The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Racist attacks against Mi'kmaw fishers

thejazz97

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I can have beef?  If you're Canadian you should have beef with your government forcibly sterilizing Canadians based on their ethnicity period.

Again.  How incredibly generous of you to spare us a thought though

I am not segregating the two of us, you are. I am the one saying we all should abide by the same laws and you want your own special laws on "your land". I am even saying you can keep your traditions alive and give leeway with the laws but not exploit them. You are the one being intolerant. You think it's okay to shoot a 1000 elk and be like well if it weren't for the white man the elk would be fine so it's not my problem the elk are dying. 

4 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

I am not segregating the two of us, you are. I am the one saying we all should abide by the same laws and you want your own special laws on "your land". I am even saying you can keep your traditions alive and give leeway with the laws but not exploit them. You are the one being intolerant. You think it's okay to shoot a 1000 elk and be like well if it weren't for the white man the elk would be fine so it's not my problem the elk are dying. 

We...don't want special laws on our land.

We want what is LITERALLY promised us in our treaties but is consistently ignored.  Your claim of that being "special laws" is part of the ongoing issue with ignorance and systemic racism in our nation.  You think it's a special law for us to simply hunt and fish to feed our families and make money when literally every other avenue is closed to us?

Do you know what it's like being a native looking for work in a racist part of the country where my people are literally looked at as less than dog crap?

We don't think it's ok to shoot 1000 elk.  That's not what this is about.  Stop being so dramatic and stick to the facts not strawman insertions.  To claim I am being intolerant for simply requesting and desiring the equal treatment and acknowledgement of our land and game rights is not intolerance.  your insistence that we want special treatment is.

Edited by Warhippy
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

My next plan is to buy a house next door to yours.  I will then knock over 1/3 of your backyard.  I will build a pool in to it and put up a fence.  if you try to stop me I will sterilize your daughter.  Beat your son.  I will then degrade you, take away your ability earn a living and burn your vehicles if you make so much of a peep.  When you take me to court I will simply claim "it was forever ago get over it"

How's that sound to you?

What you're saying isn't even relevant but if you want to go back hundreds of years you'd be dead when you tried to take 1/3 of my land. I would have defended my land. 

Goodluck with that. 

3 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

What you're saying isn't even relevant but if you want to go back hundreds of years you'd be dead when you tried to take 1/3 of my land. I would have defended my land. 

Goodluck with that. 

What i'm saying IS relevant.  Because THAT is what is happening to first nations all over this country.  You're ignoring that and attempting to pretend to have some moral high ground by playing the victim.  Believe me sunshine, we're very used to that.

I'm not talking about hundreds of years ago.  This crap happened less than a year ago in BC.  First nations wanted a structured settlement to run a pipeline through and the government sent armed RCMP members in to forcibly remove them off of their own land.

Ignorance at its finest.  The fact you cannot draw the parallels is not shocking because you have zero idea what it's like to be a first nations member in Canada.

Patiently waiting for the "there's no systemic racism against natives" statement now from you as well 

Edited by Warhippy

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

We...don't want special laws on our land.

We want what is LITERALLY promised us in our treaties but is consistently ignored.  Your claim of that being "special laws" is part of the ongoing issue with ignorance and systemic racism in our nation.  You think it's a special law for us to simply hunt and fish to feed our families and make money when literally every other avenue is closed to us?

Do you know what it's like being a native looking for work in a racist part of the country where my people are literally looked at as less than dog crap?

We don't think it's ok to shoot 1000 elk.  That's not what this is about.  Stop being so dramatic and stick to the facts not strawman insertions.  To claim I am being intolerant for simply requesting and desiring the equal treatment and acknowledgement of our land and game rights is not intolerance.  your insistence that we want special treatment is.

I'm being dramatic? Are you kidding me look at your posts and the other guys posts. Nothing I said was dramatic. 

There are laws put in place to protect certain animals and you want to bypass those laws in order to feed your family... I don't have an issue with that if that's what you're doing but if you're hunting or fishing to make $$$ then you can abide by the same laws as everyone else. 

It's like the whale hunting is a "tradition". If you want to go hunt and kill a whale because it's a tradition... I have no issues with that. But you'd better do it the traditional way and not get a speed boat mounted with a machine gun and shoot the whale.  What is traditional about that? That is a complete joke. 

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

What i'm saying IS relevant.  Because THAT is what is happening to first nations all over this country.  You're ignoring that and attempting to pretend to have some moral high ground by playing the victim.  Believe me sunshine, we're very used to that.

I'm not talking about hundreds of years ago.  This crap happened less than a year ago in BC.  First nations wanted a structured settlement to run a pipeline through and the government sent armed RCMP members in to forcibly remove them off of their own land.

Ignorance at its finest.  The fact you cannot draw the parallels is not shocking because you have zero idea what it's like to be a first nations member in Canada.

