The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | February 25, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SN

Rate this topic

-SN-

56 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Different ways to motivate people.  The old school hard ass always boss/coach is for the dinosaurs.  Doesn't mean Green isn't hard and truthful with his players as well when he needs to be.  

Second, and related, what Green says in the media doesn't necessarily reflect what he says to the players in private.  Piling on in the media and creating even more of a $&!#storm doesn't help anybody.  Green has been measured in his remarks for a reason.

I'm not saying a coach needs to yell and scream like Tortorella, just that he needs to be honest with the players and let his disappointment with the performances be known. If the coach is handing out participation trophies win or lose it doesn't motivate the players. 

To your second point,  I'm not advocating for Green to single out an individual player or throw his team under the bus in the media, but just saying "we played good but didn't get the bounces" doesn't cut it either.  "Power play was a little too stationary tonight, we need to work on that" or "we're making 1 too many passes, we need to simplify our game and take the shot when there is an opportunity."  Constructive criticisms that the team needs to work on as a whole.   I  would *hope*  that the players feelings wouldn't be hurt by hearing that.  

As an aside, its really interesting to go back and read posts from 4 years ago  when Green was being suggested as a replacement for Willie D. People were making the same arguments for keeping Willie that they are now about Green. Why are some people so opposed to coaching changes? I  don't get it.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Different ways to motivate people.  The old school hard ass always boss/coach is for the dinosaurs.  Doesn't mean Green isn't hard and truthful with his players as well when he needs to be.  

Second, and related, what Green says in the media doesn't necessarily reflect what he says to the players in private.  Piling on in the media and creating even more of a $&!#storm doesn't help anybody.  Green has been measured in his remarks for a reason.

This.... +1

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

I'm not saying a coach needs to yell and scream like Tortorella, just that he needs to be honest with the players and let his disappointment with the performances be known. If the coach is handing out participation trophies win or lose it doesn't motivate the players. 

To your second point,  I'm not advocating for Green to single out an individual player or throw his team under the bus in the media, but just saying "we played good but didn't get the bounces" doesn't cut it either.  "Power play was a little too stationary tonight, we need to work on that" or "we're making 1 too many passes, we need to simplify our game and take the shot when there is an opportunity."  Constructive criticisms that the team needs to work on as a whole.   I  would *hope*  that the players feelings wouldn't be hurt by hearing that.  

As an aside, its really interesting to go back and read posts from 4 years ago  when Green was being suggested as a replacement for Willie D. People were making the same arguments for keeping Willie that they are now about Green. Why are some people so opposed to coaching changes? I  don't get it.

TBH, based on what you say I highly doubt TG is far off from that.  

The media stuff is interesting to me.  Look at what JB said about running out of time in getting a Toffoli deal done-i didn't think it was a big deal but it was all anyone wanted to talk about and harp on JB for. So if saying too little is safer than being more honest, well, I guess I understand that too 

As far as coaching changes go-at this point anything is on the table and I understand that.  On a personal level I just don't like people being fired from whatever job they're doing prematurely.  Because I'm not behind closed doors and don't know on a more interpersonal level what's going I reserve judgement.  If there are reasons that warrant TG being replaced (or anyone in the organization) that I'm unaware of that's not something I'm pushing back against 

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I know it's a lot to ask, but use your words.

Trolling does little to sell your point.

Attention CDC:

Deb is now the official moderator of the word “Is”.

In addition she is now the site expert on what constitutes a dominant AHL player.

So make sure the next time your favorite AHL player scores 4 goals in a weekend set of games let Deb know and she’ll post an article of the dominance.

• Sad 1
  • RoughGame 2

The "equivalent players" needed to be addressed too because it's fantasy, not factual.

Our picks are all 5 and lower.  Brock was what....23rd?  To compare them as "equivalent" to #1 and #3 picks probably shows more in their favour than against them.  I love where this bar has been set and anything beneath is a bust.  Right.

Also more fantasy:

image.png

Nope, we're not.

