The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Warriors Wanted (for Canucks' GM to post this summer)

Rate this topic

Slegr

19 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Physical doesn't mean an open door for unchecked violent aggression that strays outside the "checking/hitting" that is expected.

Body slams aren't supposed to be hockey plays.

Helmetless head hits are long term concerns.

Physical game is somewhere between what we're seeing and ballet.  

Getting healthy isn't always a summer, off season event....for some, an entire lifetime won't heal things.  So there's a balance to be struck in all of this and players deserve to have their long term interests protected.  Not sacrificed for short term ratings and interest.

We've been conditioned to think that hockey players are invincible rather than human beings.

Once a person experiences life and suffers setbacks, like career ending concussions in my case, I suspect that the empathy towards others tends to ramp up a little bit. I think this poster is a good young guy with great health and not much thought to spare for good health among others. I also know from experience that mindset will change with life experience. 

• Vintage 1

21 hours ago, Slegr said:

I like my Coffee Crisp and I like my hockey snarly. I grew up on Momesso, Jovo-cop, even Linden, a captain who consistently plastered opponents into the boards a few times a game. I want some more of that.

Of course when the games are meaningful games I expect and want to see every player on full compete mode, but you are basically asking for reckless and ruthless agression/injury simply so you may be entertained for the next 7 games with no other purpose. I get the sense you enjoyed Manny Malhotra's on ice trauma of a puck to the eye socket just a bit too much, as it is almost exactly what your rooting for. 

However, I will accept that I may be taking your posts out of context. Of course I think we should have some tougher skilled players in the pack simply to keep a check on other teams taking liberties, but I am of the opinion a Tom Wilson, while nice to have, if there was a clone on every single team: the league would suffer dramatically from a binge of high skilled talent on IR. 

I would rather watch Crosby v McDavid than Scott V Wilson. 

Edited by Primal Optimist

22 hours ago, Fred65 said:

A couple of years back a D'man, Dylan McIlrath was the next Tom Wilson or so it seemed was drafted in the first round by NYR. He was rushed and as a youngster couldn't hold his own with the seasoned heavy weight. He's not much of a skill player but I see he's starting to rack up PIM's again the AHL, which mean he has his confidence back ???  He's 6'4'/235 and a UFA this summer. He's a RHD deffinitely a 7-8 D'man was on a league minimum contract but worth a punt ??

Brett Gallant vs. Dylan McIlrath, April 20, 2021 - Cleveland Monsters vs. Grand Rapids Griffins (hockeyfights.com)

He is actually the nephew of a friend of mine.   He had a setback/injury (knee?) and sort of faded out a bit but is a great, young player.

30 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

He is actually the nephew of a friend of mine.   He had a setback/injury (knee?) and sort of faded out a bit but is a great, young player.

That's good to know. Some times, in fact I suspect many times we are unaware of all the details lurking behind the scene. It's always sad to see players unable to complete their dreams, but frankly that happens in many industries to many people. I have a friend with 2 children who are slowly going blind, it's a tragedy and I can't imagine the pain she suffers.

• Sad 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

On 5/8/2021 at 10:47 AM, Slegr said:

Exactly. I’m still bothered that we let one of our future ring-of-honour defensemen Alex Edler gave bullied into a fight like that without anybody else going hard at anyone on Toronto. The Canucks of old would have had more to say about it. I don’t mind the fact we’re not skilled enough yet to beat teams, but I hate how we’re not tough enough to beat teams. 

I agree with the team toughness part but Edler has to stand up for himself and set an example cause he is one of the untouchable vets..