The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Ron MacLean homophobic?

Rate this topic

My biggest issue with Ron is how hard he tries to be cool/relevant.  He comes off as dorky and phoney.  Trying to fit in.

I can't stand him and how he flip flops to save face, but can't really see anything here that's a huge issue.  Just Ron being Ron.

• Vintage 1

27 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

He lost any right to getting the benefit of the doubt after he decided to use HNIC as a platform to commit criminal slander against Burrows; he should have been fired on the spot for that incident alone.  If Cherry gets fired for "you people", there is no excuse for Sportsnet to continue to employ this oxygen thief.

That's an entirely different kettle of fish. No doubt a scumbag move however.

And the Burrows ass kissing tour he was on for years after was a hilarious attempt to make up for it. 

3 minutes ago, AriGold said:

Tarps off is locker room talk for shirts off.

That’s it? I guess I don’t understand how someone would get offended about that. Live TV though I guess, never know. Kinda stupid joke anyway. 

Ron should have just admitted he made a mistake instead of some bull story about rum haha 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

That’s it? I guess I don’t understand how someone would get offended about that. Live TV though I guess, never know. Kinda stupid joke anyway. 

Ron should have just admitted he made a mistake instead of some bull story about rum haha 

The "Tested positive" comment was aids related..

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Ah that makes more sense 

He basically called Juice gay for having a picture of Anthony Stewart with his shirt off. Then insinuated he's tested positive for Aids...

Edited by AriGold
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, AriGold said:

Sportsnet

1. Fire somebody if they want immigrants to wear a poppy to remember the fallen soldiers of the country they live in.

2. Keep somebody if they take a shot at the LGBTQ2S+ community.

I guess tarps off Ron...

The problem is Cherry has had a long history of saying outrageous things and getting away with it; only time become his enemy. 

Had he said that statement about immigrants and poppies 20 hell 10 years ago he would have gotten away with it. 

In this decade cancel culture will claim many people.

Although the LGBTQ2S+ community faces alot of hate I believe this comment was more of a joke than anything.

Definitely not as serious as the Cherry's statement; and not warranted of a sacking. 

Edited by drummer4now

1 minute ago, drummer4now said:

The problem is Cherry had a long history of saying outrageous things and getting away with it; only time become his enemy. 

Had he said that statement about immigrants and poppies 20 hell 10 years ago he would have gotten away with it. 

In this decade cancel culture will claim many people.

Although the LGBTQ2S+ community faces alot of hate I believe this comment was more of a joke than anything.

Definitely as serious as Cherry's comment.  

Oh I 100% agree. I know it was all in fun but if they fired Don for what he did then I think Ron should get fired. 

If they don’t fire him the snowball is set. Another incident from Sportsnet would just get ball rolling. It could end up real ugly. 

Once something else happens with Sportsnet people are gonna look back at this with flak. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog

Do i think he was intentionally being homophobic? No i really think he thought it was a harmless joke and didnt mean anything by it.

Will i put an ounce of effort into defending this piece of garbage? Heck no.

Will i be sad at all if this controversy helps get him off HNIC permanently? Once again heck no

21 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

Chris Rock was right you can't make a joke without offending someone. It was also a steroid joke

Ron told Bieksa that because he has a picture of a shirtless guy in his backdrop, that Bieksa would definitely test positive for something. How do you equate that to steroids? It came off very much like he was talking about HIV / aids. Plus, I think Bieksa had the infamous naked picture of Kesler behind him too.

I don't believe the positive test for "rum" apology for a moment. Ron deserves some criticism here, as much as people want to brush it off as cancel culture. That kind of "humour" doesn't cut it on taxpayer funded national broadcasting these days.

Edited by Slegr

1 minute ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

not a fan of his but honestly all this hyper sensitive stuff that's going on needs to end. it was just banter but he's on tv so now the pc police have to come for him and cost him his job. how long until the police come knocking at your door because you said something someone didn't like?

I think people wouldn't be all over him as much here if he hadn't disgraced his country, the network, the sport, and his whole family by dedicating 7 minutes to try to discredit Burrows when he had the courage to do the right thing and expose a corrupt official.  I want this unprofessional piece of garbage off the air by whatever means necessary, and I know I'm not alone here.  Rotten Ronnie should have been a couple of pages of a Victoria's Secret catalogue that got stuck together.

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Time to get Ron off the Air or no? Does he hate gay ppl?

0459D1A7-D0B2-453D-BFB5-400D03F202A2.jpeg

3B9ABC4C-F3F7-4BE0-BEC5-CB94854E4785.jpeg

How is that comment homophobic?   Unless I’m misinterpreting the comment?  Lots of guys that get together with women can test “positive” if they aren’t “wearing a tarp.”

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Patel Bure said:

How is that comment homophobic?   Unless I’m misinterpreting the comment?  Lots of guys that get together with women can test “positive” if they aren’t “wearing a tarp.”

He was referring to the shirtless photo in the background.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Patel Bure said:

Hell if i know lol 

its best to not talk and dont ever make a joke. You’re livelihood could be over in a snap

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I think people wouldn't be all over him as much here if he hadn't disgraced his country, the network, the sport, and his whole family by dedicating 7 minutes to try to discredit Burrows when he had the courage to do the right thing and expose a corrupt official.  I want this unprofessional piece of garbage off the air by whatever means necessary, and I know I'm not alone here.  Rotten Ronnie should have been a couple of pages of a Victoria's Secret catalogue that got stuck together.

I dislike him for the same reason but I'm talking about the bigger picture here. the woke/cancel culture that has popped up in the last couple years is at the point where its going to far. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1