The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Malhotra: Another Coaching and Management failure

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

Agreed.

We can see the same patterns of 'rewarding vets' through the lineup.

Rous & Eriksson are in the lineup while Mac & Gaud sit... even though Rous & Eriksson have proved nothing this season. Placeholders, but they get rewarded. 

Brown & Baumer are the same. Our PP was inflated last year. Still extremely stagnant. Defensively we were awful - being outshot night after night. 

Even though the numbers are good (high PP%, and getting W's despite being outshot)... it doesn't mean its effective.

Tough call to can staff after making it to game 7 of the 2nd round though.

If there were a time to make changes, it is now. We can't afford to let the slide continue.

You can't call moves "failures" if you don't know the details and none of us really do.

Manny is from Ontario and it's not a far stretch to think that he was quite happy to go "home".  He had an opportunity and he took it...it happens and it isn't anyone's "fault" that he left.  You can't hold these people hostage...it was his decision to make.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

You can't call moves "failures" if you don't know the details and none of us really do.

Manny is from Ontario and it's not a far stretch to think that he was quite happy to go "home".  He had an opportunity and he took it...it happens and it isn't anyone's "fault" that he left.  You can't hold these people hostage...it was his decision to make.

When management stops re-signing anyone then it is more probable that there is fire where there is smoke.

I know you love your team and nothing they do is really wrong and the idea of firing anyone let alone the person you have championed for so long for is distasteful or outright repugnant.

So as a solution let's not fire Benning, indeed let's do the opposite, let's promote him to President of Operations. Now there are no operations mentioned but he can then go scouting and no one is fired.

And there is always fault to be found, even a butterfly can smash your windshield making a mess:bigblush:

Edited by Lazurus

1 hour ago, Lazurus said:

When management stops re-signing anyone then it is more probable that there is fire where there is smoke.

I know you love your team and nothing they do is really wrong and the idea of firing anyone let alone the person you have championed for so long for is distasteful or outright repugnant.

So as a solution let's not fire Benning, indeed let's do the opposite, let's promote him to President of Operations. Now there are no operations mentioned but he can then go scouting and no one is fired.

And there is always fault to be found, even a butterfly can smash your windshield making a mess:bigblush:

This idea got locked up in its own thread for a reason.  It’s ridiculous.  
The guy has failed us his current position, and has zero experience as a president.  
There are much better options out there for President and GM. (And coach)

1 hour ago, Lazurus said:

You have no idea how I feel or who I "champion for" so please don't speak for me.

What I'm saying is when a person leaves for a position that they feel better suits them, that's often no one's "fault" even if it plays into your narrative (see how that works?).   Manny had a great opportunity presented to him and that just happens in sports....people do move up and on in the business.  As painful as that is.

For the record and because you were rather presumptuous in trying to read my thoughts....I would have loved if they'd maybe tried a fresh approach and offered him our PP coaching position or tried to find something comparable here.  For you to throw out the "promote him to President of Ops" statement?   Don't build your own story line citing my thoughts/ideas...stick to your own and argue from that standpoint.  The sarcasm doesn't help make your case....we're all frustrated but the call for heads to roll panic button is always my first go to.  And I am not opposed to changes being made...I just don't feel like everything that happens is a tragedy...hockey involves changes, slumps, successes and failures.  I feel like this team has done some good things and will continue to do so.  I also feel that the pp is stale and needs fresh ideas/coaching and the defensive side of things also needs work.  

I don't know that a butterfly actually can smash a windshield.  

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

You have no idea how I feel or who I "champion for" so please don't speak for me.

What I'm saying is when a person leaves for a position that they feel better suits them, that's often no one's "fault" even if it plays into your narrative (see how that works?).   Manny had a great opportunity presented to him and that just happens in sports....people do move up and on in the business.  As painful as that is.

For the record and because you were rather presumptuous in trying to read my thoughts....I would have loved if they'd maybe tried a fresh approach and offered him our PP coaching position or tried to find something comparable here.  For you to throw out the "promote him to President of Ops" statement?   Don't build your own story line citing my thoughts/ideas...stick to your own and argue from that standpoint.  The sarcasm doesn't help make your case....we're all frustrated but the call for heads to roll panic button is always my first go to.  And I am not opposed to changes being made...I just don't feel like everything that happens is a tragedy...hockey involves changes, slumps, successes and failures.  I feel like this team has done some good things and will continue to do so.  I also feel that the pp is stale and needs fresh ideas/coaching and the defensive side of things also needs work.  

I don't know that a butterfly actually can smash a windshield.  

The promote to President is certainly opposite the current language used but in my context it is a positive regardless of possible sarcasm. 

I apologize for assuming you championed Benning and the management group, I could not find any real complaint you had about them and even more supporting the current team than anything else.

I don't think Green should be fired, just to say it.

And letting Maholtra was a mistake

Canuck PP is suffering the same as every other aspect of their game.

There is no President so moving Benning into a non existent position with no set responsibilities is not firing him, just a sideways move that would amount to about the same thing without a lot of drama or shame attached.

I do see tons of panic and altered states on the forum, like a forest fire out of control but to this has been inevitable since Chris Gear was hired as Assistant GM or a couple of months earlier. To me all the background comments, such as from Tryamkin's agent about nothing happening until finances were sorted out in December followed up by Gear and then the multiple reports of lack of negotiations from all the upcoming expiring player contracts and the Brackett stuff, well with Maholtra his contract was expiring and the Canucks granted him permission before it did and as most will do, said he didn't want to go but blah, blah, blah. The IT guys being let go in the front office.

To me this is the team, with the exceptions of Holtby and Schmidt, that I figured would be here, with age the majority of the team would slow down and the pressure on the young players might crush them, just like what happened in Edmonton.  I still don't think Miller really wants to be here or is happy. He played great last year. In Tampa he signed a home town discount, was then moved to a place he didn't have any say in, as far away from his family as possible, the added taxes and expenses cost him a million dollars and then comes covid, a novelty for the play ins and playoffs. But now a further reduction of his salary and more expenses and longer period of time away from his family and isolation. Players are people too and can be depressed, what has Miller got to thrill him? He can't even go out for a beer. It is not the same for all on the team, they come home to family, Miller maybe borrows one.

The butterfly and windshield, I was thinking the butterfly effect, butterfly hits windshield, causes bad vision, car hits ?

All that said I apologize to you for my assumptions of your position with regards to the team. My post was just a comment.