Patiently waiting for the "there's no systemic racism against natives" statement now from you as well 

If the government wants to put a pipeline through your yard they are going to put a pipeline through your yard. It's like if the government wants to build a dam that will flood your property.. your property is getting flooded. The government doesn't care. 

1 minute ago, peaches5 said:

I'm being dramatic? Are you kidding me look at your posts and the other guys posts. Nothing I said was dramatic. 

There are laws put in place to protect certain animals and you want to bypass those laws in order to feed your family... I don't have an issue with that if that's what you're doing but if you're hunting or fishing to make $$$ then you can abide by the same laws as everyone else. 

It's like the whale hunting is a "tradition". If you want to go hunt and kill a whale because it's a tradition... I have no issues with that. But you'd better do it the traditional way and not get a speed boat mounted with a machine gun and shoot the whale.  What is traditional about that? That is a complete joke. 

Lemme simplify this for you cupcake.

Do you honestly think that the issues with first antions are truly "hundreds of years ago"

Yes or no

Just now, peaches5 said:

If the government wants to put a pipeline through your yard they are going to put a pipeline through your yard. It's like if the government wants to build a dam that will flood your property.. your property is getting flooded. The government doesn't care. 

It's remarkable though that I can dredge up dozens of examples where the government has essentially apologized to non indigenous land owners and found a workable solution but with first nations it's essentially send in the armed presence.

hmmmm

Meanwhile.  Children are being assaulted.  people assaulted.  property destroyed and businesses ruined in Nova Scotia while the RCMP literally sit in their cruisers and do nothing but watch.

Lemme simplify this for you cupcake.

Do you honestly think that the issues with first antions are truly "hundreds of years ago"

Yes or no

You're muddling multiple issues into a yes or no answer.  You don't want to be segregated but then you want to be segregated when it benefits you. Not going to work. Good luck with that. 

You're muddling multiple issues into a yes or no answer.  You don't want to be segregated but then you want to be segregated when it benefits you. Not going to work. Good luck with that. 

I'm asking you a question based on YOUR statements

Do you believe that the issues regarding land and title with first nations were issues that occurred hundreds of years ago.

Don't avoid the question.  You've already made your statements on it but I am wanting very much to try to educate you.

As for segregated no.  Everything regarding first nations title, land, hunting and fishing are literally created by the government of Canada.  The reason there is an apparent "segregation" is because of the issues you are refusing to speak of

Edited by Warhippy

It's remarkable though that I can dredge up dozens of examples where the government has essentially apologized to non indigenous land owners and found a workable solution but with first nations it's essentially send in the armed presence.

hmmmm

Meanwhile.  Children are being assaulted.  people assaulted.  property destroyed and businesses ruined in Nova Scotia while the RCMP literally sit in their cruisers and do nothing but watch.

I am not saying you're not right about that. The RCMP should have gotten involved and stopped this and arrested/charged the people involved. 

I am not saying you're not right about that. The RCMP should have gotten involved and stopped this and arrested/charged the people involved. 

Ok.

Why haven't they?

But in BC.  Alberta.  Ontario.  Saskatchewan.  Quebec and countless other places and examples over the last 30 years; when the first nations push back and commit the same acts; armed presence is immediately placed on site?

2 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

standing around mostly.

literally. they're there and just watching it unfold.

So while destruction of property, arson, assaults etc. are unfolding they are not doing their jobs.

Not to mention wanton waste which is really disgusting with so many hungry people around.

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

I'm asking you a question based on YOUR statements

Do you believe that the issues regarding land and title with first nations were issues that occurred hundreds of years ago.

Don't avoid the question.  You've already made your statements on it but I am wanting very much to try to educate you.

As for segregated no.  Everything regarding first nations title, land, hunting and fishing are literally created by the government of Canada.  The reason there is an apparent "segregation" is because of the issues you are refusing to speak of

What I believe is your reserve doesn't give you the right to create your own laws and that you can bypass canadian laws - with exceptions but not for $$$. I consider you a canadian citizen and with that you must abide by Canadian law. The RCMP should work for you as it does any canadian citizen and there shouldn't be any difference. 

Just now, CBH1926 said:

Why aren’t they putting stop to it or arresting offenders?

That's a really good question. From the sounds of it, there is arson, property damage, theft and unlawful confinement going on.

I can't think of a good reason (or even a bad one) for the RCMP not taking action.

Ok.

Why haven't they?

But in BC.  Alberta.  Ontario.  Saskatchewan.  Quebec and countless other places and examples over the last 30 years; when the first nations push back and commit the same acts; armed presence is immediately placed on site?

You'd have to ask the officers involved or the captain giving the orders why they aren't making arrests/charging people in Nova Scotia. Hopefully in the coming days/months arrests are made.