The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

For the sake of conversation. Rogers Arena upgrades. Seats and scoreboard?

Rate this topic

Canuckfanforlife82

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The seats will be upgraded at some point.  There was talk about doing it this coming year but obviously that has been postponed. They will definitely change the red to the dark blue jersey colour. 

The scoreboard was changed in 2006 and at the time was the biggest and best in the NHL.  They also added the LED ring around the upper bowl in the same year.  I would imagine they will upgrade the scoreboard at some point in the next 3-5 years.  But it still looks pretty good 14 years later.  The new one in Edmonton I think is twice the size of the Canucks, so eventually all teams will have to upgrade to be competitive with Edmonton as technology has certainly evolved since 2006.

I think instead of just blue would look better in a staccato approach with the blue green and white 

16 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

They are 25 years old and I know that the red burgundy seat colour just looks off. They really need to go with the colours of the team.

If the seats are full, does it matter what colour they are?  Or, would blue and green seats stand out more if the seats aren't full?  

Edited by goalie13

27 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

If the seats are full, does it matter what colour they are?  Or, would blue and green seats stand out more if the seats aren't full?  

Well, the stadium really should reflect the aesthetic of the team playing in it, or at the very least be neutral. A blue/green interior would look really nice and very "Vancouver". The red looks off, and it also sticks out like a sore thumb. Despite the protestations of the self-flagellating Canucks "fans" here, we really do pack the building on most nights, but the red makes the odd empty seats stick out a lot more. When the majority of people there are wearing blue or black, the red seats draw the eye.

Detroit had a similar problem where they had to change the colours of the seats in their lower bowl. 

Edited by Bitter Melon

16 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I know that the Acquillinis have said that it is not a priority at this time but a couple of years ago I heard they were talking about replacing the seats. I think with all this time off wouldn't it be the perfect time? They are 25 years old and I know that the red burgundy seat colour just looks off. They really need to go with the colours of the team. I have gone to many games at Rogers Arena but I haven't been there in several years so I am not sure how they feel or what shape they are in now. Again wouldn't it be best to replace them now when there are no fans. It's not a major issue. Its just for the sake of conversation. Another question is about the scoreboard. How often do they change scoreboard or upgrade them. When they built it and put it in they used HD screens well now they have 4K, 8K screens and most new or upgraded arena have amazing huge scoreboards. I am just wondering how many years the current one will last? Anyways feel free to chime in. Again very minute issues but its something to discuss.

Perfect time to spend money on new seats when they have literally no income from the arena......

• Vintage 2

The colour schemes can change over time (we've seen that first hand) and the seats were more reflective of the jersey at the time.  Updating to match the current colours makes sense...but in the long term?  There's been a push for some time to return to the skate logo jerseys and then the blue green would be out of place.  

Plus $$$$ is a big concern for all owners right now...not sure the employees who've all been laid off would appreciate them revamping colour schemes when they're all out of jobs.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

Well, the stadium really should reflect the aesthetic of the team playing in it, or at the very least be neutral. A blue/green interior would look really nice and very "Vancouver". The red looks off, and it also sticks out like a sore thumb. Despite the protestations of the self-flagellating Canucks "fans" here, we really do pack the building on most nights, but the red makes the odd empty seats stick out a lot more. When the majority of people there are wearing blue or black, the red looks very noticeable. 

I don't get to many games due to being on the Island, but I can't say that I ever noticed the red seats standing out like that.  Maybe it looks different in person than on TV?  

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against blue and green seats.  I think it would be pretty cool.  I just thought maybe the darker red seats blended into the background more.  SOFMC here in Victoria has blue seats for most of the arena, red seats for the club seats.

image.png.20bd83b93ec8cc21b87bfc3e77d3a4ca.png

Granted, in this pic there's almost nobody there but I think the blue stands out more than the darker red seats.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, goalie13 said:

I don't get to many games due to being on the Island, but I can't say that I ever noticed the red seats standing out like that.  Maybe it looks different in person than on TV?  

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against blue and green seats.  I think it would be pretty cool.  I just thought maybe the darker red seats blended into the background more.  SOFMC here in Victoria has blue seats for most of the arena, red seats for the club seats.

image.png.20bd83b93ec8cc21b87bfc3e77d3a4ca.png

Granted, in this pic there's almost nobody there but I think the blue stands out more than the darker red seats.

I grew up in Victoria, I'm very familiar with SOFMC. Now it's important to note that the architecture and lighting of every arena is different. The majority of the arena is blue though, like the Royals jerseys, and blue is much more of a calmer, background colour than red, which is aggressive and jumps out at you. I agree though the darker shade isn't as egregious as say scarlet, but I do think in Roger's the contrast between the red seats and the blue/green everything else makes a difference.

Edited by Bitter Melon