The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Maple Leafs sign T.J. Brodie

23 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Am I the only one thinking, that's a LOT of cash to tie up on a who has a SIGNIFICANT dip in his production in his last year of his contract?

I'm guessing that they will probably move Nylander, but still, that's a LOT of spend in a flat cap.

"is this for real?" when I saw the NMC and 4 years x $5 million....

23 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Massive upgrade.  They now have two NHL defensemen in Muzzin and Brodie.  Not sure how they get 4 more under the cap.

From Gardiner to Barrie to Brodie....doesn't look bad in that sense...

Calgary upgraded as well, however imo  - at a better price - and actually got a RHD, whereas Toronto got a guy that plays on his off side....while they have Rielly and Muzzin...but have lost Ceci as well....they have a few spots that they have to fill with Dermott (if they sign him) and youth....

If Brodie is to get powerplay minutes there he might gain a bit of production back?....

However, I'd be surprised that a team would go out and get the cap cart ahead of the horse - but I'm not surprised by much that the TML do...

No disrespect intended to Brodie - but this is a surprising deal even by Leafs standards - in the present market.

Brodie got a raise on his 4.65, and a NMC at 30+ - with term....comparable season to Tanev's....

19 pts, 20 minutes a game, 48.8% ozone starts - playing with Mark Giordano the vast majority of the time ....

For a team that seems to believe it's in  a window, is it a sufficient kind of move to make them better?  Meh.