The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Warriors Wanted (for Canucks' GM to post this summer)

Rate this topic

Slegr

If you're not willing to

Give a check

To make a cheque

Or

Block a shot

To get your shot

If you care more to

Protect a lead

Than protect your mates

And Care more about

The name on the back of your jersey

Than the logo on the front

You need not apply.

• Like 2
  • RoughGame 1

Not sure what the problem is for the op? Team can't make the playoffs anymore, realistically, and so they are trying out some young prospects, tweaking line combos to get a snapshot of things for next year and trying not to lose anyone to injury, considering the whole club was off with COVID for a month and only got back like two weeks ago, IMO this is completely unfair to say about our club: the number one thing I hope for right now is that the guys finish the year without any more injuries: the OP seems to want to see more pucks to the face, blocked shots and pugilism than actual hockey plays on the ice in a meaningless few games to end the year. 

I get it a bit though, we all want to see some excitement, but with this season history, lets just finish safe and regroup for October with PODZ and a high draft pick 

• Cheers 2

This has nothing to do with Covid, etc.
Call me old fashioned, but this is simply about wanting more grit, toughness and pushback in the lineup. 
Don’t get me wrong, I really enjoy watching the top end talent like Hughes, Petey and Boeser. But one of the areas our GM has failed us, in my mind, is bringing in and securing some guys who pushback, are big, and nasty. We’ve tried with Ferland, and it looked okay with Tryamkin until recently. But we are a small team. Our elite forwards are smaller and less feisty than most other teams elite forwards. Our defense basically has Hamonic in terms of relatively tough guys, and the rest of our forwards don’t play with that edge. Maybe Virtanen showed signs, but even his fate is unknown.

I like my Coffee Crisp and I like my hockey snarly. I grew up on Momesso, Jovo-cop, even Linden, a captain who consistently plastered opponents into the boards a few times a game. I want some more of that.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 2

8 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Call me old fashioned, but this is simply about wanting more grit, toughness and pushback in the lineup. 
Don’t get me wrong, I really enjoy watching the top end talent like Hughes, Petey and Boeser. But one of the areas our GM has failed us, in my mind, is bringing in and securing some guys who pushback, are big, and nasty. We’ve tried with Ferland, and it looked okay with Tryamkin until recently. But we are a small team. Our elite forwards are smaller and less feisty than most other teams elite forwards. Our defense basically has Hamonic in terms of relatively tough guys, and the rest of our forwards don’t play with that edge. Maybe Virtanen showed signs, but even his fate is unknown.

I like my Coffee Crisp and I like my hockey snarly. I grew up on Momesso, Jovo-cop, even Linden, a captain who consistently plastered opponents into the boards a few times a game. I want some more of that.

I can understand this to some degree.

The Canucks as constructed do not really have an identity as a team and the lack of push back is concerning.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I can understand this to some degree.

The Canucks as constructed do not really have an identity as a team and the lack of push back is concerning.

Exactly. I’m still bothered that we let one of our future ring-of-honour defensemen Alex Edler gave bullied into a fight like that without anybody else going hard at anyone on Toronto. The Canucks of old would have had more to say about it. I don’t mind the fact we’re not skilled enough yet to beat teams, but I hate how we’re not tough enough to beat teams. 

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2

36 minutes ago, Primal Optimist said:

...the number one thing I hope for right now is that the guys finish the year without any more injuries...lets just finish safe and regroup for October with PODZ

This kind of mentality is what fans seem to be conditioned towards these days. This is the NHL - it’s supposed to be a physical game, not ballet. The team has all summer to get healthy again. Why would we care most about hoping players stay safe and don’t get injured? I care more about the team showing needed pushback, some feistiness, gaining some much needed respect across the league as a tough team to play against, who has each other’s backs. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Slegr said:

Exactly. I’m still bothered that we let one of our future ring-of-honour defensemen Alex Edler gave bullied into a fight like that without anybody else going hard at anyone on Toronto. The Canucks of old would have had more to say about it. I don’t mind the fact we’re not skilled enough yet to beat teams, but I hate how we’re not tough enough to beat teams. 

There is a lot of talk about how this team is close knit. We supposedly have to sign older players to bad contracts to keep the band together for that reason and to provide leadership.

Not gonna lie, I dont see a team that is close knit or willing to go through a wall for each other at all with this group.

When Hamonic is your only vet that will push back at all, you have an issue. 

