The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade Proposals] 3 trades before the expansion draft

Trade #1

Canucks trade Mikey DiPietro 

Hurricanes trade Jake Bean 

Trade #2

Canucks Trade Braden Holtby, 2021 3rd round pick, Brogan Rafferty, Victor Persson 

Avalanche trade Devon Toews 

Trade #3

Canucks trade 2021 5th round pick

Coyotes trade Adin Hill 

Canucks do this to move on from Alex Edler, Travis Hamonic and hopefully Myers in the expansion draft so their top defenseman would be Hughes, Toews, Schmidt, Bean, Rathbone, Juolevi and possibly Chatfield or a cheap veteran and using their asset in DiPietro while his value is high. Adin Hill can be a good backup at a low cap hit

Arizona does this because they need picks badly and will lose him in the expansion draft 

Carolina does this because they are going to move on from Reimer and need a goalie of the future and they don’t lose one of their young defenseman for nothing in the expansion draft 

Colorado does this because they will lose Graves for nothing if they don’t trade him and they need a veteran goalie and Holtby can split duty and get a pick, prospect and another defenseman under contract for the expansion draft 

Willing to hear everyone rip it apart

54 minutes ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

Trade #2

Canucks Trade Braden Holtby, 2021 3rd round pick, Brogan Rafferty, Victor Persson 

Avalanche trade Devon Toews 

Colorado does this because they will lose Graves for nothing if they don’t trade him and they need a veteran goalie and Holtby can split duty and get a pick, prospect and another defenseman under contract for the expansion draft 

No way Av's do this deal. Toews, Makar, Girard will be protected. If EJ doesn't waive his NMC then they will go the 4-4-1 protection option and they lose either Graves or a decent forward.

They will likely lose Graves, but they can take that hit with their D corps, and will not want to lose Toews instead. There may be a deal possible for Graves (not Toews) but it would require much more than an overpaid goalie who is not performing consistently anymore (COL will resign Gru anyway), a 3rd round pick, and an unsigned B/C prospect. Adding Rafferty to the deal is redundant because he is pending UFA.

I would suggest that you could entice COL into trading Graves for Woo + 2nd pick.

• Like 1

carolina will have seth jarvis and/or david cotton come in as rookies as next year replacing 2or3of the paquettes/martinook,mcginn. that should free up 2-3.5 mill.

one of carolinas veterans will be chosen  in expansion freeing up millions 4-5

carolina will re-sign mrazek for 4.5-5.5M and Nedeljkovic for about 3.5 and let reimer walk adding between 5k-1.5m in cap

they will resign foegele to around 2.75-3.25m and svechnikov to around 5m adding 4m

resign bean between 1.5-2m

they say no to this trade because carolina has 4 goalie prospects and NEED young d to step in to continue be competitive.

also a unproven goalie prospect is worth didly these days, especially since you can have a prospect for nothing in a waiver pickup.

Edited by Petey_BOI

now looking at trade 3 i see you have your homer glasses on.

dipietro a unproven goalie some how has the value of a graduated 1st round dman (who played 39 games on the best team in the league), but hill a 24yr old graduated backup coming off a career year fetches a 5th. they likely protect hill.

armstrong takes you off his speed dial after this proposal.

Edited by Petey_BOI

You’ll get nothing of tangible value for DiPetreo (eg., very late draft pick) because he’s seen but two games of action this season because I dunno, reasons.  Not sure Benning wasn’t getting on whoever’s case to let the kid play.  Guess he was too busy amateur scouting.  Avs wouldn’t have any interest in a goalie making 5.7 million cash next season who’s 31 years old with a save percentage less than 0.900.  Avs are a playoff team.  If they’re going to allocate that kind of cap space to a backup, he better have a better than mediocre save percentage.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

I like the idea of getting Devon Toews from COL, they can't protect him if they don't make some sort of move, but I can't see Sakic moving him to us, he'll send him out east somewhere, I'd guess Detroit.

Why do we need to move on from Hamonic? 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I like the idea of getting Devon Toews from COL, they can't protect him if they don't make some sort of move, but I can't see Sakic moving him to us, he'll send him out east somewhere, I'd guess Detroit.

Why do we need to move on from Hamonic? 

Good Morning Jimmy

I am confused with the love for Hamonic

Hughes is - 25 with him. Am I missing something?.............Basically - 50 over a full season

It is not Hamonic's fault, but he is not fixing the problem he was brought in to fix

31 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Good Morning Jimmy

I am confused with the love for Hamonic

Hughes is - 25 with him. Am I missing something?.............Basically - 50 over a full season

It is not Hamonic's fault, but he is not fixing the problem he was brought in to fix

Hey Jan

Don't know that I'd call it "love" per se, just like him at ~2 mil or so. He's responsible, brings a bit of bite. Not irreplaceable but not trash we "need" to move on from, since we really don't have any right side depth anyway. Hi Nik.

Hughes minus issues are of his own making this year, in part because teams are playing him harder and he's needed a learning curve. I haven't checked the stats but it seems to me like he was improving prior to covid. 

I also think Green plays him too many minutes so we might be seeing some fatigue related errors too. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 1