The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Ron MacLean homophobic?

Rate this topic

On 5/28/2021 at 9:02 AM, GarthButcher5 said:

I am not a fan of Ron MacLean whatsoever but I do not think he should be fired for this.

Why do we have to take everything so seriously? A mean nothing comment and people are calling for the guys head? Cancel culture is a major detractor to society being able to have meaningful discussions  on the important issues we are facing this day and age.

Now and always those that want to be inflammatory and instantly call for a guys head should do dome serious introspection themselves. We are all flawed as human beings, we all have a level of bias or corruption in or nature but we all have to share the same space on this planet and learn how to live together.

I think the difference here is the venue and platform where he made the comments. Look at all the NHL has done to work with the LBTQ community and then he goes and says this. Not the sharpest tool in the shed ol Ronnie Maclean

1 hour ago, MikeBossy said:

I had to google the term - there's worse things to be called. As for anyone defending Cherry - his views were relevant back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth. He has always been entitled to his opinions but not on a platform like CBC and we are better for him being removed from the public airways.

I liked Cherry, and I'm sad he couldn't see through his pride to just apologize properly. When he stuck to hockey he was fun to watch. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I liked Cherry, and I'm sad he couldn't see through his pride to just apologize properly. When he stuck to hockey he was fun to watch

Problem was he didn't know when to stop

• Vintage 1

On 5/26/2021 at 7:17 PM, Where's Wellwood said:

Hes already released an apology. I believe that it's a genuine apology,  I just don't buy his excuse

Positive for rum? what? He should've said it was a reference to covid (since Stewart was pictured at a party). That would've made more sense

He probably did mean covid, but I think it's far to early for that. Covid jokes don't fly yet. So he went with the drunk thing using a play on words with the positive quote that they were already talking about. You can hate this guy all you want but I really don't think this was a homophobic comment myself.

• Cheers 1