force be with you.”

“We don’t have an issue with the fact that police responded,” said Whalen. “We have an issue with how they responded.”

A partial video of the arrest circulating on social media shows the employee with her hands up and on her knees while police have their guns drawn. Police can be heard yelling at her to get on the ground, although she does not immediately comply. Later the employee can be heard crying.

Whalen said officers continued to treat the woman aggressively, even after they had determined the weapon was a costume prop.

“You could tell by looking at it, even 10 feet away, that it was a plastic toy,” said Whalen.

He said the woman was handcuffed and forced to the ground, but was later released at the scene of the incident without charges.

On Tuesday, the Lethbridge Police Service issued a news release announcing an internal investigation into the incident.

“Upon reviewing the file and additional information, including video circulating on social media, Chief Scott Woods has directed a service investigation under the Alberta Police Act that will look into whether the officers acted appropriately within the scope of their training and LPS policies and procedures.”

The news release said the girl sustained a minor injury that didn’t require medical attention.

According to police, the employee did not comply with requests to get on the ground. Whalen finds that difficult to believe given her background.

“What a lot of people don’t understand is that this girl is in a criminal justice training program to be a police officer,” he said.

Whalen said the employee is taking a few days to recover from the stress of having guns pointed at her.

He said the incident has led to calls from media organizations across the U.S., and messages of support from as far away as Europe and New Zealand.

“Something has to happen,” said Whalen. “We have been contacted by lawyers who are wanting to help us.”

Lethbridge police say they won’t comment further on the incident until the investigation is complete.

brthomas@postmedia.com

I seen this earlier this morning, did not realize it was in Alberta. i seen the youtube video.