54E8D7D3-E45B-4AB0-B86D-7BDBD9C826D3.thumb.jpeg.e8352f522e52a3ec511ea9665a80540d.jpeg

1.  What is your idea of "success"?  Cup or bust?

2.  So if the playoff series is a "covid" asterisk deal why isn't this year as well?  Either it matters or it doesn't.

Yes...it is knee jerk.  A team that is bringing in young guns yet you want it all and want it now.  DURING COVID where, if you can't count success then that should also apply to failure.   It's a weird year....worst schedule ever "to start a season".  Don't ignore it.

Is it THE reason they're struggling?  No.  But it certainly has contributed.  The play lately has been better, even if the results haven't been.  That's what I'm gauging.   As Imac said:  "they're not as bad as their record".  

Are you ignoring the parts where I state "I'm not against" changes?   I'm simply suggesting that you may not get the results you want.  It's not as simple as fire someone and all our problems will be solved. 

This team had some recent moving pieces...maybe they need dust settling more than they do further disruption?  There's a lot more to it than "get rid of this guy".  The players will carry some of that as their baggage if it's not what THEY want.   

Be careful what you wish for....remember Torts?  I do.  It isn't guaranteed to get better...could get much worse.

Torts is doing just fine in Columbus and i did not mind him at all

We have been awful structurally for  entire Green tenure 

cup or bust? We can’t even qualify for the playoffs for 3 full seasons. Last year was a gift playoff entry 

Travis Green will not be the coach next year and I will be glad he and his sub 500 record (worse than Willie) and his crew are gone

no more ahl coaches 

1 hour ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

Sid the kid won the Cup in his 4th season in 2009.  It took him and Malkin another 7 years before winning two SC in a row at age 30 years old.

Their team in 2009 had the two high end players - Sid and Malkin plus a real veteran team, players with extensive 10+ years of NHL experience.  Names we are all know at the downfall of their prime.  They all had jobs at +30 years old.

The veterans all played a role in their SC Championship. 

Players           Age

Craig Adams   32

Matt Cooke     30

Pascal Dupuis  30

Rusland Fedotenko 30

Hal Gill             34

Sergei Gonchar   35

Chris Kunitz       29

Brooks Orpik      28

Miroslav SATAN  34

Maxime Talbot    25

Stanley Cup Campions in the last 5 years and the age of their top players.

Chicago 2015

Toews 27

Kane 27

Keith 32

Pittsburgh  2016-2017

Cosby 30

Malkin 31

Fleury 33

Kessel 30

Washington  2018

OV  33

Backstrom 31

Kuznetsov 26

Oshie   32

St. Louis  2019

O'Reilly 28

Pietrangelo 30

Schenn 28

Tampa Bay 2020

Stamko 32

Hedman 29

Kucherov 27

And the core young Canucks are 24, 22, 21, 19 and 14 (Finn).   Canucks fans must wait until the young core ages and surrounded by a supporting cast.   

Canucks 2025 SC Champions.

Petty    26

Boeser 28

Hughes  25

Horvat    29

Hoglander 24

Juolevi   26

Podkolzin 24

Taxi squad

Edler  38

Ericksson  39

I agree, but I don't think we'll even have enough cap space to retain all those guys... that's the real issue. Unless our core takes substantial pay cuts to remain intact, we really need to start competing soon and hopefully become contenders. 

5 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

I don’t disagree at all but even if he directly is more forceful where are the results?

its a results game 

Cruel reality of pro sports 

1 minute ago, canuck2288 said:

I don’t disagree at all but even if he directly is more forceful where are the results?

its a results game 

Cruel reality of pro sports 

I posted after that anything is on the table given the Canucks season.  

The real question is Barn Burner your twin or burner account?  That's some CDC dedication right there

5 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

The only thing I agree about this is, there are different ways to motivate people. But what makes me laugh is that, especially in this entitled day and age, you do need someone who has the authority and ability to kick butt. Period. Otherwise, why is there even a coach there. And whatever Green is saying private isn't working. 

2 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

The only thing I agree about this is, there are different ways to motivate people. But what makes me laugh is that, especially in this entitled day and age, you do need someone who has the authority and ability to kick butt. Period. Otherwise, why is there even a coach there. And whatever Green is saying private isn't working. 

Entitled is ironic coming from you

• Haha 1