The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canadiens re-sign Jeff Petry

54 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

This might be Bergevin (flashy guy by nature) splashing the cash to announce to the rest of the league that Montreal's got the money.  Doesn't affect their bottom line at all for the upcoming season.  

Might come back to bite them in the behind in a couple of years if the rest of the slightly-above-average d-men start getting 4 mil/year in the new NHL, especially given the fact that this contract covers years 33 to 37. 

You’re overthinking this. The deal doesn’t kick in until 21-22. So it doesn’t send any kind of msg about the liquidity of the Habs. 

41 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Weber 7.85

Chariot 3.5

Kulak 1.850

Edmundson 3.5

Petry 5.5/6.25

Alzner 4.625

Not bad for 27 mill, still gotta sign mete though

:bigblush:

Alzner will be in the minors or bought out. Add in Romanov on an ELC. There’s also Fleury on a ELC 

1 hour ago, Robert Long said:

certainly makes sense from that pov. Its still 13+ mil tied up in pretty old guys but they're also very good players so I can see the thinking here. 

It should tone down the Tanev at 5-6 mil thing thats been blowing around in the media. I love Tanev but he's not close to this kind of deal whatsoever. 

It’s only $750k more than it is currently. Also, Weber’s actual salary drops to $1m in the 22/23 season. I could see him retiring at that point. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

It’s only $750k more than it is currently. Also, Weber’s actual salary drops to $1m in the 22/23 season. I could see him retiring at that point. 

If Weber retires that early, then isn't Nashville and Montreal subject to the recapture penalty (like we are currently seeing with the Luongo contract).

1 minute ago, BPA said:

If Weber retires that early, then isn't Nashville and Montreal subject to the recapture penalty (like we are currently seeing with the Luongo contract).

If he retires in 3 years Nashville has a substantial recapture penalty. Montreal doesn’t have any penalty at that point 

7 minutes ago, BPA said:

But it's a US hockey team and it'll probably be forgiven :rolleyes:

They changed the formula of how the penalty is implemented.  It can’t be more than the AAV of the contract in any given season now.  The penalty itself isn’t reduced. It’s just potentially stretched over a longer period. 

I think they are likely going to find that this is an overpayment once the UFA market opens up and guys are available for much less.  Petry is a really good, but not top end D man, and he will already be turning 34 just when this contract kicks in...

The exact type of player that is prime to get squeezed in a tight market rather than cash in.

Edited by Provost

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

You’re overthinking this. The deal doesn’t kick in until 21-22. So it doesn’t send any kind of msg about the liquidity of the Habs. 

You’re probably right as far as me overthinking this, but it’s just weird timing. Nobody is resigning their own FAs and Bergevin is doing it a year ahead of time. 

7 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

You’re probably right as far as me overthinking this, but it’s just weird timing. Nobody is resigning their own FAs and Bergevin is doing it a year ahead of time. 

Wild also just re-signed Brodin a year ahead of time.

1 hour ago, BPA said:

Thanks for the update.  It wasn't in the previous post.

Look at that signing bonus.

Probably less $$ in the later years in order to move that contract if need be.

CapFriendly has the following structure.   I  added escrow and buyout details  

signing bonus         base salary        total               escrow               buyout cap hit                                               

2021/22                    -                              5M                 5M                 14%-18% dependent on HRR                

2022/23                  3M                         4.5M              7.5M                10%                 

2023/24                  3M                         4.5M              7.5M                 6%             2 years left:   3M + 4.5M +  2x 1.25M    for 10M in cost

2024/25                  2M                          3M                 5M                    6%             1 year left:    4.25M + 1M   for 4M in cost