The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | February 25, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SN

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

Incompetent?  That's a stretch.   And, as stated, I'd look at replacing defensive and special teams coaching before the head coach.  We have half a dozen or more "coaches" on this team, not just one.

We had Torts....jabbing his finger in guy's shoulders and yelling in their ears as he insisted they ALL block a kazillion shots.  We had Keenan, who's listed in the top 10 NHL coaches...that worked out well (not).

You're missing a very important element in this - how players respond to a coach.  We've had "proven" coaches in the past and it's been disastrous.  No one said "keep the coach"...but I'd like your list of who you'd go after for the position?  Let's hear it.

Great discussion.  Preferably, I hope Aquaman hires a team president (first) that can work with JB and I agree that perhaps tinkering with the assistants till the end of the season will be a more prudent approach in this shorten season with the requirements to quarantine.

Great points bringing up Keenan and Torts as examples.  Hiring a veteran or rookie/ahl coaches doesnt guarantee any results but an "experience" coach will definitely cost more to acquire; everyone has to start somewhere and sometimes you find a diamond.  Imo, the current staffs, in game or game by game adjustments are lacking maybe due to inexperience (?) cause with the playoffs style schedule (of playing the same team 10 times), it will breed more familiarities among the clubs.   These past few games with the Canucks' great first period, I was watching if any period by period adjustments will be done by the staff to keep momentum but the result is what it is; perhaps the goalies can also do a better job of not letting the softies in...  Reload for next year; get a great draft pick, prepare for the ED and trade whoever needs to be traded - glad this is a shorten season and it seems that the clubs that are able to sustain playing playoff style hockey will do well this year cause the Zebras, after perhaps getting some well deserved criticism of calling alot of softies as penalties early in the season are starting to put the whistles away and some teams are already taking advantage of this.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 3

19 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Incompetent?  That's a stretch.   And, as stated, I'd look at replacing defensive and special teams coaching before the head coach.  We have half a dozen or more "coaches" on this team, not just one.

We had Torts....jabbing his finger in guy's shoulders and yelling in their ears as he insisted they ALL block a kazillion shots.  We had Keenan, who's listed in the top 10 NHL coaches...that worked out well (not).

You're missing a very important element in this - how players respond to a coach.  We've had "proven" coaches in the past and it's been disastrous.  No one said "keep the coach"...but I'd like your list of who you'd go after for the position?  Let's hear it.

If I thought this group was ready for prime time I might be more into a coaching change. Ultimately it has to be Green's choice about his assistant coaches. My biggest issue is on the d-side. Does that mean Baumgartner goes? I suspect all the coaches sit in on strategy sessions and all likely sign off on what they are trying to do. Early in the season the d-men were pinching regularly and getting caught without being backed up. Even now they will come deep into the ozone if the offensive chance presents itself. Are they supposed to quit that? Most NHL teams do what Vancouver is trying to do. Much of what is going wrong is execution. 

IMHO many Canuck fans took last years run as a sign that this group was much further along the development curve than they actually were. Pundits point out that Markstrom was making them look better than they were. Fans accept that and then call for serious changes like trades or coaching changes??? Miller was the toast of the town last year and now fans want to move him almost as bad as they do Virtanen. In my mind Van plays out the season with the existing coaches. Sounds boring but continue development and evaluation. Rotate the prospects thru the lineup and give them TOI. Trade vets who do not factor in the future as the opportunities present themselves. At the end of the year review the coaching, as I am sure is done each year. It appears Van will draft another top 10 pick. Get Pods and Tryamkin signed. Love to see Tryamkin play the last 10 games of the season. 