Giving Horvat the C seems to have neutered the bit of feisty competitiveness he was developing. Now he reminds me of the Sedins or Naslund more than Linden tbh. I love the guy but would like to see him put the team on his back emotionally too, not just by being a rah rah cheerleader type leader but by going out and demanding accountability in some way when other teams take liberties. Not that its all on him, its not. But we dont need another team that just accepts the pp and hopes to punish aggregious acts on the scoreboard.

• Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, Slegr said:

This kind of mentality is what fans seem to be conditioned towards these days. This is the NHL - it’s supposed to be a physical game, not ballet. The team has all summer to get healthy again. Why would we care most about hoping players stay safe and don’t get injured? I care more about the team showing needed pushback, some feistiness, gaining some much needed respect across the league as a tough team to play against, who has each other’s backs. 

I don't for a moment believe that the other 30 teams have much if any respect for the Canucks. Certainly not TO, they glance  at the Vcr line up and think so what. TO in fact has loaded up with "character" players in readiness .... just like Gillis did when we were contenders Lapierre, Torres, Bieska, Burrows, Kesler. Any opponent looking down that roster would be thinking no thanks, except Boston. It would be all together different if Vcr had a red hot PP, but they don't so that doesn't figure into it

1 hour ago, Slegr said:

Physical doesn't mean an open door for unchecked violent aggression that strays outside the "checking/hitting" that is expected.

Body slams aren't supposed to be hockey plays.

Helmetless head hits are long term concerns.

Physical game is somewhere between what we're seeing and ballet.  

Getting healthy isn't always a summer, off season event....for some, an entire lifetime won't heal things.  So there's a balance to be struck in all of this and players deserve to have their long term interests protected.  Not sacrificed for short term ratings and interest.

We've been conditioned to think that hockey players are invincible rather than human beings.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

A couple of years back a D'man, Dylan McIlrath was the next Tom Wilson or so it seemed was drafted in the first round by NYR. He was rushed and as a youngster couldn't hold his own with the seasoned heavy weight. He's not much of a skill player but I see he's starting to rack up PIM's again the AHL, which mean he has his confidence back ???  He's 6'4'/235 and a UFA this summer. He's a RHD deffinitely a 7-8 D'man was on a league minimum contract but worth a punt ??

Brett Gallant vs. Dylan McIlrath, April 20, 2021 - Cleveland Monsters vs. Grand Rapids Griffins (hockeyfights.com)

Edited by Fred65

3 hours ago, Slegr said:

Times have sure changed.   I hated the Keenan era but at least that team was as tough as nails, before, especially during and after.     A lot of cups of coffee came in, but there was a steady diet of guys that would make Simmonds and Wilson run and hide.   Walker would have handled them with ease ... and then guys like Ciccone,  Crowder were coming in an leaving all the time.   McAllister gave Parker a run for his money and he wasn't even there really to do that.   Team toughness ... best we can hope for.   No nock on the guys themselves they are what they are, but bring in some guys that play tough and it rubs off on the entire lineup. 

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

There is a lot of talk about how this team is close knit. We supposedly have to sign older players to bad contracts to keep the band together for that reason and to provide leadership.

Not gonna lie, I dont see a team that is close knit or willing to go through a wall for each other at all with this group.

When Hamonic is your only vet that will push back at all, you have an issue. 

Giving Horvat the C seems to have neutered the bit of feisty competitiveness he was developing. Now he reminds me of the Sedins or Naslund more than Linden tbh. I love the guy but would like to see him put the team on his back emotionally too, not just by being a rah rah cheerleader type leader but by going out and demanding accountability in some way when other teams take liberties. Not that its all on him, its not. But we dont need another team that just accepts the pp and hopes to punish aggregious acts on the scoreboard.

In all fairness we saw Horvat push us past the Stanley Cup champs in the bubble, taking on one of the very best two-way C's in O'Reilly and more then keeping up, and again saw a glimpse after covid the first couple of games seemed to want to will us some wins.   No he's not Linden, and no he's not as skilled as Naslund and the Sedins either.   Tough acts to follow really given the type of playing he is.   Hoping he can evolve yet and it hasn't been all bad so far. 

7 hours ago, Slegr said:

FWIW, I think that Benning likes a tougher team too.  This is exactly why Baertschi is..... wherever he is.....

20 hours ago, Slegr said:

While I am sure the players appreciate your fandom, what exactly is your entitlement issue? Maybe spend some years abroad in the dessert in service to your country and come back and tell me how much you appreciate good health in folks. 

• Like 1