Canucks are not a serious playoff team so no panic moves are required. Green is in his 4th NHL coaching season. Every year to this one he has shown improvement in the teams performance. In this Covid aborted season I suggest some latitude is warranted. I don't see the players quitting on him. I do see a young core frustrated with the lack of results but that is more a maturation process. Another issue being ignored is the Canuck opening schedule that did them absolutely no favors.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

44 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

If I thought this group was ready for prime time I might be more into a coaching change. Ultimately it has to be Green's choice about his assistant coaches. My biggest issue is on the d-side. Does that mean Baumgartner goes? I suspect all the coaches sit in on strategy sessions and all likely sign off on what they are trying to do. Early in the season the d-men were pinching regularly and getting caught without being backed up. Even now they will come deep into the ozone if the offensive chance presents itself. Are they supposed to quit that? Most NHL teams do what Vancouver is trying to do. Much of what is going wrong is execution. 

IMHO many Canuck fans took last years run as a sign that this group was much further along the development curve than they actually were. Pundits point out that Markstrom was making them look better than they were. Fans accept that and then call for serious changes like trades or coaching changes??? Miller was the toast of the town last year and now fans want to move him almost as bad as they do Virtanen. In my mind Van plays out the season with the existing coaches. Sounds boring but continue development and evaluation. Rotate the prospects thru the lineup and give them TOI. Trade vets who do not factor in the future as the opportunities present themselves. At the end of the year review the coaching, as I am sure is done each year. It appears Van will draft another top 10 pick. Get Pods and Tryamkin signed. Love to see Tryamkin play the last 10 games of the season. 

Canucks are not a serious playoff team so no panic moves are required. Green is in his 4th NHL coaching season. Every year to this one he has shown improvement in the teams performance. In this Covid aborted season I suggest some latitude is warranted. I don't see the players quitting on him. I do see a young core frustrated with the lack of results but that is more a maturation process. Another issue being ignored is the Canuck opening schedule that did them absolutely no favors.  

Good points: that the early schedule did have a great affect on the Canucks' early season struggle and last year alot of things did go right for the Canucks & this year, it is the oppisite.

I agree with having to rotate the rookies in but this staff will never sit a veteran high minute eater on the d side over a rookie (who perhaps deserves to stay in); deployment and who plays on game day are still on the coaches.  Also, with Green not having a contract, it kinda forces him to put a more veteran line up rather than switching mode to prepare for next year (not sure if something is being worked out in the background but at this point he is still more focus with this year based on the game day roster).

I dont agree when it comes to keeping this staff together till the end; hope they tinker with the assistants but your right that Green will perhaps have to sign off on it (?) - it will probably be an awkward situation in the beginning if they do decide to go in this direction but this season has been a struggle & it would prudent to perhaps get some new voices in the room (just try something before doing any roster tinkering).

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

IMHO many Canuck fans took last years run as a sign that this group was much further along the development curve than they actually were.

While this is probably true,  other fans have recognized that when we had just Boeser and Horvat we had some fundamental issues.  Then we added Petterson. More elite talent but still had the same fundamental issues. Then we added Hughes. Even MORE elite talent and STILL the exact same underlying issues.  Although I recognize that athletes peak around age 26 to 28 and our core is still young I  don't think this is a roster or development issue at all.  Instead it is a systems issue. Passive D which relies too much on the goaltender, forwards playing too high and lack of puck support on the breakouts, sloppy and ill-timed line changes etc, etc, etc.  The only way to fix it is to employ some new systems.  Or, like some seem to want,  give Green and the core another 6 or 7 years of playing this uninspiring and downright humiliating style of hockey and *hope* they'll be able to figure out how to make it work for them.  

Last year was a fluke. We most likely would'nt have even made the playoffs had it not been for the COVID shutdown that led to the 3 game roundrobin qualifier. We matched up well against STL as they play a more passive style of D and every team in the NHL now knows if you give our top guys time and space they're going to find the back of the net. Against VGK, who plays a tight checking high-pressure D, we were completely obliterated.  Thoroughly embarrassed. It would never have gone 7 games had it not been for Markstrom. Yet Green changed nothing. Not during the series or afterwards. 

• Cheers 1